StretchDog

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
hamoudoudou

Synaptic : update it to get all applications

#101 Post by hamoudoudou »

Synaptic : update it to get all applications as SSR simplescreenrecorder.
OK with Stretchdog.
NotaBENE Not true with XEnialDOG, which is strange (Version to reinstall)
SSR as an example, wex is available in menu multimedia for screencast and much more.
Attachments
isobooter.jpg
Isobooter used for Multiboot.. (easy way for newbies)
(52.99 KiB) Downloaded 506 times
multimedia.jpg
Stretchdog Multimedia
(63.08 KiB) Downloaded 504 times

fredx181

Re: Synaptic : update it to get all applications

#102 Post by fredx181 »

hamoudoudou wrote:Synaptic : update it to get all applications as SSR simplescreenrecorder.
OK with Stretchdog.
NotaBENE Not true with XEnialDOG, which is strange (Version to reinstall)
SSR as an example, wex is available in menu multimedia for screencast and much more.
If your question is: "How to install Simple Screen Recorder on Xenialdog?", it belongs in the XenialDog thread, so answered here (need to add ppa first):
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 811#989811

Fred

hamoudoudou

#103 Post by hamoudoudou »

"Synaptic : update it to get all applications as SSR simplescreenrecorder." means that Synaptic once updated will provide SSR
Nothing to do.. no repository to add.

fredx181

#104 Post by fredx181 »

hamoudoudou wrote:"Synaptic : update it to get all applications as SSR simplescreenrecorder." means that Synaptic once updated will provide SSR
Nothing to do.. no repository to add.
Indeed for Stretch... there's nothing needed to do first, just install SSR.
But for Xenial.... the extra repo needs to be added first, then it's possible to install SSR.

Fred

hamoudoudou

Packages for xenial are all icluded in Stretch

#105 Post by hamoudoudou »

Then the question would be why to use XenialDog when Stretch does not only the same but much better.
Packages for xenial are all included in Stretch

fredx181

Re: Packages for xenial are all icluded in Stretch

#106 Post by fredx181 »

hamoudoudou wrote:Then the question would be why to use XenialDog when Stretch does not only the same but much better.
Packages for xenial are all included in Stretch
Well, I am using Stretch myself mostly, but there are probably lots of reasons people may prefer an Ubuntu based distro (like Xenial)...
EDIT:
To be able to extend the package repositories with "PPA's" is a big advantage that Ubuntu has. (these ppa's are not supported for Debian, however sometimes it works)

Btw, SSR is only one example where Stretch has it by default and Xenial not.
That doesn't prove for me that Stretch is better in general.

Fred

wiak

#107 Post by wiak »

Nothing against Stretch as a distribution. However...

I don't know why Simple Screen Recorder isn't in Xenial usual repositories (though as Fred has pointed out there is a Ubuntu ppa that caters for it). I expect it is in Ubuntu Bionic repositories anyway. But it being in Debian repository and not in Ubuntu repository is an exception to the usual situation, IMO. The larger games packages my kids want (newest versions) usually cater for Ubuntu current version but not so much Debian I find - hence I use Ubuntu-based dogs in preference to Debian ones since, I find, usually, pretty much every application packager aims a new package release Ubuntu's way first...

wiak

hamoudoudou

i woud not spend days on SSR

#108 Post by hamoudoudou »

i would not spend days on SSR, but even precise Puppy got it in repositories (archives) I think Ubuntu users made a retrofit.. to provide it to people using Precise as a real LTS (schools mainly). Nice tool to teach using Video.
Dont forget Xvidcap (All included)
Xenial without FFmpeg is awful. as soon as you load a multimedia, it would be lucky if libav version fits (53 54 55 56 57 you see what i mean)

sszindian

32 bit programs

#109 Post by sszindian »

@fredx181

Just got into this Dog, very nice indeed!! Smooth as silk!!

Wondering what the trick is to install a 32bit googleearth 6.2.2 sfs in it? (I'm running the 64 bit)

>>>---Indian------>

For anyone interested... my little 'cloud pup' works great in this Dog after using the convert .pet to deb also, the NoBlankScreen ( from back aways, maybe Lupu?) works great also after a conversion with the .pet to deb program.
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

s243a

#110 Post by s243a »

I've been setting this dog up pretty slick, with tor, freenet, i2p, privoxy, foxyproxy, etc. I'm actually preferring the debian-dog distros over both Ubuntu puppies/dogs and debian puppies now for two reaons.

1. I think Ubuntu has more bloat the Debian
2. Many of the post install/configure scripts in Debian packages are tightly integrated with the system and fragile. I'm not convinced that puppy handles this well. For instance when I tried to install java from the debian repos on dpup stretch it didn't work for me. Sure I could use the Oracle version but if I'm going to use the debian repos, I want to take advantage of it's tightly integrated setup. Many debian packages expect things to be set-up in a certain way and I know if I use the debian package manager that it will get this job done right.

On the downside though, I find the menus harder to navigate. I like how puppy organizes things. Also I can't figure out how to give non root users (e.g. puppy) access to the display. This is causing me problems trying to run the tor browser.

Currently, I run the stand-alone tor with firefox but I mostly use it for the duckduckgo hidden service and other onion sites. There is a firefox plugin called, "open in tor browser" and I think that if I use a hidden service search it might be nice to open some links in an extra private browser.

P.S. I'm running this dog in a virtual box and it is working better in a virtual box for me than any puppy has (not counting fatdog64, which also runs well in a virtualbox).

P.S.#2 If I type "xhost +" prior to switching users then I'm able to open a display.

mikeslr

#111 Post by mikeslr »

s243a wrote: On the downside though, I find the menus harder to navigate. I like how puppy organizes things. Also I can't figure out how to give non root users (e.g. puppy) access to the display. This is causing me problems trying to run the tor browser.
My sometimes flaky memory suggests that StretchDog (all Dogs) are xdg compliant, while Puppy Linux isn't completely. In order for applications to appear in the categories on a typical Puppy Menu, each such category had to be defined as including one of the "Category=" argument of /usr/share/applications/xxx.desktop which Puppies recognize. Puppies recognized, and frequently used, categories include such definitions as "X-Internet" for a Web-browser, while a standard Linux distro might use just "Internet" or "Network". [Worse, a standard Linux might start the Category with such arguments as "Application, GTK" or other terms likely to create confusion].

I discovered this state of affairs while trying to get Xfce's Whisker-Menu to properly handle pets built for Puppy and discovered that peebee's LxPups (which are xdg compliant) had done a good job of it. The result was the xfce-applications.menu you can find on this post, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 426#961426. The post provides instructions how to use it. If your Window Manager is Xfce it can probably be used immediately in any OS.

Even if your Window Manager is not xfce, you may still find it useful. Defining categories took a lot of time as each Desktop file in a typical Puppy had to be examined for its "Category=" argument, and the argument appearing included in the definitions. So you may be able to use the file as a template after determining how to customize menus under the Window Manager you are using.

mikesLr

s243a

#112 Post by s243a »

when installing python3-gevent-dbg I got the following warning

Code: Select all

perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
   LANGUAGE = (unset),
   LC_ALL = (unset),
   LANG = "en US.UTF-8"
I then set the locals in the dog control center and checked and these environmental variables are still not set. It's just a warning and everything installed but perhaps there is one or two more environmental variables that should be installed in the system.

musher0

#113 Post by musher0 »

mikeslr wrote:
s243a wrote: On the downside though, I find the menus harder to navigate. I like how puppy organizes things. Also I can't figure out how to give non root users (e.g. puppy) access to the display. This is causing me problems trying to run the tor browser.
My sometimes flaky memory suggests that StretchDog (all Dogs) are xdg compliant, while Puppy Linux isn't completely. In order for applications to appear in the categories on a typical Puppy Menu, each such category had to be defined as including one of the "Category=" argument of /usr/share/applications/xxx.desktop which Puppies recognize. Puppies recognized, and frequently used, categories include such definitions as "X-Internet" for a Web-browser, while a standard Linux distro might use just "Internet" or "Network". [Worse, a standard Linux might start the Category with such arguments as "Application, GTK" or other terms likely to create confusion].

I discovered this state of affairs while trying to get Xfce's Whisker-Menu to properly handle pets built for Puppy and discovered that peebee's LxPups (which are xdg compliant) had done a good job of it. The result was the xfce-applications.menu you can find on this post, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 426#961426. The post provides instructions how to use it. If your Window Manager is Xfce it can probably be used immediately in any OS.

Even if your Window Manager is not xfce, you may still find it useful. Defining categories took a lot of time as each Desktop file in a typical Puppy had to be examined for its "Category=" argument, and the argument appearing included in the definitions. So you may be able to use the file as a template after determining how to customize menus under the Window Manager you are using.

mikesLr
Hello mikesLr.

Comments in no order:
-- You are the author of this xfce-menu re-build, yes?

-- Euh... there are still PuppyLinux X-Stuff categories in it? (Jo no
comprendo why!)

-- I browsed through your XML file. Poor man, you must've got many
headaches working on this: 300+ categories IMO are way too much,
considering there are only 12 basic "registered" linux desktop categories:
https://standards.freedesktop.org/menu- ... t/apa.html

(Thirteen cats [meeows!] if one includes the AudioVideo category. But
including it is an absurdity, if one considers that nowadays videos always
have an audio track. Plus Audio is audio: it existed before video and
therefore should never fall under an AudioVideo super-category, any
musician can tell you that!)

Not sure if the detailed Additional cats on the next page,
https://standards.freedesktop.org/menu- ... pas02.html
are worth using. since everybody can invent a few of those meeows
according to his/her own logic...

Have you perused technosaurus' work on menus from 5-6 years ago?
(It's somewhere in this bazaar of a forum!) He also reduced the number of
categories, IIRC simply by using the first category listed on the
"Categories=" line of the *.desktop files.

His work was the basis of work by former member aragon on aewm and
gtk-menu -types menus. (And then I plundered [NOT!] aragon's work on
aemenus! :twisted: ;) )

My 2¢.

~~~~~~~~~~
P.S. (10 minutes later)
Sorry for the ironic tone. I do not wish to imply you did not do a thorough
classification job: you did do a thorough job.

Please consider the above as a reaction of surprise from someone who
took the opposite direction regarding the same problem. Here is the code
I came up with for categories in the wmx menu:

en|*)case "$CateG" in # sorted
			Applicat*|Java)CateG="_Java" ;;
			Archiving)CateG="_Archiving" ;;
			*urning)CateG="_Burning" ;;
			*Business*|*Calculat*)CateG="_Business" ;;
			Database)CateG="_Database" ;;
			*Desktop*)CateG="_Desktop" ;;
			*evelop*|GUIDesigner|HexEditor)CateG="_Development" ;;
			*Document*|TextEditor|WordProcessor)CateG="_Documents" ;;
			*Filesystem*|PackageManager)CateG="_Filesystem" ;;
			FileManager)CateG="_File_Managing" ;;
			*[Gg]ame|*Fun*)CateG="_Games" ;;
			*Graphic*|Presentation)CateG="_Graphics" ;;
			*Internet*|WebBrowser|FileTransfer)CateG="_Internet" ;;
			IRC*|*Network*|Telephony)CateG="_Network" ;;
			*Multimedia*|Audi*|Video|Mixer|TV)CateG="_Multimedia" ;;
			*Personal*)CateG="_Personal" ;;
			*[Ss]etup*)if [ "`echo "$CateG" | grep -v izard`" ];then
					CateG="_Setup"
				else
					CateG="_Wizards"
				fi ;;
			*System*|Security|Hardware*)CateG="_System" ;;
			*Utility|Termina*|*shell|Monitor)CateG="_Utilities" ;;
TWYL, hopefully.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

s243a

#114 Post by s243a »

WebGL doesn't seem to be working on my Firefox-esr. Are there any guides on how to enable it and do I want to enable it?

I noticed it wasn't working because the globe didn't work on the right pane of zeronet:
https://bluishcoder.co.nz/2017/10/12/ze ... ronet.html[/img]

trister

old firefox for old machines with flash support included

#115 Post by trister »

Hello,
I am (again) at a position that I have to setup a lab with very different machines.
Some of them (again) are P4 with windows xp and less than 700MB ram and others are up to core2duo...

So, I created and post here some old firefoxes squashfs that are tested and work with the latest adobe flash.
My goal is to run some swf educational games with as low memory/cpu usage possible.

For the next Firefoxes you will need the following flash file:
adobe32-flashplugin31.0.0.108_180918symlinks06a.squashfs https://1fichier.com/?qywq9qzbq3plztkcvvns

Now you can pick what you want : This FF has adobe flash incuded so it is kind of stand alone
firefox3old-3.0.19.tar.bz2__32bit20100313okBuildInFlash_libconferror.squashfs https://1fichier.com/?znc8nly2ux2zbs07zovb

Note: some firefox might crash if you visit a very modern webpage.

I tested them all with freds stretchdog 32bit.
Last edited by trister on Wed 19 Sep 2018, 16:35, edited 1 time in total.

trister

#116 Post by trister »

If you like/liked Norton Commander, Windows Commander (Total) and midnight commander you can check this post:

Latest version of double commander 32bit and 64bit:

sample image:
Attachments
doublecommander.png
(180.53 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
Last edited by trister on Wed 19 Sep 2018, 20:07, edited 4 times in total.

rufwoof

#117 Post by rufwoof »

My default setup is to have root auto login and launch tmux - with multiple terminal windows opened as part of that, one of which is X launched as user. mc works well with that, and includes a reasonable text editor. The terminal window in the attached image is pretty much identical to how my console looks (I have terminal set to open in X to fill the screen next to conky, so I can also run the same sort of things from under user as well).

One quirk with Openbox and Conky is that you can't right click on Conky as though it were the desktop i.e. to show the main menu or whatever. At least I've not found a work around for that.
Attachments
s.png
(194.96 KiB) Downloaded 372 times
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

Moat

#118 Post by Moat »

rufwoof wrote:One quirk with Openbox and Conky is that you can't right click on Conky as though it were the desktop i.e. to show the main menu or whatever. At least I've not found a work around for that.
Appears it's a long-standing "bug" against conky v1.10+ on Github - the workaround being running an older version of conky where click-through works (i.e. - 1.9.0) and somehow preventing conky updating to the later version(s);

https://github.com/brndnmtthws/conky/issues/320

Bob

s243a

#119 Post by s243a »

I had java symliked to oracles version but I also installed openjdk. Everything was working for a while but now the link to the jvm is broken:

The symbolic links on my stystemare now as follows:

/usr/bin/java -> /etc/alternatives/java
/etc/alternatives/java -> /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/java
It would make more sense to me if /etc/alternatives/java pointed instead to

/usr/lib/jvm/default-java/java
this way one could easily change the JVM by changing the default-java symlink. I confess though I don't really understand how /etc/alternatives is supposed to work. Anway, I will make the default edits I think I should make to make the default-java point back to oracles JVM.

cd /usr/lib/jvm
rm default-java
ln -s /opt/java/10/0/2/bin/ java-10.0.2-Oracle
ln java-10.0.2-Oracle default-java
cd /etc/alternatives
rm java
ln -s /usr/lib/jvm/default-java/java java
**above was manually typed so hopefully I made no errors
*** Me putting Oracles jvm in the opt folder was completely arbitrary.

sszindian

Abiword No Print

#120 Post by sszindian »

Finally got abiword 3.0.2 to install in stretchdog (64bit) using the instructions fred posted on page 1 of this thread (yes, even the BIG download file)! However, although everything appears to work in it, 'It Won't Print'.

It says: Unable to send raster data to the driver (in the same line where it lists my printer config).

Any suggestions???

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]