Can't fix an app on desktop - always moves to active desktop

Using applications, configuring, problems
paulh177

Can't fix an app on desktop - always moves to active desktop

#1 Post by paulh177 »

On Precise (with whatever default version of JWM comes with it), I used to run 3 virtual desktops.

If I opened Geany on, say, desktop 3, and also opened a console on desktop 2, found a file and ran "geany filename" in the console, the file would open in geany on desktop 3.

Convenient - if I had to run a "find" in a console for instance then open that file, my desktops all remained static.

In Tahr (running the default JWM vgit-976 that comes with Tahr), if I open Geany on desktop 3, and open a file from console in desktop 2 as described, Geany "hops" to desktop 2.

That's annoying, but I've found that if I open (say) Sylpheed on a desktop, set it off to fetch mail, then change to a different desktop to continue e.g. writing this post (!), if Sylpheed pops a message box, it also move the whole Sylpheed app to the active desktop.

That is *super* annoying :roll:

Is this a configurable feature of JWM ?

Are there workarounds for this?

MochiMoppel

Re: Can't fix an app on desktop - always moves to active desktop

#2 Post by MochiMoppel »

paulh177 wrote:If I opened Geany on, say, desktop 3, and also opened a console on desktop 2, found a file and ran "geany filename" in the console, the file would open in geany on desktop 3.
Would JWM then switch to desktop 3 or would it stay on 2?
I can't confirm for Precise but for very old JWM versions the latter was the default behavior. The Geany window would kind of open in the background. I tested with JWM 2.0.1 (comes with Puppy 4.2) and a new Geany.

A question similar to yours was raised here.
Joe Wingbermuehle confirms that "when an application requests to be activated, JWM moves it to the current desktop". Apparently no option to change that. A bit strange that he doesn't mention the old behavior.

You can try the new fixed group setting in JWM 2.3.
This would switch to Geany's desktop and would not stay on the console's desktop.

paulh177

Re: Can't fix an app on desktop - always moves to active desktop

#3 Post by paulh177 »

MochiMoppel wrote:Would JWM then switch to desktop 3 or would it stay on 2?
Stays on d2..

I've also posted a query on this at github for JoeW, so it'll be interesting to see how he responds