BionicPup32 (UPupBB) (27 June 2020)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
watchdog

#301 Post by watchdog »

Flash wrote: Since upupbb is running entirely in RAM, shouldn't I be able to edit menu.lst, then remaster? I don't know where to put puppy acpi=off in menu.lst. Actually, I don't even know where menu.lst is.
I think you should mount the iso file and change only the file isolinux.cfg to show:

Code: Select all

default puppy
display boot.msg
prompt 1
timeout 50

F1 boot.msg
F2 help.msg
F3 help2.msg

label puppy
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.gz acpi=off pmedia=cd
Then rebuild the iso file. Full remaster not required. Editing the isolinux.cfg file in your current DVD can work.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#302 Post by Flash »

Thanks watchdog. Used to be, clicking on an .iso in Rox would mount the .iso. Clicking on the upupbb .iso does open a window that shows all the files in the .iso, but when I edit the isolinux.cfg file with geany, then try to save it, it won't save. What am I doing wrong?

I opened isomaster from a console, but that program is not exactly intuitive. For me, anyway.

If I burn the edited isolinux.cfg file to the upupbb DVD (as a new session,) do you think the boot process will use the new isolinux.cfg file instead of the original one? The way multisession Puppy used to combine sessions seems to suggest that it might.

watchdog

#303 Post by watchdog »

Flash wrote:Thanks watchdog. Used to be, clicking on an .iso in Rox would mount the .iso. Clicking on the upupbb .iso does open a window that shows all the files in the .iso, but when I edit the isolinux.cfg file with geany, then try to save it, it won't save. What am I doing wrong?

I opened isomaster from a console, but that program is not exactly intuitive. For me, anyway.
From a live session put the content of the iso file with the edited isolinux.cfg in a /mnt/sda1/DVD dir (for example). Then try in a console:

Code: Select all

mkisofs -D -R -o /mnt/sda1/new.iso -b isolinux.bin -c boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table /mnt/sda1/DVD
Then use the new.iso.
If I burn the edited isolinux.cfg file to the upupbb DVD (as a new session,) do you think the boot process will use the new isolinux.cfg file instead of the original one? The way multisession Puppy used to combine sessions seems to suggest that it might.
Just try it.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#304 Post by Flash »

Okay, I burned the edited isolinux.cfg file to the upupbb DVD (with Pburn) and when I mount the DVD the modified file is the one that shows in Rox. We'll see if it's the one the computer uses when it boots up. Probably in a day or two.

rufwoof

#305 Post by rufwoof »

Flash wrote:I opened isomaster from a console, but that program is not exactly intuitive. For me, anyway.
Once you've created a liveCD (DVD) its good practice IMO to also write the iso used to create that DVD disc also to that DVD (using pburn write it as you would any other file, but ensure if/when it prompts you to write as iso or single-file you select the single-file option).

With the iso on DVD, open isomaster (in a livecd booted gui desktop i.e. gui version of isomaster) and File/Open and select the /mnt/sr0/xxxx.iso ... (or wherever you dvd mounts) file. After isomaster has opened that iso file, in the bottom window of iso master all of the files contained within that iso will be listed/show, scroll up/down that list and single click the one you're interested in to highlight it, isolinux.cfg in this case, and once that's highlighted use the right click mouse menu on the highlighted filename and select the Edit option. That will open the file in your text editor, so edit the file as desired (for instance adding the acpi=off command to the relevant kernel append line), save the edited file (File/Save), and then back in the isomaster window use isomaster File, SaveAs option to save the iso. You can't save back to dvd so save it to /root/xxxx.iso (or wherever). That will take a little while as the new iso is saved and the OK button of the save becomes active once it has finished saving the new iso image. Click OK and close isomaster. Assuming you're using a DVD-RW disc to use the same DVD-RW disc that you booted from again, under Fatdog I use peasydisc to blank dvd, format dvd and then dvd-multisession burn that /root/xxxx.iso .... and after having burnt it I click the desktop Save Session so that it writes a single save file to that newly burnt DVD containing all my Fatdog edits/changes. I also have a copy of the xxxx.iso stored on hdd disk, and after burning/saving a 'new' dvd disc, I save the xxx.iso to that hdd disk as well as using pburn to write it as a single file to the newly burnt dvd disc (I also save a copy of the first save file from the dvd disc to that hdd location - so if the dvd disc ever failed I have a copy of the iso and savefile that I can use to burn another disc.

In my case I don't have a local HDD, only the DVD, my 'hdd' is a remote mounted (reverse sshfs) folder, where that server hunts down my fatdog dvd boot and connects/reverse mounts one of the servers folders allocated to fatdog (fatdog can't ssh to that server, even if its on the same LAN). I'm using a old single core celeron PC as that server (running OpenBSD).
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

mikeslr

BionicPup as the current Official Puppy?

#306 Post by mikeslr »

BarryK wrote:Hi guys, I just checked on Distrowatch, the last official Puppy was December 5, 2017, XenialPup 7.5.

Is BionicPup shaping up to be the next one?
Hi All,

I've been thinking about that. The objection seems to be that, as yet, there isn't a 64-bit Upupbb. And while I would hope that someone who knows what (s)he's doing will publish one soon, perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to advertise that peebee has published an up-to-date operating system designed to run on 32-bit computers placing emphasis on how little computer resources (RAM and CPU) are needed for satisfactory every-day-use.

My impression is that it is light on its resource demands. But I have fairly new/powerful computers. What's the oldest, least powered computer you know it runs well on?

mikesLr

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#307 Post by Flash »

Flash wrote:Okay, I burned the edited isolinux.cfg file to the upupbb DVD (with Pburn) and when I mount the DVD the modified file is the one that shows in Rox. We'll see if it's the one the computer uses when it boots up. Probably in a day or two.
Well, that didn't work. I still had to enter puppy acpi=off at the boot screen. :(

I had added the edited isolinux.cfg file to a upupbb 18.05+12 DVD, but I was running from upupbb 18.05+1 DVD. I didn't think that would make any difference.

I was delighted to discover that upupbb will save to the DVD and become a multisession DVD. :D

While the computer was down, I switched out 16 GB of RAM for the 4 GB that I had. Upupbb sees pretty much all of the new RAM. The only reason I can see to go to a 64-bit version of upupbb is to run programs that only come in 64-bit versions.

perdido

Re: BionicPup as the current Official Puppy?

#308 Post by perdido »

mikeslr wrote:
BarryK wrote:Hi guys, I just checked on Distrowatch, the last official Puppy was December 5, 2017, XenialPup 7.5.

Is BionicPup shaping up to be the next one?
perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to advertise that peebee has published an up-to-date operating system designed to run on 32-bit computers placing emphasis on how little computer resources (RAM and CPU) are needed for satisfactory every-day-use.
Not releasing this LTS OS when ready puts puppy further behind the power curve than it already is. In my opinion that makes no sense.

There being no 64-bit version (yet) should make little difference if a LTS 32-bit build is ready for release, its not like the 32-bit build is
unsuitable for a 64-bit computer. After all, a 32-bit build will run just fine on a 64-bit system, maybe even faster than a 64-bit build.
Ubuntu does have 32-bit libraries available. Most of the current puppy packages are 32-bit.

sszindian

UPup Bionic Beaver (upupbb) 18.05

#309 Post by sszindian »

As I recall... Over the past years, many pup's were released that had no 64bit counter-pups, including many of BK's!

Since this pup will also run (and very fast I might add) on a 64bit computer and it's doubtful a 64bit would perform any better, I say...

YES... RELEASE UPup Bionic Beaver (upupbb) 18.05 before it's already to late for any to enjoy it... and... it is one beautiful puppy!!!!

'Thank You peebee!'

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

Moat

Re: UPup Bionic Beaver (upupbb) 18.05

#310 Post by Moat »

sszindian wrote:YES... RELEASE UPup Bionic Beaver (upupbb) 18.05 before it's already to late for any to enjoy it... and... it is one beautiful puppy!!!!

'Thank You peebee!'
+1!! Seems ready to me - and even if it has a few as-yet-undiscovered minor bugs remaining... what OS doesn't??

Bob

mikeslr

upupbb as new Puppy Standard-bearer

#311 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

When I was first looking to replace XP and trying different OSes to find one which performed well on my computers, I would always look at Release Notes for two bits of information: Minimum System Requirements; Recommended System Requirements. The first would detail the lowest amount of RAM and the least powerful CPU required for computer usage you could tolerate if you had to; the second the amount of RAM and character of CPU required for a pleasant computer experience.

If the computer I was thinking of trying an OS on lacked even the resources for tolerable performance I wouldn't bother testing. If that information wasn't readily available, I'd employ the adage: "If you have to ask, you can't afford it."

Change may be 'the spice of life' but on a day-to-day basis people expect 'meat and potatoes'. Before undertaking so drastic a change as how your computer operates, most people want to know five things: (1) that the work they have to do to effect a change is minimal; and (2) easily undone; (3) that they won't have to do it often; (4) that they will be better off making the change than not, and (5) is this change likely to be better for me than some other change.

Linux Users are almost entirely made up of 'escapees' from Windows using "after-market" operating systems on computers on which Windows no longer provides tolerable performance.

We may know how good upupbb is; how much better the "Puppy Concept" of how an operating system should run is than the Windows/Linux norm. But why should a potential Windows escapee spend time trying upupbb rather than any of the hundreds of after-market-Linux operating systems available?

How do you cut through the noise? I suggest you do that by accurately providing information in an announcement --such as that Puppies run in RAM resulting in fast operations-- and including both the minimum and recommended system requirements.

So, I'll ask again: What are upupbb's minimum and recommended RAM and CPU requirements?

My least powerful computer has 4 Gb of RAM and a dual-core processor. If anyone has run upupbb on a computer with fewer resources, how would you characterize its performance on that computer?

a_salty_dogg

#312 Post by a_salty_dogg »

Wonderful smooth, fast, Puppy which does all I ask of it without issue (except for running any of my VLC .sfs's, but that I can live without), even got to like that initially annoying little circle by the cursor which indicates when you're hovering over a link!
Also it's probably the best looking Puppy OOTB since the now ancient Lighthouse 503 with all its bells and whistles (shallow, moi? :oops:).
So thank you peebee!

However a couple of annoyances:

I normally leave a number of external drives permanently plugged into my machine's USB ports expecting them to load in a specific order, currently:
sdb, 16 GB USB flash drive, one Fat32 partition, one swap partition.
sdc, 1 TB external powered hard drive, 4 NTFS partitions.
sdd, 32 GB USB flash drive, single Fat32 partition
Puppy itself currently boots from and saves to a directory on sda internal drive.

These have always loaded in the desired order on every Puppy I've ever used, going right back to the 2.14 and 4.00 days, and on multiple machines.
This is necessary, of course, to retain links like ROX-Filer bookmarks, default download & Transmission part-file locations, etc.

Now in UPupBB, I'm finding they always load in a different order, in the above example configuration, USB flash drives first as sdb, sdc, and external hard drive as sdd.
Have tried physically removing them after loading and replacing in my "correct" order, which fixes the order they appear in the file structure for the rest of the session but on reboot they revert back to the "wrong order".

Hope I've made my problem clear?
Can anyone help with explaining a possible reason why this is happening and only on this Puppy, and if I can fix it please?

The second problem (bug?) is far less important:
The keyboard shortcut to pause/resume Pmusic is normally "Alt+SpaceBar". Here what that does is to display the right-click menu which pops up when you click on the very top of any program window's border strip, to minimize the window or to move the program to a different workspace etc.
Can't locate any options to change keyboard shortcuts in the GUI preferences, so is there maybe a config file somewhere which I could edit?

Thanks in advance.

perdido

Re: upupbb as new Puppy Standard-bearer

#313 Post by perdido »

mikeslr wrote:Hi All,

So, I'll ask again: What are upupbb's minimum and recommended RAM and CPU requirements?

My least powerful computer has 4 Gb of RAM and a dual-core processor. If anyone has run upupbb on a computer with fewer resources, how would you characterize its performance on that computer?
Posting this from slowest puppy-capable system I have
-----------------------------------------------------
Running UpupBB on a Dell Inspiron 1.8GHz single core from 2005
1024MB RAM (1 GB)
Running fine, using half the RAM as a RAM Disk, other half for cache
Runs good on 1.8GHz and 1GigaByte of RAM
At least on this computer
Booting from USB2 takes a little over a minute
Attachments
system-info.jpg
Still have 700+ MB to play with on initial boot
(52.59 KiB) Downloaded 643 times

mikeslr

And on a reasonably powerful computer

#314 Post by mikeslr »

Hi perdido,

Thanks for the report. Now that the 2nd hard-drive on which all my 32-bit OSes are located [avoids confusion when trying to load SFSes and External applications] is again functioning, I can provide some information as to why on this reasonably powerful computer opening applications seems almost instantaneous.

Pertinent details from PupSysInfo:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz
Max Speed: 4000 MHz
Current Speed of Core 0:3299 MHz, 1:3300 MHz, 2:3299 MHz, 3:3299 MHz
Core Count: 2
Thread Count: 4

meltdown : Vulnerable
spectre_v1 : Mitigation : __user pointer sanitization
spectre_v2 : Mitigation : Full generic retpoline

This is version 18.05+6 using 4.9.96-lxpup-32-pae (i686) so may not be the newest.

Memory Allocation:
Total RAM: 7973 MB
Used RAM: 1266 MB
Free RAM: 6707 MB
Buffers: 137 MB
Cached: 986 MB
Total Swap: 0 MB
Free Swap: 0 MB

Actual Used RAM: 143 MB Used - (buffers + cached)
Actual Free RAM: 7830 MB Free + (buffers + cached)

IIRC, I flinched the kernel from lxpup because I knew that even running a 32-bit system it would still recognize the 7973 MBs of RAM present. Despite their designations as pae, not all such kernels do.

With SWIron 63 SFS open and being used to post this, PupSysInfo shows memory usage as:

Actual Used RAM: 306 MB Used - (buffers + cached)
Actual Free RAM: 7667 MB Free + (buffers + cached)

mikesLr

Mike Walsh

#315 Post by Mike Walsh »

Just a tidbit of information for y'all.

For anyone who might be trying to get the Openshot video editor installed in Bionic, and is having nothing but problems with the 2-series Qt5 version in the PPM, battleshooter's slightly older SFS package of 1.4.2 will install, and fire-up, without a murmur of protest.

I have nowt but praise for the amount of careful attention to detail battleshooter put into this package. Originally assembled for Carolina (as were many of his packages), it's running, with minimal 'tweaking', in many of my 5-series Pups.

I can't recommend it highly enough, and - to be perfectly honest - there's precious little the newer versions can do that this one can't. I installed it over the weekend (just on the off-chance), expecting 'problems'.....and was very pleasantly surprised when there weren't any.

You can find 'openshot-1.4.2.sfs' here:-

https://archive.org/download/Russoodles ... -1.4.2.sfs

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Tue 11 Sep 2018, 13:04, edited 2 times in total.

peebee

#316 Post by peebee »

Installed onto 3 old laptops....

IBM Thinkpad 600:
Pentium II (Deschutes)
Max Speed: 266 MHz
Current Speed of Core
Memory Allocation:
Total RAM: 141 MB
VGA compatible controller:
+ Neomagic Corporation NM2160 [MagicGraph 128XD] (rev 01)
+ Video RAM: 16M

Boots, runs (incredibly slowly - but look at amount of ram - thrashing swap) but browser bombs as it needs SSE2 (probably)

HP-550:
Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 550 @ 2.00GHz
Max Speed: 2000 MHz
Memory Allocation:
Total RAM: 2005 MB
VGA controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Mobile GME965/GLE960 Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:2a12] (rev 0c)
+ Video RAM: 256M

Boots and runs quite well.

Samsung-NC110:
Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N570 @ 1.66GHz
Max Speed: 3300 MHz
Memory Allocation:
Total RAM: 2003 MB
VGA controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Atom Processor D4xx/D5xx/N4xx/N5xx Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:a011] (rev 02)
+ Video RAM: 256M

Also boots and runs quite well

Asus X551:
Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU N2840 @ 2.16GHz
Max Speed: 2400 MHz
Memory Allocation:
Total RAM: 3834 MB
VGA controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Graphics & Display [8086:0f31] (rev 0e)
• Video RAM: 256M

Boots and runs fine

So I would say that 1.66GHz single core with SSE2 instruction set and 1GB of RAM is probably the minimum specs. unless anyone reports differently....
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

proebler

#317 Post by proebler »

Upupbb-18.05+11 quite happy on Pentium M with 750 MB RAM.
Frugal install on HD.
Grub4Dos booting in approx. 75sec.
Reporting using the provided Light browser.
Web connection using SNS with TP-Link (Ralink RT73) USB wifi dongle.

Pup-SysInfo Hardware Report (Summary), Tue 11 Sep 2018
Processes: 163 total, 2 running
▶—— BASE SYSTEM ——◀
Product Name: HP Compaq nc8000 (PQ168PA#ABG)
BIOS Vendor: Hewlett-Packard
Version: 68BAR Ver. F.12
Release Date: 08/17/2004
Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.60GHz
Max Speed: 1600 MHz
Current Speed of Core

meltdown : Vulnerable
spectre_v1 : Mitigation : __user pointer sanitization
spectre_v2 : Mitigation : Full generic retpoline

Personal Storage: RAM Disk
Size Used Free Use%
372M 260M 113M 70%

Memory Allocation:
Total RAM: 743 MB
Used RAM: 684 MB
Free RAM: 59 MB
Buffers: 45 MB
Cached: 407 MB
Total Swap: 0 MB
Free Swap: 0 MB

Actual Used RAM: 232 MB Used - (buffers + cached)
Actual Free RAM: 511 MB Free + (buffers + cached)

Linux Kernel: 4.9.96-lxpup-32-pae (i686)
Kernel Version: #1 SMP Thu Apr 26 11:45:00 +08 2018
Build GCC: 7.3.0
PAE Enabled: Yes
Kernel Command Line:
psubdir=BB forcepae
Distro: UPupBB 18.05
Window Manager: JWM v2.3.7
Desktop Start: xwin jwm
PUPMODE=5
PUPSFS=sda5,ext2,/BB/puppy_upupbb_18.05.sfs
PUPSAVE=
▶—— System Processes (top) ——◀
top - 20:06:07 up 16 min, 2 users, load average: 0.49, 0.65, 0.45
Tasks: 163 total, 1 running, 162 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
%Cpu(s): 12.5 us, 13.8 sy, 0.0 ni, 71.9 id, 1.7 wa, 0.0 hi, 0.1 si, 0.0 st
KiB Mem : 761604 total, 69356 free, 229992 used, 462256 buff/cache
KiB Swap: 0 total, 0 free, 0 used. 133312 avail Mem
▶—— Audio Devices ——◀
Multimedia audio controller [0401]: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller [8086:24c5] (rev 03)
• Kernel Driver: snd_intel8x0
• Memory Used: 22.84 KB
• Path: /lib/modules/4.9.96-lxpup-32-pae/kernel/sound/pci/snd-intel8x0.ko
• Description: Intel 82801AA, 82901AB, i810, i820, i830, i840, i845, MX440; SiS 7012; Ali 5455
▶—— Video ——◀
Xorg Startup Log (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
• Xorg Driver in use: radeon
• Loaded Modules: ati dbe dri2 evdev exa fb fbdevhw glx libinput ramdac synaptics
• X.Org version: 1.19.6

Mike Walsh

#318 Post by Mike Walsh »

Yah; I have to agree with perdido. This Puppy is definitely ready to take over the 'flagship' spot.....and Bob's right, too. You detail me one OS that went 'public' without one single bug in it.....and I'll stand you a beer or three at your favourite watering-hole. There's no such thing as perfection in software, no matter how much of its building may be automated.....because in the long run, it was still written by humans at some point....

...and we are fallible.

With regard to the 32-bit vs 64-bit debate.....what difference does that make? I've been running Puppies on a 64-bit machine ever since I started with them 4½ years ago, and my characterisation, quite simply, is this:-

a.) That 32-bit Pups run blazingly fast.

b.) That 64-bit Pups run no faster, but just seem smoother, somehow.....it's kinda hard to explain. (Maybe it's only my specific perceptions that give this impression; I can't say.)

My own interpretation of the mechanics of this are quite simple; that because of the way Puppy runs (in RAM for the duration of a session), a lot of the subjective, 'perceived' operating speed is going to be down to the latencies & access times of whatever generation of RAM your system uses (DDR1, DDR2, DDR3, whatever). Naturally, CPU generation, motherboard design factors, and quantity of RAM, will also contribute.....but the native characteristics of the RAM itself must have a considerable impact on the overall 'experience'.

How many 'Puppians' actually think that far into it? :lol: :lol:

Most of my favourites are 32-bit, of course, since Puppy's past is full of absolute gems; many of which are still perfectly usable as 'daily drivers'.

But definitely; Upup BB is ready for 'prime time'. Go for it, Peter!

Mike. :wink:

rockedge

#319 Post by rockedge »

Thank you Mike Walsh!
for the openshot link and I agree on the above.

James Gryphon

#320 Post by James Gryphon »

At the risk of being the noob with a chip on their shoulder, I have to say that I think the current release is actually a step back from Tahr and Xenial pups in overall usability.

I had a long rant, but I think I can condense it to a few points which are slightly less rambling:
1) There's a lot of unlabelled buttons and icons in the interface, which is bad for discoverability. Some things (like the new-default, non-traditional Puppy desktop, with its unlabelled dock) can be changed (although they shouldn't have to be). Others (like the buttons in the fringes of PupControl) can't be.
2) When it comes to the interface, theming, etc., there's a lot of buttons that send you to the same places as are linked to in another (apparently unrelated) configuration panel, without it being clear that that's where you're going. What's worse, it's possible and very common to then have buttons that go right back to where you came from, so you can very well end up with the same tool in multiple windows. Anything involving pTheme, as well as the Theme Switcher, are good examples of this.
3) Along the same line, there seem to be a lot of configuration tools, options and buttons in various parts of the interface that do or control the same things when just one tool would suffice (or maybe two -- provided that there's one clearly labelled "Quick" setup that actually is easier to use, and then the real, full config tool, with advanced options that aren't available in the other).
4) Desktop Icons arrangement names need some work. For example, it isn't clear exactly what "Minimal" and "Bin" are. What's worse, continuing in the same theme as the last two points, I think there is actually a control panel somewhere else that controls the same thing, offers more options, and has full text descriptions, but it's buried in something like the Event Manager that isn't obviously related to the desktop, and is hard to find if you don't know right where it is.
5) No Quickpet is not good for quick setup.
6) SFS tools seem a bit hit and miss. The package manager and universal installer in the dock's second menu option for the SFS manager didn't do anything when I tried it (admittedly, in VirtualBox). Based on the package manager, though, and the fact that I installed a SFS manager from a Pup repo, I'm not sure it's even built in. If that's so, having a menu option for something that's not included in the base system seems kind of misleading.
7) Not sure if this is a problem with the SFS manager or UPupBB, but I might as well hit on it while I'm here. The SFS manager wants "Puppy to be installed" before it runs. That's a weak error message. Installed to what? If they mean that they need a save file, that's one thing. That said, though, I'm not sure why it should simply refuse to run. If nothing it does gets saved, that's my problem.
8) I guess this is probably Joe's 'fault', not yours, but I do miss the Motif option and non-gradient window themes. Figured I'd throw that in somewhere. ;)

If you would like more detail or explanation of these complaints, I'd be happy to provide them. Puppy is in my opinion the greatest distro for flash drives. In fact, if Puppy doesn't work out over the long haul, I'm not sure there's anywhere else to go. And I'm not keen on staying with Xenial Ubuntu as a base forever and running increasingly old software just because I don't like new themes/the interface/whatever.
[b]Operating [i]Xenialpup 7.5 CE[/i][/b]