StemseeS-Remastering-Suite-V5.4 pet 22/05/15

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
tone303

#81 Post by tone303 »

Use option 8 on his 4.9 version

then you can rename the folder with a B instead of A at the start and use option 4 -- or you can grab the other boot-time files from the USB you already have from the default version

he gives you only 8 seconds to read and type options so you have to keep restarting the program, the counter does not disengage with any input. Be ready to know what the questions are after 2 or 3 restarts, then enter the answer fast , they are about which device to be the working directory and which device to write the new SFS on.

you can plug in a drive and keep typing sdb1 very fast before the 8 seconds expires

stemsee

#82 Post by stemsee »

Sorry about that link, the file was 0kb ... ??. Deleted and uploaded the latest simple-remaster-1.0.5.pet should go all the way to iso (if selected). No utilities yet. When I was writing the utilities i tested code in terminal to check working or not, but in the script some functions don't work reliably. When I rewrite the utilities I will not include such tools as exist in puppy and work easily without too much clicking! Will include savefile, swapfile, iso from workdiriso, workdirsys update, iso to usb. Anything else? Oh yes direct-to-sfs

https://mega.co.nz/#!cJJA3AKT!ediu1Y5mU ... -fRdcKckHM

stemsee

#83 Post by stemsee »

here is v5.4 but I stopped debugging in favour of simple-remaster

https://mega.co.nz/#!hJ4gnQRZ!_CBgVbdQ5 ... mLmDGoN5Rs

hamoudoudou

Remaster-x

#84 Post by hamoudoudou »

johnywhy

#85 Post by johnywhy »

hi, thx for script!

what's an "apupsys"?

i want to make an iso of xtahr 2.0, which can be used just like any puppy iso. Can boot live puppy, can install a frugal, etc.

During remaster, i picked gz compression (but don't understand benefits of each).
- Would the MAX option use less RAM during remaster?
- Would selection affect the footprint of a later frugal install? Or just size of iso? Or just the size of the sfs?

i generated an sfs using your script. Then i missed an option because i was out of the room, so it timed out and used default. It might be good idea to assume that someone isn't going to stare at the long progress, just so they can catch that question before it times out. But I didn't understand what it was asking anyway.

Then it asked about "apupsys" and "bupsys" or something like that. No idea what those are.

I picked option for iso from sfs. Then i got stuck-- script asking to pick a drive, and didn't understand what was being asked, so just closed it.

THX
[b]Now[/b]: X-Tahr 2.0! StretchDog! DevuanDog!
[b]Tops[/b]: TarhNOP Vlina-R2 Racy
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

mikeslr

Remastering

#86 Post by mikeslr »

Deleted. Intended as email.

stemsee

#87 Post by stemsee »

johnywhy wrote:hi, thx for script!

what's an "apupsys"?
apupsys is the directory used to copy your operating system files into for preparation as the remaster.
During remaster, i picked gz compression (but don't understand benefits of each).
- Would the MAX option use less RAM during remaster?
- Would selection affect the footprint of a later frugal install? Or just size of iso? Or just the size of the sfs?
gz compression is medium size quick decompression.
xz is smaller size slower decompress (not really noticeably slower on modern cpu)
xz MAX gets even smaller file size, takes longer to create and deflate.

So sfs and iso and frugal will all be affected in terms of size and decompression rate, but also should a kernel be used that has not xz compiled in would be a problem (show stopper).
i generated an sfs using your script. Then i missed an option because i was out of the room, so it timed out and used default. It might be good idea to assume that someone isn't going to stare at the long progress, just so they can catch that question before it times out. But I didn't understand what it was asking anyway.
complex problem... sfs-*unattended*-remaster, edit the script to choose your own defaults!! Or maybe I can provide a simple gui that lets user set defaults to be used regularly ... if I decide to rewrite this then will do so.
Then it asked about "apupsys" and "bupsys" or something like that. No idea what those are.
apupsys so named as will appear first in rox window, bpupiso contains results of remaster, ie main sfs vmlinuz and initrd plus boot files ready to make iso.
I picked option for iso from sfs. Then i got stuck-- script asking to pick a drive, and didn't understand what was being asked, so just closed it.
Probably pick a drive for iso file to be created on, created from bpupiso ... in case not enough space on partition or in ram!!

I often use this suite, does deserve a rewrite!
stemsee