palemoon browser

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
a_salty_dogg

#641 Post by a_salty_dogg »

Needs to be updated from 27 to 28 manually, as detailed here.

Sounds like the installer program isn't compatible with the new "profile format" and will no longer work, though 28.0.0 has the "update" button at "Help > About Pale Moon" so it's worth trying that when the next update's available.

linuxcbon

#642 Post by linuxcbon »

spiritwild wrote:I get the "failed to find version number" issue as well. is that a permanent thing or have they just incorporated updates into the software?
The new version has auto updates. Install it to /opt

bigpup

#643 Post by bigpup »

Youtube html5 playback starts, it works fine for some time, but after a while, it starts freezing.

In Palemoon preferences is the cache setup to auto adjust or do you have it set to a specific number?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

ntamas

#644 Post by ntamas »

bigpup wrote:In Palemoon preferences is the cache setup to auto adjust or do you have it set to a specific number?
In Palemoon preferences, the cache is set to default, factory, auto, which currently occupies an area of 24.2MB.
This is not the reason for the indicated problem.
But I no longer care about v28, I'm back to v27.9.4, it works perfectly.

linuxcbon

#645 Post by linuxcbon »

ntamas wrote:In Palemoon preferences, the cache is set to default, factory, auto, which currently occupies an area of 24.2MB.
This is not the reason for the indicated problem.
But I no longer care about v28, I'm back to v27.9.4, it works perfectly.
Why don't you use a 64 bit puppy ? V28 works perfectly on xenialpup 64.

Walter Dnes

#646 Post by Walter Dnes »

linuxcbon wrote:The new version has auto updates. Install it to /opt
Make sure that /opt/palemoon is writable by the user. But in Puppy, the user generally is root, so this won't be a problem for Puppy.

Walter Dnes

#647 Post by Walter Dnes »

backi wrote:Find 28.- slower than 27.9.4 ..........can anybody else confirm ?
Using 32 bit Version .
Apparently, hardware acceleration is not enabled yet on v28. If you have a newer machine with a fast CPU, you may not notice, e.g. my Ivybridge Dell with 8 gigs of ram. On my 10-year-old Core2 with 3 gigs of ram, 27.9.4 could handle Youtube 720p fullscreen in standard build, 1080p fullscreen with non-standard optimizations. But 28.0 can only handle 480p in fullscreen.

linuxcbon

#648 Post by linuxcbon »

Yes, hardware acceleration not enabled in version 28.0.0. :evil: youtube is impossible to use, much too slow, even in 64 bits linux. :evil: how could they miss this ?

ntamas

#649 Post by ntamas »

Walter Dnes wrote: Apparently, hardware acceleration is not enabled yet on v28. If you have a newer machine with a fast CPU, you may not notice, e.g. my Ivybridge Dell with 8 gigs of ram. On my 10-year-old Core2 with 3 gigs of ram, 27.9.4 could handle Youtube 720p fullscreen in standard build, 1080p fullscreen with non-standard optimizations. But 28.0 can only handle 480p in fullscreen.
That's why I wrote that version 28 is working properly on my 32-bit system for normal web browsing, the problem is with youtube and the WebM that it uses.

The fmmpeg and other codec dependencies needed to use WebM are on the machine, but WebM playback is still problematic.
It works, but not good, and after a while - as I wrote it - the machine starts freezing when it comes to youtube video, it does not respond to the mouse, the html5 player's config button on the youtobe website can not be used properly either. In this case, when the 28th Palemoon is frozen (or at least shows such symptoms), the mouse can not operate the config button on the html5 player built into the youtube page, only after multiple experiments. Even if I stop video playback, then I try to set the config button and change the video resolution. You have to succeed, but not to.
I did not encounter such a problem in version 27.9.4 of Palemoon. Here, my old computer can only play the 720 resolution normally, even on full screen. Video playback is not good at higher resolution.

jrb

Re: Pale Moon 28.0.0 released

#650 Post by jrb »

Walter Dnes wrote:Pale moon 28.0.0 has been released. Release notes are at http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml

Beware that 28.0.0 changes profile format. This is one-way, and you can't go back to 27.x with the modified profiles. If you want an escape hatch back to 27.x, back up the

".moonchild productions"

directory first, and restore when returning to 27.x. Preliminary testing indicates that PM 28 works as far back as Slacko 5.4. This would rule out Slacko 5.3 and Lucid (5.2.8.7). Sorry, no SSE-only version.

Distros should have updates soon. If you want to install from the tarball, see http://linux.palemoon.org/download/mainline/ Make sure that you select the proper version
32 bit ==> x86
64 bit ==> x64
Thanks VERY MUCH for the warning. Heading back to 27.9.4 until they get the YouTube problem sorted.

lost3.1

#651 Post by lost3.1 »

linuxcbon wrote:Yes, hardware acceleration not enabled in version 28.0.0. :evil: youtube is impossible to use, much too slow, even in 64 bits linux. :evil: how could they miss this ?
Yep youtube with 28.0.0 is slow loading,fuzzy, and stops.

Youtube with 27.9.4 works great.

palemoon 28 still has trouble loading (Google news)

I loaded (google news) with firefox-esr 45.9. much faster (it does have script message come up) but so does palemoon 28
Last edited by lost3.1 on Mon 20 Aug 2018, 00:04, edited 1 time in total.
[else Y if-false Y]

backi

#652 Post by backi »

Hi lost3.1 !

Yes it takes an Eternity to to load Google News with Palemoon 28.

Walter Dnes

#653 Post by Walter Dnes »

There's a tweak that may help a bit, but not as much as acceleration. In "about:config" change the value of gfx.canvas.azure.backends and gfx.content.azure.backends to read skia One person has reported that this improved performance during the beta testing. The skia code is included in Pale Moon so you do not need to install external skia libs.

lost3.1

#654 Post by lost3.1 »

Palemoon 27.9.4 YouTube works great on my computer.

I am going to keep it as an YouTube client.

Using Firefox ESR 45.9.0 to surf with.
[else Y if-false Y]

backi

#655 Post by backi »

Hi !
I have found a way to play Youtube (or others) Videos directly with a Mediaplayer like Smplayer or Vlc-Player ( in The Deb/Ubuntu Dogs and different other Puppies ) instead of Flashplayer.....by installing a Plugin/Extension to Palemoon Or Firefox Browser .
This Extension/plugin is called "Open With" .

"Open With" can be configured to play Contents from Youtube and a few other Sites with either Vlc-Player or Smplayer directly.....even their Equalizers work while playing Videos from that sites ...
think it even uses less Resources than Flashplayer (not quite sure).
I never/seldom use Flashplayer for playing Videos from Yotube.

ntamas

#656 Post by ntamas »

backi wrote: This Extension/plugin is called "Open With"
"Open With Edge, IE, Chrome, and More" is an extension designed for use only in Windows.
The extension automatically detects several popular browsers, based on entries in the Windows Registry. Portable browsers, and other browsers not automatically detected, can be added manually using the "Open With Edge, IE, Chrome, and More" options window.
http://addons.palemoon.org/addon/openwithieedge/

Mike Walsh

#657 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ ntamas:-
"Open With Edge, IE, Chrome, and More" is an extension designed for use only in Windows.
That kinda depends just exactly where you're looking, y'know. Strictly speaking, backi's right. As stated, it's for PaleMoon and Firefox. Now, I don't use Palemoon (though I've experimented with it, before now, on an elderly P4-powered Dell lappie.)

Alongside my favourite Chrome, I also use FF Quantum....and for that, there's this.

If you follow the instructions to install the minimal 'native client' (which is a doddle - even a nincompoop like me can do it..!), then Firefox will display an icon of VLC in the address bar, every time you land on any web-page that offers streaming video or audio...

Just click on the icon of VLC, and.....away you go. You may need to go into Menu->Addons->Extensions->'Open in VLC media player', click on 'More', scroll down the bottom, and enter the /path-to-vlc's-executable (followed by 'Save'). It's supposed to search the path variables to find the VLC binary.....but it doesn't hurt to give it a helping hand, first as last.

I'll recommend it.....even though I don't really use it. I have enough horsepower and RAM in the old Compaq desktop that saving every drop of system resources I can is not really an issue.

Nice find, backi!

Mike. :wink:

watchdog

#658 Post by watchdog »

Continuing to test palemoon 28.0.0 I have got aware of a big problem on my machine. Starting with a new profile I am not able to set the preferences. I can't also change defaults in about:config. I can't enter any string or make any menu choice. Closing the preferences and reopening it shows the previous setting I was doing without having feedback at screen. Very odd behaviour: I think a graphic problem. I have intel graphic card.

LATER: the problem seems to be restricted to xenialpup-7.5 32 bit with kernel 4.4.95. I started a live session and there is this problem.

LATER2: running xorgwizard and choosing modesetting solves the problem.
Last edited by watchdog on Wed 22 Aug 2018, 10:24, edited 1 time in total.

backi

#659 Post by backi »

Yes Watchdog that is correct ......it does not work as it should .Have this Problem in Debian Dog too .

@entamas :

"Open With Edge" is/works somehow different than "Open with " for Palemoon and Firefox .
" Open with " can be found here :
https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/open-with/

ntamas

#660 Post by ntamas »

backi wrote:
@entamas :

"Open With Edge" is/works somehow different than "Open with " for Palemoon and Firefox .
" Open with " can be found here :
https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/open-with/
Aha ... Going from the Palemoon web browser, it does not offer a download option for Firefox.

I have no other web browser to open if I do not need another web browser, I install one, but in this case I do not have to. For me, Palemone needs to be a normal YouTube treatment.
And what if there are no browsers on the image on the machine?
The video player is also questionable if no sms player is installed, what is it?

Of course, you can download the plugin from Firefox, but it needs a version of at least 57, and the downloaded .xpi file could be uploaded to Palemoon but it will not install the add-on.
How did you put this accessory on Palemoon?
In the last picture, Palemoon does not allow the installation of the add-in as it has corrupted the file, in fact the .xpi file is flawless, but the web browser does not allow Firefox addon to install.