How do you install Puppy on a second HDD?

Booting, installing, newbie
jacatone

How do you install Puppy on a second HDD?

#1 Post by jacatone »

I'm new to Puppy. I'd like to install it on an older HP Pavilion 6730 that has two HDDs. The first drive has crappy old Win98SE that likes to freeze all the time even though I've updated all the drivers. Would be nice to install Puppy on the second drive so I can learn it at my leisure. Anyone have any instructions? Thanks.

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

the simplest solution is to boot puppy from cdrom, then to run puppy's Universal Installer
, select install to hard disk, then see if it detects your 2nd disk. if yes, then select co-exist, follow all the defaults, install grub to the mbr, then reboot.

if it doesn't detect your 2nd disk...no, lets not think such negative thoughts!

Sage

#3 Post by Sage »

It's going to be advantageous in the longer term to fix your W98SE first. It needs scandisk daily on the partition carrying the OS, and Diskeeper (Lite version is gratis) at least once a week (the M$ defragger is rubbish). Then you can clean out the registry with eg Regheal and run SFC, occasionally. Never, ever visit any M$ site, including 'upgrades' and MSN/hotmail - they will reinstall Alexa and a bunch of other spyware, adjust settings, etc. that you just cleared out with Ad-aware, etc. Be sure you don't overload your memory if using W98 - it is incapable of handling it properly; stick to 256Mb despite what you read and live with the limiting consequences - at least you won't be suffering XP/Vista bloat and worse. Puppy will be happy with 256Mb, even Muppy.
You can then do a frugal install of Puppy to any partition or disc, or do a full install to your second disc. Frugal is best if you assiduously back-up and save and intend to manually upgrade to every new version. If GRUB breaks - it does that sometimes, just run <fdisk /mbr> from a DOS floppy, which will recover your access to your 'dozey stuff. You can then reinstall GRUB, alone, from the Puppy menu and recover access to everything.

Otter

Install on ext3 SATA drive

#4 Post by Otter »

The Puppy 2.14 manual available at: http://www.puppy-linux.info/en/main.html has a lot of useful information. Section 4.3 covers installing to a FAT32 partition.

I did the install to an ext3 partition on a SATA drive and it works great. The only changes for the directions are to modify the GRUB settings. The book has:
title = Puppy
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 loglevel=3 PMEDIA=idehd
initrd /boot/initrd.gz

In my case I changed (hd0,1) to (hd0,8) and PMEDIA=idehd to PMEDIA=idesd.

I'm new to this so I hope my directions make sense. Puppy is a lot of fun. I'm enjoying learning how it works.

CatmanDru

#5 Post by CatmanDru »

Are familiar with moving hard drives around and changing the jumpers (if needed) on the hard drives?

Also, what are the computers specs: the processor speed, RAM quantity, sizes of hard drives, CDROM speeds (if known), and maybe computer brand?

Sage

#6 Post by Sage »

Hope he's not using a proprietary box?! Is he American?