Macpup
3%
Fluppy
3%

Total votes: 66

takenp

The Best Puppy Linux Ever )

#1 Post by takenp »

Let's have some fun making kinda Distrowatch poll here (for newbies to get a point of view on puppy world)

I put here most popular puppy distros and their deriviatives (IMHO) among the wide variety of puppy forks famous as pupplets. Suggest your poll option if I forgot something on comments and I put it accordingly.
Last edited by takenp on Mon 20 Aug 2018, 18:59, edited 2 times in total.

darry19662018

#2 Post by darry19662018 »

Fluppy 013

csipesz

#3 Post by csipesz »

Precise 5.7.1

mikeslr

#4 Post by mikeslr »

Slacko 5.6/5.7. They should have their own listing, to distinguish them from earlier and later Slackos.

I'd also add a listing for Saluki/Carolina or add them to Wary/Racy as Racy was their 'parent'.

mikesLr

Edit. While this poll is for "fun", still it can provide some useful information, kind of like a Cubist painting.

Just took a look at your list again. I know that you need to keep it reasonably small, so appreciate why you've combined Lucid and Precise, and Tahrpup and Xenialpup. But FatDog and DebianDog are very different 'beasts'. They aren't even in the same genus. Sort of like having one listing for Zebras and Sea Horses. :lol:

If you need to shorten the list, perhaps do Slacko/Lighthouse as both are based on Slackware. But with a separate Slacko 5.6/5.7 listing. Although now 5 years old --Slacko 5.6's birthday was August 12th-- they are still touted as solid work-horses for almost all computers which have not yet been consigned to landfills. :(

p310don

#5 Post by p310don »

+1 for Saluki / Carolina

takenp

#6 Post by takenp »

ooops sorry guys but I cant edit the poll anymore ;(

smokey01

#7 Post by smokey01 »

@takenp

Fatdog and Debiandog are not similar in any way. Why would you group them? Just asking.

takenp

#8 Post by takenp »

@smokey01

It seemed to me Debiandog was based on Fatdog and made by the same person. I see I'm probably wrong. But I cant edit the poll. It became closed after getting results as I understand.

ITSMERSH

#9 Post by ITSMERSH »

I voted for Tahr, though it was hard to decide between Lucid and Tahr.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#10 Post by BarryK »

takenp wrote:@smokey01

It seemed to me Debiandog was based on Fatdog and made by the same person. I see I'm probably wrong. But I cant edit the poll. It became closed after getting results as I understand.
Fatdog and debiandog are completely and utterly unrelated and different!
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

bigpup

#11 Post by bigpup »

Well, Puppy 6.0 got this for Puppy.
That is Tahrpup 6.0
Attachments
linux%20format.JPG
(114.86 KiB) Downloaded 3825 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

nic007

#12 Post by nic007 »

The answer to this question may be hardware related, ie. which Puppy works best on your machine. I only use two Puppys on my 12 year old laptop, ie. Racy 5.5 and Tahr 6.0.5. Both work well but if I have to choose between the two it has to be Tahr mainly because tahr, as is, is more usable with its newer browser and VLC. Absolutely rock solid, so much so that it almost becomes boring to use as nothing ever goes wrong. There's only one irritation with the builtin version of VLC in Tahr, ie. the screensaver can not be disabled from the VLC settings (it doesn't work) you have to toggle it with the screen control application. So Tahr is the best but Racy on the other hand is a lot of fun to use. The whole Racy system is only 105MB (max compressed) in size. Works perfectly on my machine apart from Mplayer which crashes occasionally. I also use Racy when I want to experiment/tinker with stuff. BTW - I didn't vote because tahr and xenial is grouped together in the poll but I have video problems with the latter.

infromthepound

#13 Post by infromthepound »

Legacy.
It's my go-to if I have problems on my older boxes
JB

foxpup

#14 Post by foxpup »

infromthepound wrote:Legacy.
I miss the 2 and 4 series in the list. I would probably go for the 214 Classic Pup with the beetle from ttuuxxx then.

zagreb999

debiandog and pupjibaro-synaptic-openbox

#15 Post by zagreb999 »

regards
the best is
debiandog and pupjibaro-synaptic-openbox

MrToad

#16 Post by MrToad »

Fluppy 013 has been my favourite for ages now. It runs well on my ancient Sony Vaio PCG-FX301 laptop. Aside from the browser limitations due to having only 256 MB of RAM (!) the combination does everything I want, and does it smoothly and beautifully.

A lot of love seems to have gone into Fluppy 013. I often wonder what Jemimah could have done next.

I really like Carolina and Wary too, but Fluppy is definitely number one for me.

mikeslr

Slacko 5.7

#17 Post by mikeslr »

Well, I've finally voted and for Slacko. It was difficult to choose. Takenp has advised that the choices could not be amended. Although Xenialpup64 has been my default OS almost since it was published, and Tahpup64 for a couple of years previously, during all that time Slacko 5.7 has been the second most frequent OS I've booted into. The "Ubuntu-Puppies" may offer more choices in applications, and Saluki/Carolina may have provided a more elegant GUI and ease in expanding, Slacko 5.7 has proven to be the most consistent "Work-horse": the OS to boot into if you just wanted to get things done. 01micko's creation has passed the test of time. And thanks to the efforts of other fans such as mistfire, 8Geee, festus and MIke Walsh, it continues to be a viable alternative even today.

But my final reason for voting for "Slacko" was that despite the forgoing, the votes previously cast did not reflect what I considered the most significant factor. An operating system is merely the means by which you can accomplish real-world tasks on a computer. Slacko 5.7 has done that for five years on all but one of the 8 or so computers I've worked with [a Toshiba Satellite which rarely runs anything being the exception]. Indeed, it has outlasted 3 computers.

mikesLr

Volhout

Best Puppy ever

#18 Post by Volhout »

I voted for Lucid puppy, since it ran my business for almost 4 years (on 5 computers). And even until last year it was kept up to date.
There definitely has gone a lot of energy and love into this puppy. And I could get everything to work (with help of the forum...compliments for that support). Even WIFI with a worked using windows drivers.....

A good second was the Slacko series from 01Mick0, with 5.7 being my favorite. It had good out of the box compatibility with my newer hardware and was rock stable. The my own business was stopped, so my use of Linux was just personal use from that time on....

I have to admit that Tahr is also a well maintained puppy, and for that pure fact it would share 3'rd place, together with fatdog, the puppy that rizes from it's ashes every so many years for 10 years now.

In 4'th place for me would be Pupeee 4.31 (predecessor of fluppy) for eeePC's, that I took on many trips and never failed me, until the netbook died hardwarewise.

That's my vote...

Colonel Panic

#19 Post by Colonel Panic »

nic007 wrote:The answer to this question may be hardware related, ie. which Puppy works best on your machine.
I agree. I would probably have voted for Teenpup (later LegacyOS) had it been one of the options, or ttuuxx's Classic Pup, but neither will run on my current machine at all.

I don't think this should be confined only to recent Puppies. How about an oldie like PizzaPup (which I ran happily in 2008) or Deeper Thought, which I think came out the next year? Both looked good, were sparing of system resources and offered excellent functionality for the time. Then there was BoxPup, Fire Hydrant (I could go on).
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

pp4mnklinux

XENIAL

#20 Post by pp4mnklinux »

Hello everybody:

My vote goes to XENIAL PUP...

FASTER, HARDER..... SECURE

XENIAL 7.7 X64
Distro: xenialpup64 7.5 XXL
Desktop Panel: JWM ~ FbBox 5.0