Quirky Xerus 8.6 (Aug. 16), Beaver 8.7.1 (Sept. 21), 2018

Please post any bugs you have found
BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: q.sfs

#801 Post by BarryK »

lp-dolittle wrote:@ Barry,

in view of my recent posts, I'm wondering where q.sfs has gone in Quirky Xerus 8.6.
File finder also shows no result. A potential consequence of major architecture changes?

My inability to find q.sfs makes me feel embarrassed.
There may not be any q.sfs. Only if you run from cd, or do a frugal install.

Booting from the usb stick, it is a full install on the usb stick and there is no q.sfs.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Billtoo

Quirky Xerus 8.6 for x86_64, released Aug. 16, 2018

#802 Post by Billtoo »

Hi Barry,

I disconnected the HDMI cable from the 32" TV and connected to a much
smaller wide screen monitor that uses vga cable, changed sound settings
etc:

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Fri 17 Aug 2018 on Quirky Xerus64 8.6 Linux 4.14.63 x86_64
2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Sky Lake Integrated Graphics (rev 06)
oem: Intel(R) SKL Mobile/Desktop Graphics Chipset Accelerated VGA BIOS
Binary file (standard input) matches

X Server: Xorg Driver: evdevpowerbuttonvendor0product0x1
X.Org version: 1.18.4
dimensions: 1600x900 pixels (423x238 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 (Skylake GT2)
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 18.0.5

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100T CPU @ 3.20GHz
Core 0: @1008 1: @944 2: @891 3: @957 MHz

The trash and zip icons are still in the wrong position.
I added gxine and when I try to go full screen with it about an inch on
the right side of the screen isn't covered which seems odd as well.

Thanks.
Attachments
screenshot2.jpg
(93.51 KiB) Downloaded 1036 times

Rodney Byne

Re 8.5 to 8.6 upgrade

#803 Post by Rodney Byne »

Barry,
the guinea pig is feeling a bit sheepish.

Prior to attempting to run the update pet,
booting usb 8.5 to my horror showed a kernel
panic.
No sync to no init found, in a screenful of
scary technical stuff which locked up the laptop.
Don't think any of this was of my making, as
the last closedown was done correctly.

I had to remove & refit the battery to restore
normal pc operation.
Later, on closer examination of the usb content,
nearly all files had disappeared to mush.
That's all I can say..

Anyway after a gparted cleanup, did an uneventful
easydd install and 8.6 is working as posted by this.
Regards.

pecha

Quirky Xerus 8.6 for x86_64

#804 Post by pecha »

This is my first time trying out a Quirky release. I'm really liking it. I didn't do a full install (after all the trouble I had with Xenial I was leery to mess with my system since it's running Win7 and Mint w/ Cinnamon just fine). I used the save feature instead. I ran the video wizard and somehow managed to get my two monitors extended rather than copied. I love Seamonkey, always did since I discovered it using Puppy on and off since 3.something maybe earlier. This is so fast. I love fast. I fished this pc out of a dumpster, cut it out of it's case, added ram and hd a few years ago. It'll never run 2 point hospital but thanks to Puppy I'm sure I'll be able to run it a good long time. Just like all the other old junkers I've had over the years. I couldn't get Chromium to work, says it needs Python3:any. Firefox runs great tho. This Puppy feels more like the original ones. Love PUPPY!!! THANKS!!!!!

Rodney Byne

To pecha re Xenial

#805 Post by Rodney Byne »

Hello pecha,
I read your post above with interest and achievements so far.

Run here a similar arrangement to yourself;
Advent Modena laptop dual booted with Win7 and
Mint 18.2/w Mate.
Likewise myself, I wouldn't mess further with the hdd,
so test run all linux distros on bootable usb sticks.

Interestingly, I have a 16gig stick with xenialpup 7.5
to boot, after holding down the multiboot key f11
then pressing enter to run.
It is one of my favourite distros, clean lines, works well,
no problems that come to mind.
So I wonder out of curiosity what version and difficulties
you experienced.
BTU
Best regards.

Sage

#806 Post by Sage »

X-Q/Q-x v 6.5 - re-uploaded version: iso>CD-RW.
Opens OK
Loading zram > OK
then
Searching drives: [curious? why?] nothing happens for ~5mins, then sda1 appears on same line.
Follows various lines of garbage terminating in KP, ending on [310.726103].
Even weirder, attempts to reboot fail to detect sr0 (which is entirely kosher in all other uses) at all, which has corrupted whole CD-RW (should've used CD-R?).
Comments?
Later: 3rd d/l, 5th burn, almost same but stops (almost?) completely* at Searching Drives.
Surely it doesn't want to search my drives, trying to use as liveCD.

*about 30mins later, KP with different address.

roadkill13

#807 Post by roadkill13 »

Installed to USB on my Dell 745 USFF:
# inxi -F
System: Host: QUIRKYPC25939 Kernel: 4.14.63 x86_64 (64 bit)
Desktop: JWM git-976 Distro: Quirky 8.6 xerus64
Machine: System: Dell product: OptiPlex 745 serial: JR9TYD1
Mobo: Dell model: 0GW726 serial: ..CN6986179L0353.
Bios: Dell v: 2.6.6 date: 06/26/2011
CPU: Dual core Intel Pentium Dual E2180 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB
clock speeds: max: 1287 MHz 1: 1287 MHz 2: 1220 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel 82Q963/Q965 Integrated Graphics Controller
Display Server: X.org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
tty size: 80x24 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Audio: Card Intel 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.14.63
Network: Card: Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5754 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express
driver: tg3
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full
mac: 00:1a:a0:6c:73:4b
Drives: HDD Total Size: 515.8GB (0.5% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD5000AAKX size: 500.1GB
ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: Cruzer_Blade size: 15.7GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 14G used: 2.2G (16%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb2
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info: Processes: 96 Uptime: 5 min Memory: 333.7/3878.8MB
Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.35
All is well so far.

Reneetje
Location: The Netherlands, Fryslan - Foar de kofje net eamelje

Works fine

#808 Post by Reneetje »

Thank you mr. Kauler for the latest QuirkyXerus 8.6
Most programs work excellent. :D

Greetings,
Rene
Attachments
QuirkyXerus86.png
(225.75 KiB) Downloaded 880 times

Sage

#809 Post by Sage »

supra Seems there should not be an IDE hard drive present on my iCORE2/2Gb/nV if 6.5 is to start correctly!
There is something in the start-up procedure that prevents booting unless I unhook that drive. Probably BK can fix but not YT.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Quirky Xerus 8.6 for x86_64

#810 Post by BarryK »

pecha wrote:I couldn't get Chromium to work, says it needs Python3:any. Firefox runs great tho. This Puppy feels more like the original ones. Love PUPPY!!! THANKS!!!!!
Regarding Chromium, I presume that you got it from the Package Manager?

gcmartin posted about that, informed that need to start it in a terminal:

Code: Select all

# chromium --no-sandbox
...you can probably find some posts about this on the forum. I haven't tested it.

lp-dolittle

'live' flash stick

#811 Post by lp-dolittle »

Hi all,

not really sure whether I simply reinvented the wheel or had a useful idea, I would like to mention a so far little or unregarded (?) installation variant that might be of interest to some users.
Thinking of the advantages (security) as well as of the limitations (no simple save option) of live-CD/DVDs, I tried to create a 'live'-flash stick as follows:

1. I dd-ed the xerus64-8.6.iso file onto a flash stick (64 GB)
2. After successfully booting xerus64-8.6 from the stick, I created a new partition and formatted it to ext4, before shutting down for the first time.
2a. as shown by the screenshot below, it seems to be essential that this partition be placed at the end of the drive, leaving space between the fat32- and the new ext4-partition. Remarkably the names of the fat32 and the ext4 partions appear to be inversed
3. at shutdown, when asked for the remaster/save option, I choose 'save' and selected the additionally created ext4 partition which in my case is sdc1 not sdc2!
4. the next boot up resulted in a so far nicely working xerus64-8.6, the flash stick can be removed if nothing needs to be saved.
When the 'live'-flash stick later is used on a different PC, the keyboard layout may need readjustment.

As compared with the full install-, the remaster- and the live-CD/DVD- options, the 'live'-flash stick can be cosidered an intermediate variant, more versatile in some respects, yet equally save as a live-CD if it is used appropriately (removed after boot up; no saving after safety-critical applications). Furthermore, a CD/DVD drive no longer is required.

See partitioning details from the attached screenshot

kind regards
Attachments
flash drive partitions.png
(82.23 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
Last edited by lp-dolittle on Mon 20 Aug 2018, 19:30, edited 2 times in total.

roadkill13

#812 Post by roadkill13 »

pecha wrote:
I couldn't get Chromium to work, says it needs Python3:any. Firefox runs great tho. This Puppy feels more like the original ones. Love PUPPY!!! THANKS!!!!!

Regarding Chromium, I presume that you got it from the Package Manager?

gcmartin posted about that, informed that need to start it in a terminal:

Code:
# chromium --no-sandbox

...you can probably find some posts about this on the forum. I haven't tested it.
I installed Chromium from the package manager. It runs fine as user SPOT.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: 'live' flash stick

#813 Post by BarryK »

lp-dolittle wrote:Hi all,

not really sure whether I simply reinvented the wheel or had a useful idea, I would like to mention a so far little or unregarded (?) installation variant that might be of interest for some users.
Thinking of the advantages (security) as well as of the limitations (no simple save option) of live-CD/DVDs, I tried to create a 'live'-flash stick as follows:

1. I dd-ed the xerus64-8.6.iso file onto a flash stick (64 GB)
2. After successfully booting xerus64-8.6 from the stick, I created a new partition and formatted it to ext4, before shutting down for the first time.
2a. as shown by the screenshot below, it seems to be essential that this partition be placed at the end of the drive, leaving space between the fat32- and the new ext4-partition. Remarkably the names of the fat32 and the ext4 partions appear to be inversed
3. at shutdown, when asked for the remaster/save option, I choose 'save' and selected the additionally created ext4 partition which in my case is sdc1 not sdc2!
4. the next boot up resulted in a so far nicely working xerus64-8.6, the flash stick can be removed if nothing needs to be saved.
When the 'live'-flash stick later is used on a different PC, the keyboard layout may need readjustment.

As compared with the full install-, the remaster- and the live-CD/DVD- options, the 'live'-flash stick can be cosidered an intermediate variant, more versatile in some respects, yet equally save as a live-CD if it is used appropriately (removed after boot up; no saving after safety-critical applications). Furthermore, a CD/DVD drive no longer is required.

See partitioning details from the attached screenshot

kind regards
Congratulations on your initiative!

Yes, that is a way that you can do it. And yes, has some advantages, such as remove-after-bootup, and optional saving.

Also, you can wind back to a pristine system just by deleting the contents of that partition.

Reneetje
Location: The Netherlands, Fryslan - Foar de kofje net eamelje

'live' flash stick

#814 Post by Reneetje »

I prefer a single burned live-cd above usb/live stick, because a single burned live-cd can't and will never be infected.
About usb, because it's a bootable usb, it's possible the MBR can be infected.

lp-dolittle

live-flash stick

#815 Post by lp-dolittle »

Hi Reneetje,

if striving for the utmost security is the main goal, you are right, a live-CD (and no hard disk present) admittedly is first-choice.

In most other respects, the versatility of a live-flash stick offers interesting options. As compared with a flash stick full installation, the live-flash stick variant, not least, also may increase the stick's durability because read/write-operations only occur at boot up and while saving.

The availability of RAM - depending on the currently used PC's hardware configuration - certainly is a limiting factor which may variably affect a live-flash stick's functionality.

kind regards

Sage

#816 Post by Sage »

Ah-ha:
you are right, a live-CD (and no hard disk present) admittedly is first-choice.
that may give a hint, lp, as to what's wrong, presuming it's not intentional, with the .iso version of 6.5 that's giving me this problem? The code may not have been altered from the version .img intended for USB/SD-card which does expect to write material at first boot-up. I'm certainly no coder- far from it - but I've observed the way stick/card .img versions manipulate something? at first boot and write it to the media - clearly intentional. So, the .iso from CD-RW is also trying to do this and can corrupt its own CD if it be an RW and possibly any HD already present (! must check to see if HD is corrupted, too). Needs the bossman or another savvy guy to check this and put me right.

Billtoo

Quirky Xerus 8.6 for x86_64, released Aug. 16, 2018

#817 Post by Billtoo »

I installed to a 64gb flash drive with easydd:

System: Host: QUIRKYPC18789 Kernel: 4.14.63 x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: JWM git-976
Distro: Quirky 8.6 xerus64
Machine: System: Hewlett-Packard product: HPE-410f serial: MXX0370KF3
Mobo: FOXCONN model: 2AB1 v: 1.00 Bios: American Megatrends v: 6.02 date: 07/21/2010
CPU: Hexa core AMD Phenom II X6 1045T (-MCP-) speed/max: 949/2700 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Redwood PRO [Radeon HD 5550/5570/5630/6510/6610/7570]
Display Server: X.org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
tty size: 106x29 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Network: Card-1: Ralink RT3090 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe driver: rt2800pci
Card-2: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169
Drives: HDD Total Size: 1126.3GB (1.2% used)
Weather: Conditions: 64 F (18 C) - Partly Cloudy Time: August 20, 8:53 AM EDT
Info: Processes: 140 Uptime: 30 min Memory: 163.0/7986.8MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.35

Added a few small applications with petget,also added some kdegames.

Works okay sp far.
Thanks.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(65.1 KiB) Downloaded 1361 times

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#818 Post by Flash »

I downloaded the Xerus64.8.6 iso and burned it to a DVD. So far, it booted in my older desktop and in my brand new Dell Inspiron 15 (5570) laptop without having to use any boot codes in either one. I'm not sure it was necessary but I fiddled around with UEFI and Secure Boot settings in the laptop's BIOS before trying to boot the Xerus DVD. I probably have the whole thing horribly misconfigured now, but it works.

I was pleasantly astonished to discover that the laptop's touch screen worked right out of the box. In fact, no configuring was needed for most of the hardware. I had to go to my desktop computer and google how to right-click using the laptop's touch pad (press the lower right corner). The only real problem in the laptop so far is that the screen won't shut off when the lid is closed, nor does the screen saver ever shut the screen off, even though it appears to be set to do so after 10 minutes. The screen saver works in my desktop computer.

I bought this particular laptop because it was the only one in the store with a DVD burner. When I tried remastering Xerus, the program didn't complain about anything and in fact claimed that it burned a DVD, but it didn't. The same thing happened in my desktop computer, so I don't think the failure is due to a quirk in the laptop.

lp-dolittle

xerus64-8.6.iso

#819 Post by lp-dolittle »

@ Sage

maybe, the attached screenshots which were taken after dd-ing the xerus64-8.6.iso onto a flash stick are of interest to you.

In fact, the dd-command has some remarkable effects:

1: As shown in the first screenshot, seemingly, 1 fat32 partition (here called sdc2) is created, while the rest of the drive's space - according to gparted - is unallocated. However, the desktop also shows a tray-icon (sdc1) for this space.
2: on second sight (screenshot 2), both tray-icons respond to the mount-command, and sdc1 proves not to be empty!
3. for what reason are the partition designations inversed?

In retrospect, no wonder that my live-flash stick configuration only works if some space is left between the (UEFI-aware) fat32 partition and the later created ext4 (save)-partition (sdc1).

I'm aware that these observations, despite partially confirming your assumptions, cannot really explain your live-CD problem.

kind regards
Attachments
gparted after dd-ing xerus64-8.8.iso to sdc.png
(71.67 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
gparted after dd-ing xerus64-8.6.iso to sdc sdc1 and sd2(!) mounted.png
(121.93 KiB) Downloaded 103 times

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#820 Post by Flash »

An update to my last post: the screensaver started working (the screen shuts off after ten minutes) after I opened Menu -> Desktop -> ScreenSaver Control, clicked Disable then Enable several times, then Exit.

I think I noticed this before in my desktop. Sorry I forgot to mention it until now.