XenialDog 64bit (Ubuntu 'Xenial Xerus' LTS, 64-bit)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
quantumbox

#401 Post by quantumbox »

fredx181 wrote:
quantumbox wrote:Are there any solution to scan installed modules or apps to match apt installed list?
Maybe you can explain better what you want to accomplish and I'll try to answer, but in general I'd say:
After remaster, start with fresh save !

Fred
On puppy linux when updating system, i just copy all new sfs files, vmlinuz and initrd, remining old save folder. When first boot, system detect an update and clean old save files and configuration, but keep custom old installed apps and configuration. I wonder if BionicDog can do something like this

fredx181

#402 Post by fredx181 »

quantumbox wrote:On puppy linux when updating system, i just copy all new sfs files, vmlinuz and initrd, remining old save folder. When first boot, system detect an update and clean old save files and configuration, but keep custom old installed apps and configuration. I wonder if BionicDog can do something like this
Ah, yes, I think I see what you mean, I once did update a Puppy(new ISO release) and the old savefile got converted accordingly, worked very well.
No, such thing is not possible with the 'Dog' distro's.

Fred

quantumbox

#403 Post by quantumbox »

fredx181 wrote:Ah, yes, I think I see what you mean, I once did update a Puppy(new ISO release) and the old savefile got converted accordingly, worked very well.
No, such thing is not possible with the 'Dog' distro's.

Fred
For now I'm happy with save folder and upgrade all packages, maybe save folder is quicker than compressed file. I'm not sure how frugal install realy works, is it checking save folder first or vice versa

fredx181

#404 Post by fredx181 »

quantumbox wrote:For now I'm happy with save folder and upgrade all packages, maybe save folder is quicker than compressed file. I'm not sure how frugal install realy works, is it checking save folder first or vice versa
The files in the save folder will overwrite any files with same name that exist in any .squashfs modules loaded at boot.
(hopefully this answers your question, I may have misunderstood it)

Fred

fredx181

#405 Post by fredx181 »

From question here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 76#1002376
d_vineet wrote:In Dog, It detected eth0, I could access the net.
Then disconnected the wire, set-up wifi and connected.
Now when again I wish to return to eth0, there is no wizard or tool for eth (SNS rocks in puppy).
It tries to connect to eth but fails.
Hi d_vineet,

From Network tray Icon > Setup networking:
If connected to wireless, then click "Stop Wi-Fi", it should connect to wired connection again.

Fred
Attachments
xendog-20180818182433.jpg
(39.36 KiB) Downloaded 164 times

d_vineet

#406 Post by d_vineet »

I will retry and post about the result.
Thanks.

d_vineet

#407 Post by d_vineet »

Third time reboot to xenialdog64.
This time, neither eth0 nor wlan0 could be set.
Same messages saying 'ip address request failed for eth0'.

(writing this reply by booting back to xenialpup). Internet works ok in puppy.
Last edited by d_vineet on Sun 19 Aug 2018, 08:23, edited 1 time in total.

fredx181

#408 Post by fredx181 »

d_vineet wrote:Third time reboot to xenialdog64.
This time, neither eth0 nor wlan0 could be set.
Same messages saying 'could not acquire ip address'.

(writing this reply by booting back to xenialpup). Internet works ok in puppy.
Sorry to hear, works for me switching between wired and wireless, but don't know what exactly you did.
Third time reboot is with saving changes ?
Maybe start fresh (with clean/empty save) and try again ?

EDIT: Or install frisbee, it uses dhcpcd, which may work better for you.
From Synaptic or with apt-get:

Code: Select all

apt-get update
apt-get install frisbee
Fred

d_vineet

#409 Post by d_vineet »

fredx181 wrote: Sorry to hear, works for me switching between wired and wireless, but don't know what exactly you did.
For disconnecting wifi, I clicked the 'disconnect' button in 'wireless network setup' tool.
It flashed the msg 'wlan0 disabled. Then I connected LAN wire.
it asked me to 'wait while eth0 is being configured'.
But lastly it flashed ''ip address request failed for eth0'.
Third time reboot is with saving changes ?
Maybe start fresh (with clean/empty save) and try again ?
without saving changes. Fresh always.
EDIT: Or install frisbee, it uses dhcpcd, which may work better for you.
From Synaptic or with apt-get:

apt-get update
apt-get install frisbee
Fred
OK.
Still better, can you pl help me reg how do I install Barry's SNS in xenialDog?
It rocks.
Thanks.

fredx181

#410 Post by fredx181 »

d_vineet wrote:For disconnecting wifi, I clicked the 'disconnect' button in 'wireless network setup' tool.
I'm confused ! Can't see a 'disconnect' button in XenialDog64 wireless setup .
Are we talking about the same OS ?
I use frugal install from XenialDog_64bit-openbox_jwm-2017-01-22-firmware-all.iso (latest)
https://github.com/DebianDog/xenialdog/ ... re-all.iso

Fred

d_vineet

#411 Post by d_vineet »

@fredx181,
I apologize for saying 'disconnect' button.
I meant to say 'stop wi-fi' button.

Again, sorry for the inconvenience.
And yes, I confirm that we are talking about the same OS.

fredx181

#412 Post by fredx181 »

d_vineet wrote:I apologize for saying 'disconnect' button.
I meant to say 'stop wi-fi' button.
Apology accepted ! :)
(I was thinking for a while you were talking about Bionicdog, since you wrote about that earlier)
Btw, BionicDog may be a better choice for you, some bugs fixed that existed in Xenialdog (and has peasywifi as network-manager, which may work better for you)
I had a look already at "simple network setup", won't be easy to package it for Xenialdog, but I'll try, will get back later about it.

Fred

d_vineet

#413 Post by d_vineet »

fredx181 wrote:Btw, BionicDog may be a better choice for you, some bugs fixed that existed in Xenialdog (and has peasywifi as network-manager, which may work better for you)
Thanks for your advise.
Accordingly, I downloaded & tried BionicDog 64bit.
Peasy WiFi works OK. I could now switch between eth0 & wlan0.
But in tray, it always shows 5 vertical lines as icon (which is normally shown for wifi). Can't figure out whether eth0 is connected or wlan0 is connected. On mouse hover, it shows just 'peasy wifi'. (and not how much inbound/outbound traffic, which i/f is connected, etc.).
I had a look already at "simple network setup", won't be easy to package it for Xenialdog, but I'll try, will get back later about it.

Fred
'Wish to have' is SNS in BionicDog.
As per your convenient free time, request you to try n configure SNS for BionicDog 64bit.
Thanks.

fredx181

#414 Post by fredx181 »

d_vineet wrote:'Wish to have' is SNS in BionicDog.
As per your convenient free time, request you to try n configure SNS for BionicDog 64bit.
See for SNS deb package and info in BionicDog thread:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 81#1002581
From what I tested, it works on Xenialdog64 also, btw.

Fred

d_vineet

#415 Post by d_vineet »

Thanks. Posted my detailed reply on BionicDog thread.

wiak

#416 Post by wiak »

Hi Fred,

My about to turn seven year old son's XenialDog64 system, which is installed on an SD card has finally, after a year or more of use developed a fault. I believe the SD card simply got over-filled up and became corrupted. I've used fsck to clean up the boot errors however their is an obmenu pipe error message: something like /usr/bin/perl /usr/local/bin/obmenu -? (I forget the switch, maybe it's -i and maybe its obmenu-generator or somesuch - I can't check now cos he is buy using it...) not providing valid menu (I think it results in segfault). All else working fine. I don't want to make fresh install because he has so many minetest game mods and tons of other additions in the changes folder so would be big loss for him. Any suggestion on method to get menu pipe working okay again (e.g. can I uninstall something, obmenu?, and then reinstall it?). Not really a huge problem since it proves possible to keep using the system as before, just that menu issue (so he isn't using Startup Menu at all now).

wiak

fredx181

#417 Post by fredx181 »

Hi wiak,

Not sure, but I think I had similar problem once and what worked for me was to remove all the cache:
~/.cache
~/.config/obmenu-generator/cache.db
~/.config/obmenu-generator/icons.db

And then restart X (the cache will rebuild then)

Should be enough, but if still the Menu doesn't show, indeed you can try:

obmenu-generator -i
Or:

obmenu-generator -p -i
(to be honest I don't know which it should be, probably the last one)

Fred

wiak

#418 Post by wiak »

fredx181 wrote:Hi wiak,

Not sure, but I think I had similar problem once and what worked for me was to remove all the cache:
~/.cache
~/.config/obmenu-generator/cache.db
~/.config/obmenu-generator/icons.db
Thanks greatly Fred, the above, followed by restart X, worked.

wiak

wiak

#419 Post by wiak »

I've had another issue for a longtime but haven't bothered looking into. My kids computers both have ethernet connection, but I didn't realise that the machines were always (via PeasyWifi) actually connecting to Internet via Wifi. I quickly tried, via PeasyWifi, to get them to connect via ethernet (with wifi physically switched off) but couldn't get that to work at all. I'm wondering if the PeasyWifi in XenialDog64 is an old one that perhaps has issues with ethernet connection, and, if so, is there an updated one. I'm not on my kids machines so can't check anything just now hence just asking in case situation is already well-known.

I use wifi anyway on my own machine. I 'believe' its the same XenialDog64 as my kids and note that PeasyWifi here is v4.6. Perhaps I just don't know how to use PeasyWifi to connect to Ethernet - I certainly haven't as yet spent much, if any, time reading how to do that but if anyone could let me know that would save me the effort! ;-)

wiak

fredx181

#420 Post by fredx181 »

wiak wrote:I've had another issue for a longtime but haven't bothered looking into. My kids computers both have ethernet connection, but I didn't realise that the machines were always (via PeasyWifi) actually connecting to Internet via Wifi. I quickly tried, via PeasyWifi, to get them to connect via ethernet (with wifi physically switched off) but couldn't get that to work at all. I'm wondering if the PeasyWifi in XenialDog64 is an old one that perhaps has issues with ethernet connection, and, if so, is there an updated one. I'm not on my kids machines so can't check anything just now hence just asking in case situation is already well-known.

I use wifi anyway on my own machine. I 'believe' its the same XenialDog64 as my kids and note that PeasyWifi here is v4.6. Perhaps I just don't know how to use PeasyWifi to connect to Ethernet - I certainly haven't as yet spent much, if any, time reading how to do that but if anyone could let me know that would save me the effort! ;-)

wiak
Hi wiak, the Peasywifi package in XD repo version 4.6-2 is the latest.
I tested on a pristine XD64, after install the ethernet connected automatically and also after reboot, so... I don't know why it doesn't connect for you.
Did you try the "Reconnect" button on the Ethernet tab ?
Or maybe your interface isn't "eth0" (then for example eth1 needs to be configured)
It could help maybe to disconnect Wifi first (at Connect tab) and then try the "Reconnect" button on the Ethernet tab.
I remember that connection to both Wifi and Ethernet at the same time could be not possible in some cases (because udhcpc not supporting that, but it depends on your router setup)
But rcrsn51 knows more about that (possible) issue. (I had conversation about that with rcrsn51, but cannot find it right now)

Fred