Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 16 Nov 2018, 20:38
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
EasyOS Pyro 0.9.8, November 14, 2018
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 66 of 72 [1066 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 Next
don570

PostPosted: Wed 15 Aug 2018, 20:21    Post subject:  

Quote:
Maybe the user could make a choice about basic keyboard layout, such as azerty, qwerty or qwertz, then enter the password.

This makes sense to me.

Apparently there is a large number of dvorak keyboard layouts, however
anybody who can use a dvorak keyboard layout can use azerty, qwerty or qwertz.

PostPosted: Thu 16 Aug 2018, 04:53    Post subject: initial EasyOS password
Subject description: simple alerting notification

@ Barry,

in order to spare you complex modifications of the EasyOS setup, I'm thinking of a pragmatic alternative. In fact, a simple alerting notification might do.

I imagine an obvious hint which points out that the initial password-setting follows the US-keyboard layout and that users of other keyboards, in view of ensuing boots, strictly should remember the SEQUENCE of the keys, including the SHIFT- and ALT-combinations, which were hit when the encryption password was set. This way, everybody later can feel free to 'translate' the password according to any currently used keyboard's layout.

At the same time, I again would like to mention that the XKB Configuration Manager's 'third level chooser'-option might be a source of confusion, as for the EasyOS container-specific ALT+F6 command.

kind regards
don570

PostPosted: Sat 18 Aug 2018, 14:47    Post subject:  

If the password was a seven digit number i.e. the user's telephone number
then it wouldn't matter if azerty, qwerty or qwertz.

Or maybe six numbers (or eight) --> the person's birthday

08/18/18

08/18/2018

PostPosted: Sat 18 Aug 2018, 19:12    Post subject:  

I installed Easy 0.9.6 to USB and it worked fine.

I upgraded my hd install of Easy and for the second upgrade in a row it did not cleanly boot. It refused to boot to X. Boots to console fine, I ran xorgwizard and tried a number of options but still no X screen.

I tried renaming the .sessions dir and rebooting to a pristine install - still no joy. This time it booted to a gui but with a solid grey background and three choices in window menu: xterm, reboot, and exit I think. Looked a lot like the old twm or maybe fvwm. There was a panel on the bottom but no menu there.

I also installed Quirky 8.6. It works well as long as I don't change the display DPM. If I do that the screen will freeze after a few minutes.
rufwoof

PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug 2018, 14:48    Post subject:  

EasyPyro 0.9.6

Would be nice to have user rover set as a member of the audio group by default
Code:
adduser rover audio

Also extend /usr/bin/seamonkey to include rover in addition to spot i.e. changing the code snippet ....
Code:
NAMEOFUSER="$(id -n -u)"                                                       
if [ "$NAMEOFUSER" == "spot" ];then                                             
 HOMEDIR="/root/spot/.mozilla/seamonkey"                                       
 NAMEEXE='seamonkey.bin'                                                       
else #called as seamonkey or mozilla...                                         
 HOMEDIR="/root/.mozilla/seamonkey"                                             
 NAMEEXE='seamonkey'                                                           
fi

to
Code:

if [ "$NAMEOFUSER" == "spot" ];then                                             
 HOMEDIR="/root/spot/.mozilla/seamonkey"                                       
 NAMEEXE='seamonkey.bin'   
else
 if [ "$NAMEOFUSER" == "rover" ];then                                             
  HOMEDIR="/home/rover/.mozilla/seamonkey"                                       
  NAMEEXE='seamonkey'   
 else #called as seamonkey or mozilla...                                         
  HOMEDIR="/root/.mozilla/seamonkey"                                             
  NAMEEXE='seamonkey'                                                           
 fi
fi

As that eliminates the long delayed orange coloured message box and sets things up correctly for rover.

Having a /home/rover/.profile that
Code:
export DISPLAY=:0

would also help.

With the above, starting the desktop and running the container console (icon near the top/middle of screen) ... to open a containered root cli, and then
Code:
su - rover

so as to invoke rover cli (dash is important as that ensures rovers profile is run) ... and then running
Code:
seamonkey

... has seamonkey start with sound enabled (rover being a member of audio group as above) i.e. running seamonkey in a container as a restricted userid with very low levels of permissions/authority (running capsh --print as rover in the sh0 (console) container shows a empty 'Current=' set of authorities Smile)

I've noticed that if you open up the easy version control (under the Filesystem menu) and select the sh0 drop down option in the bottom "Containers" section, then even with a 'empty' selection (no snapshots having been created), clicking Rollback clears out the browser session so its back to a nice clean version again. Otherwise even if you rollback the main 0.9.6 and reboot, former browser stuff under sh0 container still persists from earlier usage.
capture24139.png
 Description   
 Filesize   65.88 KB
 Viewed   597 Time(s)

capture24139.png

Last edited by rufwoof on Mon 20 Aug 2018, 15:42; edited 1 time in total
rufwoof

PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug 2018, 15:05    Post subject:  

As above (running container console and seamonkey), but changing it to use xephyr rather than xorg (Filesystem, easy container manager, selecting the sh0 dropdown and Edit to set EC_XSERVER='xephyr') and when you start the console container you get a black screen/desktop with just the console/terminal window. After starting seamonkey however you can ctrl-alt-F6 and see both the normal xorg X session with the console and seamonkey tray/taskbar entries.

Given that X is notoriously weak, potentially with a dark-hat able to see all other windows/key strokes, I assume that running under xephyr instead of xorg adds that bit extra protection ??? Raises the bar higher Smile

rufwoof

PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug 2018, 15:15    Post subject:  

Default (new) setup and the Main session desktop wallpaper looks fine. If I open the desk container however then the wallpaper looks wrong.
capture15356.png
 Description   
 Filesize   208.06 KB
 Viewed   582 Time(s)

capture15356.png

capture100.png
 Description   
 Filesize   146.68 KB
 Viewed   581 Time(s)

capture100.png

rufwoof

PostPosted: Tue 21 Aug 2018, 16:22    Post subject:  

Had yet another case of the MMC/SD no longer booting - as though the flashstick/card had been overused/spent. Re-dd'ing and it works OK again.

Starting to suspect that it could be containers not closing down fully resulting in some file corruption such that a fsck is needed.

Seen one other (can't recall who) hereabouts who seemed to be encountering a similar problem so it could be a obscure bug.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Tue 21 Aug 2018, 21:02    Post subject:  

Due to popular demand (well, two people, in the last few months), here is a 32-bit Pyro EasyOS, version 0.9.6:

http://bkhome.org/news/201808/easyos-32-bit-version-096.html

Need an i686 CPU and has 4GB RAM limit -- the PC can have more, but the extra won't be recognized.

Last edited by BarryK on Tue 21 Aug 2018, 21:09; edited 1 time in total
Cu Chulinux

PostPosted: Tue 21 Aug 2018, 21:08    Post subject:  

I got Easy 0.9.6 to work on HD. I had to start from fresh and boot to commandline and then rename /etc/11/xorg.conf.d/20-Intel-sna.confDISABLED to remove the "DISABLED". Then I could boot to X. Running xorgwizard didn't work and this laptop doesn't seem to like modesetting anymore. Initial bootups without making the change just went to a black screen with a cursor in the top left corner.

Problem is I have to re-setup everything all over again every time I upgrade, including manually setting sound in containers.
slavvo67

PostPosted: Tue 21 Aug 2018, 21:41    Post subject:  

BarryK:

While I've gotten away from 32bit distro's, I like the idea of supporting them. I actually have quite a few old, old computers that are 32bit only! Rolling Eyes Laughing

Going to play with this one a bit and maybe enhance or add to the software. Which WoofQ did you use to build it?

Update: Just tried it. Welcome back "Green Screen!" Missed you! Noticed DEVX is 0.6.1. Still okay to use or is there a newer one required? I know usually the older are okay.

Thanks,

Slavvo67
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Wed 22 Aug 2018, 06:16    Post subject:  

slavvo67 wrote:
BarryK:

While I've gotten away from 32bit distro's, I like the idea of supporting them. I actually have quite a few old, old computers that are 32bit only! Rolling Eyes Laughing

Going to play with this one a bit and maybe enhance or add to the software. Which WoofQ did you use to build it?

Update: Just tried it. Welcome back "Green Screen!" Missed you! Noticed DEVX is 0.6.1. Still okay to use or is there a newer one required? I know usually the older are okay.

Thanks,

Slavvo67

Um, I will check that. Thought that I had uploaded 0.9.6 devx.

I also need to upload latest woofq, will do so and announce it.

EDIT:

The easyos devx 0.9.6 is there:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/x86/packages/sfs/pyro/

...um is "sfsget" looking in the wrong place? Maybe it is looking in the quirky repo on ibiblio, in which case, that's a bug.

Here is the latest woofq, 20180822:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/project/woofq/

Last edited by BarryK on Wed 22 Aug 2018, 08:08; edited 1 time in total
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Wed 22 Aug 2018, 06:19    Post subject:  

I received an email from someone who prefers to remain anonymous, regarding a bug in easyshare.

For connecting to android phone, you have to manually create folder /mnt/phone

Do that before running easyshare.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Wed 22 Aug 2018, 08:39    Post subject:  

Well, this is a pleasant surprise.

I have an old laptop, the first that I ever bought, an Acer Aspire 3681 WXMi, with 32-bit Celeron CPU, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD, 1280x800 14.1 inch screen.

Dont recall what year I bought it. There is a reference to it in 2007:

http://bkhome.org/archive/puppylinux/news/news300b-300.htm

It has been in storage for years. Dug it out of the closet, connected power (the battery no longer holds a charge for more than a few minutes), plugged in EasyOS Pyro32 0.9.6, and it booted, everything runs, fast, a very nice experience.

It resurrects an old computer, so I can see why there is value in continuing to release a 32-bit distro.

Nooo, the usb mouse has stopped working! Touchpad still works. Oh well.

Replugged the mouse, it is working again. Interesting, anyone else ever had that problem?

rufwoof

PostPosted: Wed 22 Aug 2018, 09:41    Post subject:  

BarryK wrote:
Nooo, the usb mouse has stopped working! Touchpad still works. Oh well.

Replugged the mouse, it is working again. Interesting, anyone else ever had that problem?

Not with Easy, but in some other cases I've found that a USB mouse can repeatedly trigger interrupts (connected system messages). A cure for me (later (desktop) version of Acer Aspire) was to use a PS2 to USB adapter and have the USB mouse physically connected to the PS2 port. I've left it that way ever since and haven't seen any repeats of mouse issues.

Page 66 of 72 [1066 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: