The art of ID3 tagging

Using applications, configuring, problems
Bushbuck

The art of ID3 tagging

#1 Post by Bushbuck »

This one is a bit of a "first world problem", but I'd be interested in your suggestions.

I got a new MP3 player (more space), and unlike my old one, which would happily list tracks by alphanumeric raw filename, it really needs everything to be tagged up to the hilt, with ID3 V2.

Fair enough. I did that (and thank you for "Track Properties", whoever implemented DeaDBeeF), and it worked ...kind of... but it has the side-effect of everything on the device now having a 13-08-18 time stamp.

Is there an MP3 tagging program for Puppy that will set the ID3V2 tags, and yet preserve all the time and date tags? A command-line solution would be fine for me, as it can't be any worse than what I did for a living.
Xenial Puppy 64, Gigabyte motherboard, Intel i7 4770.

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

Easytag has a setting to preserve modification time.
I presume some of the alternatives like qoobar do too. Not sure about the gtkdialog apps often used in Puppy.
FWIW easytag is my preferred software, although last I checked qoobar supported wma or something that easytag didn't.
The main thing to be careful of if you use easytag is if you have files with id3v2 tags with album art - if they are v2.3 you should use an older easytag, if v2.4 you should use a newer one. Unless they've fixed the bug I'm thinking of...
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Bushbuck

#3 Post by Bushbuck »

Thanks, disciple. I'll try Easytag, then.

Time stamps are one of those things I took for granted, until they were messed up.

norgo

#4 Post by norgo »

@Bushbuck

I think Kid3 could be what you are searching for.
Usable with or without GUI as you like but usage by cli is hardcore.

https://kid3.sourceforge.io/

Easytag has massively problems with embedded covers.
Attachments
kid3-qt.jpg
kid3-qt
(22.97 KiB) Downloaded 78 times

Bushbuck

#5 Post by Bushbuck »

Neither of them installed successfully.

I seem to have a PPM problem (It says "No space on device, exiting") so maybe I had better start a new thread.

This ID3 thing is only mildly irritating, because in future I can tag all the day's capture with DeaDBeeF now I know what I need to do.

Speaking with my programmer's hat on, though, I'm not very happy with being denied "browse by raw file name" on my MP3 device.

That one is a Sony criticism, though, not Puppy's problem.