Do this to increase your SSD's lifespan

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

Do this to increase your SSD's lifespan

#1 Post by Flash »

This is how SSDs work and what you can do to make yours last longer

This applies to all kinds of flash memories: SSDs, USB flash drives, SD memory cards, etc.
I hope it answers once and for all the question of how long your flash memory will last. I'm not aware of anyone in this forum reporting they wore out a flash memory. Another thing to consider is that a flash memory cell's wear-out mechanism means that it will gradually begin to give read errors, but since error-correcting bits are added, there is plenty of warning of impending failure due to the wear-out mechansim. Unlike spinning hard disks, which in my experience often fail catastrophically with little or no warning.
by Dong Ngo April 15, 2017

...be aware that the number of potential P/E cycles for an SSD is exponentially larger than that of a sheet of paper. In addition, modern SSDs have technologies that increase write efficiency and reduce wear on its storage cells. Among these technologies, the most important is the "wear-leveling" algorithms that effectively make sure all the drive's memory chips are used up, cell by cell, before the first cell can be written to again. This also means that SSDs of larger capacities generally have longer life spans than do smaller ones.

So how long is long? To help users estimate how long an SSD will last, most SSD manufacturers present the drive's endurance by the amount of data that can be written to the drive. For example, the 750GB Crucial MX300 has an endurance of 220TBW, meaning you can write 220 terabytes of data to the drive before it becomes unreliable. To put this in perspective, if you write 50GB of data per day every day to the drive, it will take you some 12 years to wear it out. Most other SSDs have similar or better endurance ratings. Generally the larger the drive, the higher he endurance.

Most of us actually write just a fraction of 50GB of data -- which is about two Blu-ray discs' worth -- on our computer's host drive on a daily basis, and many days we don't write anything at all. Note that watching movies, reading PDF files, or viewing photos doesn't count as writing; that's reading, which has no effect on an SSD's life expectancy. Only activities like copying music from another drive, downloading files, editing files, or backing up your phone, and so on require you to write to the drive.

That said, if you use an SSD the way you would a hard drive, chances are it will still last longer than a regular hard drive would. But you can do more...

april

#2 Post by april »

We recently came across the TRIM command for SSD's too . This gives a little more insight into that but not for Linux !.

AHCI and TRIM commands:

AHCI, which stands for "advanced host controller interface," allows the operating system to access the storage faster and use some advanced functions. One of these functions is the TRIM command, which allows a supported operating system to actively inform the SSD which blocks of data are no longer in use and can be wiped. This helps the drive work more efficiently, reduce the effect of Write Amplification and ultimately leads to faster performance and a longer lifespan.

Generally, both AHCI and TRIM are enabled by default. You can check and change the former in the computer's BIOS setting. It varies depending on your computer, but with most systems you can enter the BIOS by tapping the Delete or F2 key as the computer boots up. Here, look for the storage section and change the value of "Configure SATA as" to "AHCI" (if it's not already AHCI). It's better to do this before you install the operating system, otherwise you'll need to install the storage drivers first before changing the value. Note that if you use two SSDs in a RAID configuration, then the RAID value (rather than AHCI) should be selected. Also if your computer doesn't have option for RAID or AHCI, but only IDE, then it's too old -- time to shop for a new computer.

You can determine if TRIM is working by running elevated Windows Powershell as described above in the hibernation section, then executing this command:

fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

If the command returns "DisableDeleteNotify = 0", then TRIM is running. If not, you can turn it on by executing:

fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 0

If your Mac comes with an SSD, then TRIM is always enabled. However, if you install your own SSD on a Mac, make sure you follow this How-to post to enable TRIM.

ozsouth

#3 Post by ozsouth »

Very interesting. Most significant for me is the suspend feature most puppies have when closing laptop lids. Article states that hibernation
(suspend-to-disk) is very significant for writes. We do have the lesser option of suspend-to-idle, but when I set that using freeze ilo mem (which is used in suspend-to-ram) in /etc/acpi/actions/suspend.sh, must press power button upon reopening lid.

J_D_

#4 Post by J_D_ »

Good info. I just got my first laptop with a SSD. Going by what i just read it should last me about 50 years........