X-Slacko Slim 4.4r49 (unique, stable, and flexible)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
mistfire

#861 Post by mistfire »

@step X-Slacko Slim uses cbatticon for battery level monitoring. Just replace it new version one if you want.

step

#862 Post by step »

@mistfire xslacko-slim cbatticon version 1.6.6 vs. github latest version 1.6.8. Between the two version the author updated translations and cosmetics but nothing having to do with battery level detection.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]

mistfire

#863 Post by mistfire »

@step then try to swap the kernel and its modules.

mistfire

#864 Post by mistfire »

New X-Slacko Slim iteration released

Changes:
* Improved PPM: It now installs the following package formats (no more package conversion needed):
->Slitaz (*.tazpkg)
->Tiny Core (*.tcz)
->Pardus (*.pisi)
->Alpine Linux (*.apk)
->Slax (*.sb)
->OpenWRT (*.ipk)
->0linux (*.spack)
->Void linux (*.xbps)
->Damn Small Linux (*.dsl)
->Puppyrus (*.pfs)
->Nutyx (*.cards.tar.xz)
->Solus (*.eopkg)
->Stampede (*.slp)

Also the PPM has capable to fix the broken symlinks for library files upon uninstalling the package.

(WARNING: Installing old linux packages might cause security risk)

* Fix loopback interface problem
* Fix probepart and probedisk anomalies.
* Fix MTP device detection. gMTP is automactically run when MTP devide is detected
* Fix Android USB Mass Storage mode detection.
* Mounted PTP camera can now see on Thunar.
* Revamp power options. The backlights can now be precisely adjust.

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/10DeJ4M ... sp=sharing
MD5 Checksum: 25010feeba2a92cab5fb942f6772eab0
Last edited by mistfire on Mon 27 Aug 2018, 10:38, edited 1 time in total.

belham2

#865 Post by belham2 »

mistfire wrote:New X-Slacko Slim iteration released

Changes:
* Improved PPM: It now installs the following package formats (no more package conversion needed):
->Slitaz (*.tazpkg)
->Tiny Core (*.tcz)
->Pardus (*.pisi)
->Alpine Linux (*.apk)
->Slax (*.sb)
->OpenWRT (*.ipk)
->0linux (*.spack)
->Void linux (*.xbps)
->Damn Small Linux (*.dsl)
->Puppyrus (*.pfs)
->Nutyx (*.cards.tar.xz)
->Solus (*.eopkg)
->Stampede (*.slp)

Also the PPM has capable to fix the broken symlinks for library files upon uninstalling the package.

* Fix probepart and probedisk anomalies.
* Fix MTP device detection. gMTP is automactically run when MTP devide is detected
* Fix Android USB Mass Storage mode detection.
* Mounted PTP camera can now see on Thunar.
* Revamp power options. The backlights can now be precisely adjust.

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/10DeJ4M ... sp=sharing
MD5 Checksum: 25010feeba2a92cab5fb942f6772eab0

Hi Mistife,

Congrats on this latest release.

I have a general inquiry/question of interest: you mention that "Improved PPM: It now installs the following package formats (no more package conversion needed)" and one of the package types you list is this:

Solus (*.eopkg)

You are aware that Solus quit supporting 32-bit back in 2015, for many reasons. I am concerned you are making it appear like any 32-bit Solus packages that might be floating around are "safe" to install. Understand, they ARE NOT. They have not been updated, they are not supported, and many of the packages have gaping holes & bad code in them. In essence, exploitable security risks.

You need to put up a notice for your distro that people installing anything, especially from Solus packages, in fact the notice should be from any packages from any distros that explicitly stopped supporting them for security reasons, and thus are no longer supported by that distro, these people then are doing so (installing things) at their own risk.

mistfire

#866 Post by mistfire »

@belham I knew that solus was 64-bit only now. Anyway I add a warning for installing other package formats

Volhout

feedback R21

#867 Post by Volhout »

Hi mistfire,

I noticed 2 things in R21 first powerup.

I installed on a USB stick. The computer boots from USB in XSlacko Slim 4.4 R21, but has an internal HDD that has Linux (3 puppies and Ubuntu) on it.

- Xslacko mounts the HDD swap partition (sda5 in this case). I want to prevent that since the HDD as swap partition is mounted, powered up, and uses energy. There is sufficient RAM to live without swap. Any idea how I can prevent using the swap partition on sda5 ?

- WIFI through Barry's simple network setup (BSN) breaks: there is a orange popup "scanning networks", and after 10 seconds that disappears, and then....nothing. I used frisbee from the menu, that finds the networks and connects. Also after reboot...but... as soon as I hit the icon in the status bar to setup or check network status the connection is lost, and does not come back automatically. I think BSN kills Frisbee.
After "CONNECT to the INTERNET" and set Frisbee as the default tool, it works okay.

- There are 3 profiles in the power setup (turbo, performance, powersave), but the backlight brightness setting are not related. If I change brightness in powersave mode, I also change brightness in turbo mode and performance mode.

I will test some more tonight and install some packages...

Volhout

Sage

#868 Post by Sage »

Sadly back to square 1 with r20/r21 - black screen from the off, no options, nada. Shame, just as it was going so well with r19.

mistfire

#869 Post by mistfire »

@Sage did you compare the checksum of your downloaded image against the given checksum? Try to download the latest image on this mirror http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_xslacko-slim

Sage

#870 Post by Sage »

no, yes, yes.
I suspect that your version doesn't like my SiS Mirage 1 video chip. This one can be tricky with a few other distros but yours is the only one that causes fatal non-booting issues as soon as it 'sees' your distro on CD. All other distros are recoverable despite their quirks. This is a terminal fault as I have several of these boards and the compact CD must be able to run on all systems, so that I can use it for diagnostics. Sorry, I cannot suggest how you solve this riddle as it's not within my ambit. Every other Puppy and a few of yours do run OK, but not recently.
I like to try to be helpful within my limited range. These GS7610 boards have onboard video with backplane vga socket. They have PCI-e and PCI expansion sockets but no AGP. Therefore, I tried to run an old S3 PCI card, but my monitors aren't compatible and don't have a spare PCI-e at the mo. I tried your r21, new d/l from your own site on an icore4 machine with PCI-e. Got ISOLINUX, then DD ERROR 1000 - <halt>
Sorry, misty, but there is something very different about your offerings that nobody else, Puppy or non-Puppy, has and I'm afraid I cannot help you further. Luckily some guys aren't having these issues, but they don't have the range of HW I possess nor the requirements for a compact fast CD that I can use on everything for diagnosis. The other problem is that the clever gurus around here have pushed Puppy into the stratosphere making almost a mainline distro and not much use in the test box any longer!

clerk_gabel

#871 Post by clerk_gabel »

Hi, I am new here.I also could not boot the isos from neither archive-dot-org nor google drive burned to DVD or CD on two laptops.Otherwise a great idea with a basic slim puppylinux based on Slackware.Instead now on a fresh install of Slacko 6.3.2 I found it possible to slim down the distribution by deleting Abiword and updating Firefox to 45 including u-block and Flash etc. with help of the provided tools.Some leftovers though must be deleted manually. I have known Slackware for many years and remember from my last "night owl spell" with a Puppylinux based on Slackware 12 how impressed I was over the the power of the Puppy package manager combined with Slackwares own pkgtool.The Puppy package manager could install rpms from RedHat so it was not that hard to update libraries and their source to versions beyond Slackware 12.In that way Puppy for me at that time worked as a small Slackware (without TEX and much other otherwise mandatory Slackware stuff) with nearly only apps build on the system installed.
Pls. move on with X-Slacko Slim where I will give it a try after figuring out taking a disk image, where my windows based bare metal restore CD have problems reading what it see as a RAW partition on this old laptop I just got my hands on.

mistfire

#872 Post by mistfire »

@clerk_gabel what boot error message did you got upon booting the disk image?

clerk_gabel

#873 Post by clerk_gabel »

@mistfire - very similar to the problem sage reports, just a black screen with a prompt in upper left corner.The machine is a Vega+ laptop with Intel Celeron 1.5 GHz and ATAPI CD-ROM Model: DVDRW SOSW-833S. No problems with other CD/DVD media so far as it boot up a Windows PE based rescue CD and Slacko 6.2.3 in the usual way.

mistfire

#874 Post by mistfire »

@clerk_gabel upon booting the iso image does it shows the boot menu?
If yes, then when selecting to boot does it shows message like these?

Code: Select all

loading vmlinuz..............
loading initrd.xz...............

clerk_gabel

#875 Post by clerk_gabel »

On the Vega+ laptop with slacko 6.3.2 installed on a ext2 filesystem nothing happens when booting the iso burned to DVD or CD. Only a blinking cursor (not prompt) in upper left corner, no boot sequence. From within Slacko 6.3.2 the X-Slacko slim boot CD is recognised / mounted in a usual manner.
The Vega+ has 1.5GB of RAM installed.
To my pleasure X-Slacko booted flawless on a Dell dual core Intel running XP on a NTFS file system. With 4GB of ram no problem loading into RAM, where starting X took a few minutes, in the first instance fooling me to believe the system had frozen. A very nice operating system I will configure and explore now there is an option to burn changes made back to DVD - I am impressed! - and thanks for efforts.

Puppyt

#876 Post by Puppyt »

Hi clerk_gabel,
I feel your pain, regarding Puppy "failing to launch" on your old laptop. Congratulations for persevering and getting it working on your desktop computer. Was it the same CD that you booted from in both computers? I have kept dozens of CD's that I burned Puppy isos onto, in the past. I found that there were many strange variables that affected my success in booting across different computers. These included burn speeds that were too fast for the older cd drives, age-related hiccups in old cd drives (e.g., dust and natural component fatigue), and even the quality of the blank CD made a difference. I switched to USB-type installs, and if you are new to the game of distro-hopping may I suggest you try Yumi https://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-mult ... b-creator/ - assuming that you are familiar with the Windows environment? Might I also suggest you use diagnostic CD's like Hirens or UBCD to ensure that your laptops' hard drive, ram etc is in good order? Good Luck :)

https://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

EDIT: :oops: just saw that you've already used rescue cd's successfully on that laptop...
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

Sage

#877 Post by Sage »

Nice to have some helpful comments, misty, but I fear the answer is just as elusive. We could ask folks to send you lists of their video equipment to try to find where the most pressing issues might be. However, this might just exposes the limits in the packaged drivers - an increasing shortcoming presently being lamented by many distro developers. In this case, you might find it necessary to double, or more, the included drivers. Tail chasing, though, because you could find the whole distro ballooning so much that the very desirable objective cannot be achieved, viz. a small, compact and fast offering that boots to everything.
In the meantime, could be useful to have everyone in your neighbourhood report their successes/failures on a wider range of machines. Unfortunately, I can only offer negative results from about thirty different ones, not necessarily all with different video cards.
Some sort of more detailed code analysis might disclose why most other Puppies (even the older ones), will boot, some needing specific cheat codes, but yours do not? Well beyond my abilities!

clerk_gabel

#878 Post by clerk_gabel »

As you say, Puppyt, the explanation may be so simple as the optical drive not recognising this particular CD-brand (SilverCircle).The iso was burned with CDburnerXP on XP.
My present system support my wireless GPRS modem as well as wi-fi at home, so I believe I will stick to it. Basic needs are e-mail and a browser, where I lately have had concerns about identity theft after hearing how hard it was for a person to tidy up after such an event. I hope Google docs will serve when it comes to .docx documents, have not tried yet.
Digression - the development environment work out of the box where adding xbitmaps was the only extra needed to build Motif on this microlinux.
I am astounded! :o
Attachments
hello.png
motif on puppy
(1.9 KiB) Downloaded 665 times

mikeslr

#879 Post by mikeslr »

Hi clerk_gabel,

"My present system support my wireless GPRS modem as well as wi-fi at home, so I believe I will stick to it. Basic needs are e-mail and a browser, where I lately have had concerns about identity theft after hearing how hard it was for a person to tidy up after such an event. I hope Google docs will serve when it comes to .docx documents, have not tried yet."

You didn't mention what is your present system. Perhaps you could consider just switching its kernel to one which has the meltdown & spectre patches, and installing a current openssl. It may also be necessary to install Mike Walsh's gtk3 lib in order to run firefox quantum, both found here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 010#978010.

I don't know which zdrv associated with a recent kernels may include the drivers/firmware for you GPRS modem.

mikesLr

clerk_gabel

#880 Post by clerk_gabel »

A sideslip from the thread, forgive me mistfire. But mikeslr, thank you for the info regarding the meltdown and spectre processor vulnerabilities. I had not read about them until yesterday and was not aware they could be mitigated via a Linux kernel upgrade. The kernel on my system running Slacko 6.3.2 is 3.14.55 and probably outdated as these processor issues was revealed only a few months back?.
I picked this old laptop up on the final day in our vacation we spent in our hut. There we use a Huawei 4G wireless GPRS modem with a prepaid SIM card for internet, and it works really well eg. on my sons Win 10 laptop.
The Win XP this little known Vega+ 1.5 GHz machine came with was broken with missing drivers etc. where a full install to HDD of Slacko, funny enough, worked perfect, including 4G GPRS after Huawei's Mobile Partner Suite for Linux was added (exist as .sps). Now at home also wi-fi works without hassle.
I am trying out Firefox Quantum 61.02 and latest Seamonkey where both are less stable than Firefox 45.9 who appear rock solid.
There is some way to walk with troubleshooting browsers and replacing the outdated kernel before the system meet standards. Again sorry for the derailment, and thank you for advice. :shock: