Winamp for Puppy, and a bit of wine does not hurt..:-)SOLVED

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
dcung

Winamp for Puppy, and a bit of wine does not hurt..:-)SOLVED

#1 Post by dcung »

Hi,

I use Winamp (classic) for ages in Windows.
Now that I start embarking into Puppy world, I'd like to keep as many 'familiar' apps as possible.

In my research, I found one of the ways is to have Wine installed. So, I research about Wine (didn't know what wine was until I did some reading... didn't think it was the red or white kind of wine). :lol:
So many variety of Wine out there. I downloaded the 'latest' found, v3.0 failed to install.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=111066
Also found Mike's old posting.

I'm hoping more experience fellow Puppy users here can give me some guidance.

Like what version is 'best' and where to get it (too many out there, hoping to cut the trial error time).

FYI - I probably will use FATDOG64 v721 as my main puppy, although I have few flavour of puppy installed. Still exploring. :)

TIA guys.

EDIT.
After posting, I realised it should be in GSAPT or PPM. :oops:
Found it!
Off to experiment now...

Will post later if need assistance.
Last edited by dcung on Thu 09 Aug 2018, 08:51, edited 2 times in total.

Mike Walsh

#2 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ dcung:-

I'll state, here & now, that I have no experience of FatDog. At all.

In my 64-bit Pups, I've first installed the 32-bit_compatibility_libs SFS package.....followed by installing a 32-bit version of WINE. Winamp will then simply install from its .exe file.

There are now 64-bit WINE Puppy packages, but I've no idea how you use these. Again, no experience. I do know extra jiggery-pokery is involved.

Common wisdom, according to many here, is to always use the very newest version available. But WINE is a peculiar beast. Oft-times, you'll find that an application which worked fine under one version will be broken in the next. By & large, it's steadily improving as the years go by, but it's a case, much of the time, of 'two steps forward, one step back'ards....' And that doesn't includes the Windows releases that each version purports to be compatible with....

I do know this much; if you want to run XP-era apps, you're better off with older versions. I rather suspect that since Windows uses newer & newer dlls all the time (and MyCrudSoft have long-since dropped support for XP itself), that this is partly why I find that many of my apps don't run so well with 'new', 3-series WINE. WINE, itself, is based on Windows. Q.E.D.

I almost always use version2013's WINE 1.7.51 (quite an old version, it's true).....but for my particular set of Windoze apps, it works perfectly.

As the old saying goes; 'If it ain't broke, don't 'fix' it...'

You need to experiment, essentially. There's scores of versions readily-available. Try 'em out; find the one that works, the greatest part of the time, with the largest number of your particular Windows apps.....then stick with it.

It will take a while, I can guarantee that.....

Along with WINE 1.7.51, the version of Winamp I use is this one:-

http://www.mediafire.com/file/8f6qs7tir ... l.exe/file

Mike. :wink:

dcung

#3 Post by dcung »

OK.

Tried it on Fatdog64 and UpupBB.
Installed wine (v3.0) from GsApt / PPM (respectively), both no errors.
Now what? :)

Watched some youtube video about this topic, they seem to be able to click on the app to be installed.

Clicking winamp.exe did nothing.
From terminal, not executing.
Last edited by dcung on Wed 08 Aug 2018, 02:02, edited 2 times in total.

dcung

#4 Post by dcung »

Hi Mike,
Thanks for replying.
Mike Walsh wrote:@ dcung:-
I'll state, here & now, that I have no experience of FatDog. At all.
You have truckload more experience than me in Puppy world... :)

I thought since they're in PPM/GsApt it would be 'somewhat' simple... :)
Wishful thinking on my part... :oops:
Anyway, does not look like I can get away without trial/error if I want to stay with Puppy.... :lol:

step

#5 Post by step »

For Fatdog-721 just run the sfs manager from control panel (or type "sfsmanager" in a terminal window) and download one of the available wine versions. Sfs manager can arrange to permanently load the sfs file (click System SFS Loader), which makes wine available all the time. Alternatively, you can load the sfs file when you need it and unload it afterwards. Right click the file icon and choose "load" or "unload" as appropriate.
Attachments
tas-wine.png
(39.89 KiB) Downloaded 377 times
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]

dcung

#6 Post by dcung »

Hi step,

Thanks for the tip. :)

I downloaded 3 wine sfs, v1.x, v2.x, v3.x. Tried one by one, but maybe I don't know how to use it in Fatdog-721 yet (?)

After tinkering all day, I managed to install wine v1.x in XenPup, so that gave me some idea of how it works, i.e. I can run Winamp now in XenPup.

But in Fatdog, I could not get it working, even after loading anyone of the SFS downloaded thru the SFSManager. I can see the SFS files, I can see they are loaded (thru SFSLoader and also it says load successful when loaded).

Either it's not working or I don't know how to use it.
I was expecting that it will work similar to in XenPup, ie. I managed to install Winamp by prefix wine i.e "wine winamp.exe".

In terminal, got error "sh: wine: command not found" for any wine command that I executed.

Exactly the same behavior when I installed wine thru GsApt this morning.
BTW - I uninstalled what was installed thru GsApt before I tried SFS way.

Maybe I'm still missing some more modules/libraries?

nic007

#7 Post by nic007 »

I use XMPlay with a very old WINE version. No experiense with Fatdog though. BTW - VLC (which has a linux version so you don't need WINE) is actually a very good video and audio player with excellent effects (equalizer, etc. is very effective and powerful).

dcung

#8 Post by dcung »

@nic007

Yes, VLC is actually 'built-in' in Fatdog64.

Wine got my interest for the moment. I don't expect it to be perfect.
In XenPup, my winamp sometimes 'hides' while still playing, nowhere to be found... :)
Atm, the only way I know to make it visible again is by killing it and rerun the app.

And since I'm migrating from Windows, I thought Wine maybe handy somewhat. And I like tinkering... :lol:

For the moment - just trying to build/find a 'perfect' puppy for my use.
And build up my knowledge along the way.

step

#9 Post by step »

dcung wrote: I downloaded 3 wine sfs, v1.x, v2.x, v3.x.
Skip v1, too old, I'm not sure how well it works for Fatdog-721, which is recents.
After tinkering all day, I managed to install wine v1.x in XenPup, so that gave me some idea of how it works, i.e. I can run Winamp now in XenPup.
You can read how to use wine at winehq.org. It will save you a lot of tinkering.
But in Fatdog, I could not get it working, even after loading anyone of the SFS downloaded thru the SFSManager
You didn't say this, but let's make it clear that you can only load one of those SFS files at the time, never together. Also, you must not install any wine package at the same time a wine sfs is loaded.
Either it's not working or I don't know how to use it.
Other Fatdog users, including me, successfully use the wine sfs. Using them is very easy, just type wine /path/to/a/windows/32bit/exe/file.
Note that it has to be 32 bit. If it's 64 bit you can still use it with v2 and v3 wine sfs, but the command is different, I think something like WINEARCH=64 wine /path/to/... but I can't be sure. Check this on winehq.org. Be wary that the first time wine runs on a system it creates a folder /root/.wine, named the "prefix" WINEPREFIX, which is 32-bit or 64-bit dependent. You can't mix a 32-bit prefix with 64-bit Windows executables. Read more on winehq.org.
In terminal, got error "sh: wine: command not found" for any wine command that I executed.
I suspect your Fatdog64 save file (or save folder) is messed up from previous wine experiments.
Exactly the same behavior when I installed wine thru GsApt this morning.
BTW - I uninstalled what was installed thru GsApt before I tried SFS way.
Right. Uninstalling isn't enough when you mix different package sources and methods. Make sure to remove /root/.wine at the very least. The "not found" message could depend on a dangling symlink, if the wine sfs is actually loaded. Anyway, rid your save file/folder of any wine debris, reboot and try again loading the wine SFS.

You can convince yourself that wine sfs works by booting Fatdog without a savefile (it's a boot option), using SFS manager to download a wine sfs, and loading it to run winamp. Make sure to put relevant files to locations on your HDD that are outside the Fatdog save file/folder.
Maybe I'm still missing some more modules/libraries?
No, the wine sfs files are self-contained and work on Fatdog-720 and 721.

One more thing. Post your Fatdog64 support questions to the Fatdog64 support thread (in my signature) to receive more attention from Fatdog users who could answer your questions.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]

Mike Walsh

#10 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ dcung:-

Aside from step's detailed & helpful response, there is one thing that many WINE posts here on the Forum never, ever seem to mention. And it's not helped by the fact that a lot of the available installs don't add Menu entries, either.

Once you've installed WINE (whether by .pet or SFS), the very next thing you should do is to run

Code: Select all

winecfg
.....in the terminal. What this does is to create and set-up the hidden '.wine' folder in /root. This is your Windoze 'virtual environment', from where your programs/apps will work.

Until that command has been run, you're wasting your time....

----------------------------------------------------------

Personally, I have a 'MenuEntry' I've made up for this very purpose. I install that first, so it's sitting there ready, waiting. I install WINE, then I click on the Menu entry, and it performs its magic. You'll usually be asked if you want to install MONO (the WINE Project's version of the .NET framework), and Gecko (which enables HTML rendering within WINE). OK both of these, because things won't function properly unless you do.

After the /root/.wine directory has been set up, the Menu entry then gives you access to the WINE 'dashboard':-

I've attached the 'WINE CFG' Menu entry .pet below if you wish to avail yourself of it. After install, you'll find it under Menu->System.

Here's Winamp running in Xenialpup64 7.5, with the 'Pioneer 3.0' skin:-

Hope that helps.

Attachments
WineCFG-MenuEntry.pet
Menu entry .pet for 'winecfg' & the WINE 'dashboard'...
(36.15 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Wed 08 Aug 2018, 10:21, edited 2 times in total.

dcung

#11 Post by dcung »

n01ze

#12 Post by n01ze »

installed Wine v3.0 on bionic...
libwine_3.0
wine32_3.0
wine32-tools_3.0(also devx_upupbb_19.03

then typed into terminal:
# winecfg
bash: winecfg: command not found

then installed menu item posted here... wineCFG-MenuEntry
it won't start when click on it
so confused/frustrated right now

What is the correct method/chronology for install/activation?

desperately need Wine... btw not an alcoholic:P

n01ze

#13 Post by n01ze »

just installed Wine 1.7.9(or whatever version it actually was) from PPM in Slacko... fully functional
ugh... so frustrating
will try that version in Bionic

Geek3579

#14 Post by Geek3579 »

bigpup

#15 Post by bigpup »

Using Puppy Package Manager(PPM)
PPM>Uninstall.
Uninstall whatever Wine you see listed.
Reboot to make sure the changes are saved.

If you have any Wine sfs packages loaded.
Unload them.

This starts you fresh.

For Wine.

Make sure you have the latest version of Wine.
Good place to get Wine for Puppy.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=88711

Also, look on the first post of the Wine topic for a added 'wine_extras-v2.1.pet' that puts Wine entries in the menu.

When you get Wine installed and the Wine menu entries.
Run Wine config to setup Wine.
It will probably offer you a few more programs needed for Wine to run properly.
Should download and install them as part of the initial config.

Also, in Wine config->Drivers Select autodetect to get all the driver locations loaded in Wine.

A lot of settup options in Wine config, so check them all.

What version of Windows you want Wine to mimic can affect how a program runs. Wine Config->Applications.

About specific programs running in Wine.
Go to the Wine web site and see what it says about a specific program and issues.
http://www.winehq.org

Using Wine is almost like learning a new operating system.
Takes a while to learn how to use Wine and to get things working properly.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#16 Post by bigpup »

Bionicpup64 8.0
Frugal install with save folder.

Following what I posted above for getting and installing Wine.

Installed Wine 4.0 64bit
Downloaded Winamp V5.666
Left clicked on the wineamp.exe file to install it.

Seems to be working OK.

Note:
Based on the Window versions this is suppose to run on.
This Wineamp may be 64bit software.
They really do not say for sure what bit it is.
Attachments
Screenshot(2).jpg
(41.38 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
Screenshot(1).jpg
(15.53 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

n01ze

#17 Post by n01ze »

WOW the portable WINE method works on Bionic!!!
[b]SynthWizards[/b]
[b]VortexSoundResearch[/b]
[url]http://www.N01ZE.com[/url]