Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 20 Oct 2018, 04:51
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
How to send file over wifi? (Solved)
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [26 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
rufwoof

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jul 2018, 05:28    Post subject:  

I use scp. Once a sshd daemon is setup/running scp is pretty much the same as using a normal cp (copy) command, but instead you prefix the filename of the other (remote) system with userid@IP:

If for instance I'm on 192.168.1.4 and there's a sshd running on 192.168.1.6 and I want to copy a file called abc.txt to that then

scp abc.txt user@192.168.1.6:/home/user/abc.txt

To copy back again

scp user@192.168.1.6:/home/user/abc.txt abc.txt

It can be easier if you have the IP associated to a name in /etc/hosts, a entry such as

192.168.1.6 my-box

in /etc/hosts means you can scp using

scp abc.txt user@my-box:/home/user/abc.txt

A benefit (risk) is that once sshd is up and running, you could set ssh to be port forwarded in your router for that, and be able to scp files to/from anywhere, but that traffic obviously would count as part of ISP data usage. You can also ssh in ... to have a terminal session. If you set up X-forwarding you can even open gui windows i.e.remotely ssh in with the -X switch option and in the terminal prompt running leafpad assuming that was installed pops up a leafpad gui window on the remote system (the screen you're using) and where file, open will show the files on the server (so you can view/edit any of those).

If you're relatively comfortable with terminal (cli) then installing/running tmux is a good choice IMO as two of you can log/ssh in as the same userid, attach to the same tmux session, so anything one does is seen by the other. When a tmux session is running and you're attached to that, you can detatch and later re log/ssh back in and attach to the exact same session - even from a different device. So for instance you might initially kick off a large compile that takes many hours on the server from your laptop, detatch from that ... and maybe later ssh in from say your phone and tmux attach back to the session to see how far its got.

With sshd running, you can also install sshfs (filesystem access over ssh), so you can remotely mount a filesystem to a local mount point, and use rox or whatever to view/move files as though it were just another local directory (wherever you mounted it).

I've only mentioned these additional potential features as a indicator of why I prefer scp (sshd based) i.e. its the start of a potentially more extendable/flexible arrangement/setup. You can get/install sshd/ssh server on most OS's, so if both your 'nix and Windows box have it installed/running then that opens up multiple choices of running ssh (or scp). Generally for security reasons however its worth having ssh port forwarding disabled in your main router ... to prevent remote/external ssh access (but where ssh can be used locally on the same LAN), maybe only turning it on (setting ssh port forward in router) whenever you know you'll be out and about and might want to ssh access your home LAN.

Obviously I've just skimmed the functions here, it can be a bit awkward to get things up and running for all of that. For instance I use ddnsfree which provides a fixed domain name (for free) and I run ddhclient on my system that in effect updates that to my current IP, so as I move around my system is still accessible remotely by others via the single fixed domain name. I also have httpd running (web server) so a http requests sees those pages. Not sure about pointers of where you might get appropriate pet's or sfs's. I use OpenBSD and with the exception of ddhclient, all the rest comes as part of the base system, so it just requires a few tweaks of configuration files to activate it.

bigpup

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jul 2018, 08:10    Post subject:  

The speed slowdown is when you are transferring files and trying to use the Internet at the same time.

What is the maximum speed that data can move across your WIFI hotspot?

Both processes have to share this, when run at same time.
You would hope the rate would split evenly, but we all know that is never the way things usually work out.

I would do one or the other, but not both at the same time and be happy.

jss83

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jul 2018, 23:08    Post subject:  

Not sure about max speed, when transferring files I get between 2-3 mbps, when using internet, speed varies between 500 kbps-1.2 mbps, which turns down to 50-100 kbps when transferring files.

Quote:
I would do one or the other, but not both at the same time and be happy.

Yes, going to do just that. Smile
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul 2018, 07:26    Post subject:  

@ jss83 :-

jss83 wrote:
Edit: So far, Dukto seems easy enough, I would need to find dukto for the windows machine as well though and hopefully for my phone as well, maybe there's an app for it too. Smile

My bad; it didn't originally register that you wanted it for Windows as well. You can get the Windows .exe installer here:-

https://sourceforge.net/projects/dukto/files/DuktoR6-Setup.exe/download

As far as I can tell it appears to be for all versions of Windows. It doesn't, however, appear to be available for Android. Up to you, of course.....there are, as you've seen, a whole host of file-transfer methods available, so you might need to simply combine more than one app to get overall network coverage.

(Just made an interesting discovery; the Windows version appears to function perfectly under Wine, too.....FWIW.)

Mike. Wink

jss83

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul 2018, 13:01    Post subject:  

Thank you for finding it, I will see if I can find an app for my phone as well and will report back how file sharing went using dukto shortly.

Thanks Smile

Update: works super smooth, as soon as I installed on windows machine, puppypcxxxx showed up in buddies there and windows pc with username showed up at puppy system and file transfer only requires drag and drop.

Thanks again Very Happy
davids45

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul 2018, 20:46    Post subject: Android version  

G'day jss83 & Mike W.,

There definitely is (or was?) an android version of Dukto.

I use dukto to download/upload files between my phone and computer as and when they are both on my home network. Mostly photos taken on the phone.

I thought I downloaded a version from the Google Playstore or whatever it's called. But maybe it was from the dukto site?? It's been a few years since I set up dukto on everything here.

David S.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jul 2018, 07:20    Post subject:  

Hiya, David.

Well, I won't disbelieve you. The Sourceforge webpage only shows for Windoze, Mac and Linux:-

https://sourceforge.net/projects/dukto/files/?source=navbar

...and Emanuele Colombo's blog page makes no mention of it either:-

http://www.msec.it/blog/?page_id=11

His 'official' packages are for Windoze, OSX, Linux & Symbian (the older Nokia OS). He also lists some ports for Blackberry, iPhones, and a few others.....but again, no mention of Android.

Any chance you can dig up the one you have for jss83?

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Tue 07 Aug 2018, 09:59; edited 2 times in total
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jul 2018, 07:32    Post subject:  

@ jss83:-

A web search for 'Dukto for Android' does in fact give plenty of hits. This one'll do. Have a look here, and just hit the download buttons.

Dukto-6.5.5.apk for Android.

(AFAICT, this site is 100% safe; I've obtained quite a bit of stuff from here over the last few years, and it's always been trouble-free.)

Or, if you prefer to obtain it from the Google Play Store, it's here:-

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.msec.dukto&hl=en

I have to assume this will work; you can only try it. I've never had a smartphone (not in the slightest bit interested), and if I have my way, my next phone will be a 'dumb-phone', too..!

I have no interest at all in carting t'Internet around with me... (*shrug*) What can I say? I'm a dinosaur (and proud of it!!) I'd sooner do all this stuff sitting in a comfy chair, with a decent full-size screen, full-size keyboard, and mouse, rather than squinting at the tiny screens smart-phones possess.....

Mike. Wink

Les Kerf

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jul 2018, 10:52    Post subject:  

You can set up an ad hoc wireless network from Windows and connect to it from another wireless computer, laptop, etc.
jss83

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jul 2018, 07:09    Post subject:  

Thanks mike, I needed it for windows phone in fact and i found it in store. Smile

@Les, thanks, I'll see if i can do that.
smokey01

PostPosted: Tue 07 Aug 2018, 08:11    Post subject:  

There is a way to do wifi to wifi without a router, it's called wifi-direct or wifi-p2p.
You do need compatible wifi adaptors though.
Look here: https://kasiviswanathanblog.wordpress.com/wifi-p2p-in-linux/

Page 2 of 2 [26 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: