re: Min browser

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
greengeek

#21 Post by greengeek »

Hi Mike, thanks for the sfs. Trialling it now on a Slacko 5.6 derivative. So far I have a problem where it won't let me browse youtube as it says "can't connect securely to this site" but I suspect this could be related to the oddball state of openssl in my pup. (just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else is having the same problem).

One of the features I most need in a browser is the ability to "print to file" to create pdfs from webpages and Min seems really good at this in my testing so far.

Looks like being a very useful browser.

deltacat

#22 Post by deltacat »

I'm using Min to post this and am having the same problem as you Greengeek with YouTube, but only on some Puplets.

Min works flawlessly on Slackopuppy 6.3.2 which is installed to the harddrive on one of my netbooks. Everything works and the performance is really snappy and it loads YouTube pages and plays the video without any problem whatsoever. It's performance is also good with Unicornpup V6 and Shiba Inu 1.1.3 which I both boot from a flashdrive, apart from it's unwillingness to load YouTube.

I'm very much a novice with Puppy, so if anyone could shed any light on this, it would be appreciated.

quirkian2new

#23 Post by quirkian2new »

seems new 1.6.2 recently released. Anyone is tracking this interesting browser ?

Any improvement over the awkard ui in 1.6.0 ?

mikeb

#24 Post by mikeb »

1.7 seems very similar so I assume rendering fixes.
Not sure if there is another thread on this as google found this one.

Its an oddball...the development site just says its a javascript based browser which is the mozilla approach but does not do other mozilla like things.
Perhaps it is indeed a one off which makes it interesting as an alternative to the mozilla/google two party state.
It has a certain charm and its pdf and media handling it neat.
Does not work in an older pup. I tried it in the most up to date version of Lucid 5287. Did not open. Tried from a terminal and complained about a couple of things. Tried looking for missing dependencies. There were none! Back to the terminal and tried to use the output to look for what was missing in ppm.
well I have it running on Lucid.... yes I made an sfs of library updates but did not need to include glibc (I have updated on other pups in the past...its how you do it that matters to avoid a freeze) ..gtk/glib/libstdc++/xcb ...but that sort of maxes out updates and those libs helped me run other newer software. Can't say I want a pulseaudio/gtk3 thing so I dont. Up to now browser updates have been limited to XP/windows , palemoon came close so Min is a nice option.

If there is any interest I will upload my stuff.

mike

Mike Walsh

#25 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hiya, Mike.
mikeb wrote:If there is any interest I will upload my stuff.
Mm..! Yes, please. I didn't think it was possible to get that running in Lucid with that ancient glibc. I have actually used Battleshooter's 'glibc-220' upgrade he put together for Carolina/Racy in Lucid (amongst many others), in the hopes of being able to run a newer version of Chrome. Didn't work for that, but, like you say, it certainly allows me to run a fair bit of other, newer stuff.

I looked at Min last year; it's certainly different, all right. 'Quirky' is, I think, the word for it.....

T'other Mike. :wink:

Terry H

#26 Post by Terry H »

Just stumbled on this thread, hadn't seen it before. Si I just downloaded and installed on stretch pup rc3. Interresting browser, super quick and seems to render pages well. There doesn't appear to be any navigation though, so can't return to previous page, so can't get back to unread posts on forum. This will probalby stop it from being used more widely. I'll keep using it for now.

ally

#27 Post by ally »

keyboard shortcuts

:)

Mike Walsh

#28 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, all.

2 new SFS packages of the latest release (1.7.1) for you.

Download 32- or 64-bit from here:-

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/rkk35of ... in_browser

....aaaand enjoy. :)

Mike. :wink:

Mike Walsh

#29 Post by Mike Walsh »

Gawd, I'd forgotten just how 'minimalist' this thing is..!

At least I've figured out how to zoom in/out (Ctrl + '+' or '-'.....logical, I guess), although it appears you have to apply this on a page by page basis.....even within the same tab (*huh?!?*)

Certainly is fast, though. If only I could suss the bookmarks system out, I'd be happy with it.... :roll:

One thing I'm pretty certain about, though.....and that is that you'll need to build up your bookmarks from scratch, 'cos there is absolutely no mechanism for importing an HTML file (even though it's Chromium-based. Rather like Dillo, in that respect; everything has to entered anew, every time you want it.

(*Heigh-ho...*)

jrb

#30 Post by jrb »

Mike Walsh wrote:Gawd, I'd forgotten just how 'minimalist' this thing is..!

At least I've figured out how to zoom in/out (Ctrl + '+' or '-'.....logical, I guess), although it appears you have to apply this on a page by page basis.....even within the same tab (*huh?!?*)

Certainly is fast, though. If only I could suss the bookmarks system out, I'd be happy with it.... :roll:

One thing I'm pretty certain about, though.....and that is that you'll need to build up your bookmarks from scratch, 'cos there is absolutely no mechanism for importing an HTML file (even though it's Chromium-based. Rather like Dillo, in that respect; everything has to entered anew, every time you want it.

(*Heigh-ho...*)

Hi Mike, I just downloaded and fired up your 32bit SFS in UpupBionic. Worked OTB, using it now.:D Just fumbling about at present.

Managed to set a home page by modifying the exec line in /usr/share/applications/min.desktop to:

Code: Select all

Exec=/usr/bin/min file:///mnt/home/0_common/home_page.html
This is my own homemade homepage so anyone else will have to substitute their own. Basically its a list of my favourite links that I put together with Seamonkey Composer.

I notice that clicking the "View Tasks" button in the upper right corner shows a clickable list of all pages visited so far, so I suppose that acts as sort of a Bookmarks menu.

Might be worth starting a new "Tips and Tricks" thread.

Thanks for this, J

mikeb

#31 Post by mikeb »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qstbgo9rm6fn4 ... 4.sfs?dl=1
Ok but this does not have the libstdc++ update to 1.0.17 (i used debian)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rauh3t3cfqjk1 ... ar.gz?dl=1

which I already did to my lucid build...I need to merge this to make a complete vanilla lucid update. Note glibc is left untouched...min does not need it.
Might make sense to make a pet of it.
Again other software may benefit.

Also note standard puppies will not load this sfs above the main system so will fail to overlay older libs.

I basically compiled the contents from source....also added gconf as i removed it but will do no harm.

Also note.... it uses some mozilla libraries (seamonkey 2.40 worked for me for example)...if you still get errors a newer browser needed...again merging the libs might make sense for this package as they are not large...a work in progress.

mike

mikeslr

Min Bookmarks -- sort of

#32 Post by mikeslr »

Hi MIke &All,

Running the Min AppImage under Xenialpup64.

Well, AFAICT, after some googling Min doesn't have a mechanism for importing or exporting bookmarks. But, and unless I've gotten it all wrong:

That 5-pointed star on the right of the Taskbar highlights the current url. With the current url highlighted Clicking File on the Taskbar offers the option to "Save Page As". Selecting that opens a file-browser enabling you to choose where. I remember something about "for 30 days" after which who knows what will happen. But in the meantime, the View option on the Menu has a choice called "Reading List". Maybe that's how you accessed the things you've saved.

While surfing, a history of where you've been is kept and can be reached by clicking the 3-Horizontal-Lines Icon at the Top Far Right which opens a scrollable list.

I haven't searched further. Maybe there's an addon or someone can build one. As others have mentioned Min is fast. It also have the advantage of working like those browsers I'm familiar with under Android phones and tablets; so if you're coming from those contraptions you've got no learning curve. Unfortunately, built into the design of applications for those contraption is that in about a year you'll fill up your limited storage space and and have to buy a new phone/tablet or die.

Now 76, I have this suspicion that "If the God Lord is willing and the Creek don't rise" my EOL exceeds that and I prefer Toys which share similar prospects. I have no reason to believe that 30 days is a meaningful limit.

Of course, new computers coming with Terabytes of storage space, storing webpages as opposed to merely a way to access them doesn't pose a problem. But "old-fashioned" Browsers always had the ability to save webpages/print-as-pdf if the user wanted. So it seems to me that although the creators of Min had a good idea, they thereafter suffered from tunnel-vision.

Until Min overcomes that flaw, it will remain just a curiosity I'll visit from time to time to see if it has.

mikesLr

P.S. Jury-rigged Bookmarks: Cut&Paste url into and from textfile/database/html-file/whatever. Still PITA.

jrb

#33 Post by jrb »

I have to say I was very confused in the Tour when it told me to go to Edit > Preferences on the Taskbar.:? What Taskbar? I tried the keyboard shortcuts I know, alt+f etc. and nothing worked. Finally I went to the white band across the top and clicked under "Min", and voila, the File menu opened. Sweeping to the right gave me the other menus. Just have to guess which one you're on.
Attachments
MinBrowser-FileMenu1.jpg
(42.13 KiB) Downloaded 639 times
Last edited by jrb on Sat 04 Aug 2018, 16:07, edited 2 times in total.

Terry H

#34 Post by Terry H »

jrb wrote:I have to say I was very confused in the Tour when it told me to go to Edit > Preferences on the Taskbar.:? What Taskbar? I tried the keyboard shortcuts I know, alt+f etc. and nothing worked. Finally I went to the white band across the top and clicked under "Min", and voila, the File menu opened. Sweeping to the right gave me the other menus. Just have to guess which one your on.
Thanks jrb, this was driving me crazy, had the same problem. I originally d/l'd from min site. I'd clicked and right clicked everywhere but that spot, couldn't find anything.

I uninstalled and reinstalled mike's 32-bit sfs to check if it was any different, but still got the same results. Now I can at least look at changing the preferences to check it out better.

Thanks Mike for creating the sfs's.

jrb

#35 Post by jrb »

re:Bookmarks

So far all I've found is this: If you bookmark a page, ctrl+d, then you can click on any open tab, type in part of the bookmarked pages name and it will bring it up. This is the Search procedure and it apparently searchs bookmarks first before going online. Seems workable, different but workable.

Mike Walsh

#36 Post by Mike Walsh »

jrb wrote:re:Bookmarks

So far all I've found is this: If you bookmark a page, ctrl+d, then you can click on any open tab, type in part of the bookmarked pages name and it will bring it up. This is the Search procedure and it apparently searchs bookmarks first before going online. Seems workable, different but workable.
Mm. Yah, I reckon that sounds like this thing they're referring to as 'Fuzzy Search'. But it still involves extra key-strokes which in other browsers only needs at most one or two clicks...

I guess it could be 'gotten used to', given time....but like the proverbial old dog, I don't really want to be learning those kinds of tricks. It could get really confusing switching back & forth from Chrome/Firefox to this, then back again....

I reckon I'm with Mikeslr on this one. Until/unless the devs come up with a slightly more workable system, for me it, too, will remain in the category of 'curiosity'. But it is fast; in some ways, bits of it remind me of Vivaldi....

mikeb

#37 Post by mikeb »

On the min site it says you can type in !bookmarks to show them but not working for me.
Apparently 1.8 will have a bookmarks button.

It is the chrome engine but with a very simple javascript wrapper, which can be infinity customised should you so wish.
For me its chrome without the crud for those nasty google/chrome only sites. reminds me of the days of IE only web pages.

Anyway to round off my contribution I noticed the min on the dev site needs later glibc/libstdc++/gtk3 but the build posted earlier here does not.
So here it is for 1.7 but moved to /usr/lib and with those needed mozilla libs (aw the irony lol) so it can exist as the only browser say for a kiosk.

Also updated the lucid update to included libstdc++_6.0.17.

The pair give you a running setup for Lucid.

I also seem to have the user interface cut off but minimising then maximising from the taskbar sorts it out.

Ok files

Min 1.7
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9tpklhgj06roo ... 4.sfs?dl=1

Library updates for Lucid
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qstbgo9rm6fn4 ... 4.sfs?dl=1

remember the latter wont work with standard puppy sfs handling as it need to hide existing symlinks.

mike

hmm wonder if it will work on pentium 3.....
Last edited by mikeb on Thu 09 Aug 2018, 19:27, edited 1 time in total.

jrb

#38 Post by jrb »

mikeb wrote:On the min site it says you can type in !bookmarks to show them but not working for me.
Apparently 1.8 will have a bookmarks button.
Hey, good one mike!

I just created a new tab, ctrl+t, typed in !bookmarks and clicked Search bookmarks and there they were ready to choose from. I'm starting to like this. :D
Attachments
min-bookmarks1.jpg
(9.09 KiB) Downloaded 508 times
min-bookmarks2.jpg
(17.61 KiB) Downloaded 518 times

Mike Walsh

#39 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hey, Mike.

I don't know what your Dropbox link for the library updates is doing, but here it got up to over 200 MB+ before I decided something wasn't right, and cancelled? :shock:

It was downloading something called 'Public.zip'.....

T'other Mike. :wink:

mikeb

#40 Post by mikeb »

I just created a new tab, ctrl+t, typed in !bookmarks and clicked Search bookmarks and there they were ready to choose from. I'm starting to like this.
ah nice one... one top tip for using bookmarks only squirrels knew about......

I don't know what your Dropbox link for the library updates is doing, but here it got up to over 200 MB+ before I decided something wasn't right, and cancelled? Shocked
Hmm one upon a time dropbox had a public folder which was the only way to hand out direct links.
Since they removed that system, generation of links is erratic for anything in that folder it seems....and I am using THEIR api to generate it...it gives two results...one may not work...quality software eh. Before it was defaulting to a zip of 3GB of files....yo dropbox.

Amended working link above.

mike