Laptop processor overheats watching Youtube

Booting, installing, newbie
memo

#21 Post by memo »

mikeslr wrote:Just a couple of ideas as I have to run and can't go into details now:

1. old versions of manjaro can still be obtained. For example, https://sourceforge.net/projects/manjar ... 5.12/xfce/. You can configure them to NOT update. But, off-hand, I don't know how.

2. For just searching the web, opera 12.16 remains one of the lightest browsers. http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... es-common/ QTWeb is also very light-weight. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 562#954562 Their downsides are that some current webpages aren't properly displayed, and viewing streaming video is (probably) impossible. So for viewing the videos you find, use something like gtk-youtube-viewer. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 749#612749

3. Try an older --less resource intensive-- Puppy such as Carolina 1.3 (remove adrv and just install the apps you want) or any version of Precise. Install Watchdog's Palemoon for viewing current graphic-intensive websites: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 676#973676

mikesLr

yes i know, i have tried that yesterday and it works fine, I was hopeing to find a system that i can updated and install things. with manjaro 15.12 i will be stuck with the apps that came with it and I can not install anything else. may be it is a trade off I need to do.

mikeslr

#22 Post by mikeslr »

Just a thought. I don't have any experience with either of these, but both are reputed to be low on resource demands while enabling the use of modern applications, including web-browsers:

Corepup, available here, https://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_Corepup. I think Corepup-6 would be a good starting point, and look for its first appearance on the thread, maybe about here, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 879#997879 but my impression is that you'd best at least scan thru the entire thread to understand how it differs from other puppies.

Perhaps Tazpup has less of a learning curve. You'll find the link to its latest version here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 80#1000680. My read, IIRC, is that except for calling SFSes by a different name, it works pretty much like Puppies and pets can be installed as well as tazpkges from the Slitaz repos. Additionally, as a consequence of how mistfire has chosen to build Tazpup, it can take advantage to some extent of Slitaz's 'rolling-release' nature without loosing the Puppy applications you have.
- - - - - -
I have more familiarity with the 'debian dogs'. With your experience running manjaro, the debian dogs' use of apt-get and synaptic as Package Managers should present an easy learning curve. All the 'dogs' are light on resources. I particularly liked Mintpup which actually provided access to Trusty Tahr's Repos. But currently, my Menu.lst enables me to occasionally boot into Stretchdog (based on Debian Stretch) and BionicDog (based on Ubuntu Bionic Beaver) -- hence these are modern OSes. Again, these are light on resources but getting the most out of them will require a little reading. Worth trying them before committing your old computer to a landfill. Links to them are on the Projects Section.

mikesLr

Burn_IT

#23 Post by Burn_IT »

Indeed ! my Thinkpad struggles with heat and I use the on demand settings.

You should also look at the TPFANCNTL software that was written to help with this very problem.
I got this TP dirt cheap because it was overheating and cleaned the HS/fan assembly and set the CPU speed correctly and it now manages to cope (just) with the fastest processor available for it.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

perdido

#24 Post by perdido »

Burn_IT wrote:Indeed ! my Thinkpad struggles with heat and I use the on demand settings.

You should also look at the TPFANCNTL software that was written to help with this very problem.
I got this TP dirt cheap because it was overheating and cleaned the HS/fan assembly and set the CPU speed correctly and it now manages to cope (just) with the fastest processor available for it.
TPFANCNTL
Is this a typo? No such program spelled like that.

foxpup

#25 Post by foxpup »

perdido wrote:TPFANCNTL
Is this a typo? No such program spelled like that.
https://www.staff.uni-marburg.de/~schmitzr/tpfc.html But it is for windowz.
Maybe this for linux: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_control_fan_speed

Burn_IT

#26 Post by Burn_IT »

Well a quick Google of Thinkpad fan control Linux throws up a lot of possible solutions.
Obviously I cannot test any of them to see if they work for YOU.

There IS an ibm_fan_control-01.pet
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

perdido

#27 Post by perdido »

Burn_IT wrote:Well a quick Google of Thinkpad fan control Linux throws up a lot of possible solutions.
Obviously I cannot test any of them to see if they work for YOU.

There IS an ibm_fan_control-01.pet
A quick google of TPFANCNTL throws up no exact matches.

Its named strange enough to be a part of the old IBM_PC_BBS, but it is not there.

Thanks for clrfyng. :)

bigpup

#28 Post by bigpup »

it doesnot appear when you run fresh puppy, but rather when you begin to install things and dig deeper.
What are you installing??????????????????

About what you feel when the fan is running, for airflow.
Just because you feel air flow at the fan outlet, does not indicate the internal airflow passages are clear.
Any computer, with some age to it, will have dust buildup internally, that can and could be blocking proper airflow.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

mikeslr

#29 Post by mikeslr »

memo wrote: I was hopeing to find a system that i can updated and install things. with manjaro 15.12 i will be stuck with the apps that came with it and I can not install anything else. may be it is a trade off I need to do.
Not necessarily. A quick search revealed that AppImages can be run under Arch Linux upon which Manjaro is based. Other than keeping up with security fixes, the only thing really important to update --so that web-pages can be accessed-- are web-browsers. firefox and Chromium are available as AppImages. Probably other web-browsers as well.

An AppImage is ideally self-contained, that is includes all dependencies. But sometimes they're not. ArchLinux has tools for working with AppImages. And https://pkgs.org/ may host any needed file not found in a Manjaro or Arch repo.

mikesLr

peterw

CPU power and temperatures

#30 Post by peterw »

Reading about the CPU in that laptop (thinkbad r50e) I found this. http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium_M ... 600F).html And digging into the details it indicates that it is designed to take an average of 21 W. It can work up to 30 W for a brief period and the temperature will ramp up. I suspect that without regulating the CPU demand then it is running flat out and causing the over heating PC. It will be better able to resist overheating if the filters are cleaned and the CPU reseated with new grease.

This CPU was released in 2004 which is rather ancient but should still be able to run Puppy.

Mike Walsh

#31 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ peterw:-
peterw wrote:Reading about the CPU in that laptop (thinkbad r50e) I found this. http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium_M ... 600F).html And digging into the details it indicates that it is designed to take an average of 21 W. It can work up to 30 W for a brief period and the temperature will ramp up.
Well, as the 'Dothan' variant. it does at least have the advantage of not being saddled with that stupid, 'hidden' PAE flag that the 'Banias' variant is lumbered with.

Why in the name of all that's holy Intel ever thought it necessary to pull such a stupid stunt has always escaped me. But then, hey; who amongst us can figure out Intel's thought-processes at the best of times.....?

Unfortunately, though, it's still a variation on the Netburst architecture, as used on the Pentium 4s.....along with only SSE2's (SSE3s would be better, of course, but there ya go). That 2 MB L2 helps enormously, of course; most of the 400 MHz FSB P4s only got 512kb if they were lucky.

My own old Dell lappie uses a 2.6 GHz 400 FSB P4. Intel billed these things as being 'multimedia ready'....though that was by the standards of 15 years ago, when all software was less demanding. Even so, she puts out enough heat that the exhaust vent is usually doing a fair impersonation of a hot air paint stripper.....and that's with a regular 12-monthly strip-down/springclean & reseat of the heatsink with fresh TPM. With a TDP of nearly 70W (ouch), I feel she deserves at least that.....

(Netburst does run hot. It's that long pipeline that's at the bottom of it; it's doing far more simultaneous calculations.....)

Dell's 'thermal solutions' back in the early years of the millennium left a lot to be desired.....despite lappies in those days being much bulkier than now, along with (usually) a lot more 'air-space' inside.

But I think you're asking a lot of a 'Netburst' CPU if you want it to play YouTube. Older hardware like that, you need to accept certain limitations, and lower your expectations accordingly. Like video transcoding is totally out of the question.....!! :lol: :lol:

I agree with a_salty_dogg, though. Tahr 6.0.5 would be well worth trying out; it was the first Puppy that 'played nice' with the Dell in the early days, OOTB.

Mike.:wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Wed 08 Aug 2018, 21:12, edited 2 times in total.

bigpup

#32 Post by bigpup »

play YouTube
YouTube videos can be adjusted to use different settings.
Look for the settings icon, lower right side of display screen.
The quality setting can have a big affect on computer demand.
Really, the higher quality settings are going to need some higher quality graphics hardware, to work correctly.
YaPI(any iso installer)

memo

#33 Post by memo »

In the past few days, I were looking for a solution, and I tried to install the smtub or gtk youtube viewer without success. I have seen the posts in the forum and I have followed them but it is not working for me. I there a possibility that one of the developer make a pet that make these two work out of the box ?

the browser like pale moon and ff 27 and 32 are working relatively alright, the problem is with youtube.

bigpup

#34 Post by bigpup »

Did you try what I suggested about changing the YouTube video settings?
Change the quality setting to a lower number or have it set to auto.
Did this have a good or bad affect?
YaPI(any iso installer)

memo

#35 Post by memo »

bigpup wrote:Did you try what I suggested about changing the YouTube video settings?
Change the quality setting to a lower number or have it set to auto.
Did this have a good or bad affect?

it is always on auto, and when changing it to low, it have some good effect on the streaming but a small effect on the heat.

ofcourse the lap is pretty old but I think the problem can be also attributed to how the distro work (although it is not a problem by itself). only three distros have worked well on this old machine.

Q4os --> has a different problems but not the youtube problem, actually YouTube is pretty fast and smooth without that over heat problem.

linux lite --> has different problems similar to the above.

Manjaro 15.12 --> No updates or connection with the servers.

As mentioned earlier, I have tried puppy on 2 different old machines (one of them have a dual core 1.8 processor), both have the same problem. That make you wonder, how a distro like Q4os work the latest version of chromium without a problem and another distro (like puppy and many others I have tried) would encounter such problem.

perdido

#36 Post by perdido »

Some interesting info about lowering cpu use in palemoon 27.3 while watching youtube https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.ph ... 21#p115421

Its a 64-bit machine running arch, this person used pepper-flash and freshplayerplugin packages to lower cpu use from 60% down to 25%

a_salty_dogg

#37 Post by a_salty_dogg »

The above thread perdido linked on the Palemoon site prompted another thought; do you have "Use hardware acceleration when available" unticked in "preferences > advanced > general"?
Have often seen that reported as improving performance for those using Firefox based browsers on lower powered machines.

Also have you tried running any other Puppies yet? Can make a huge difference if you only have such a limited-resourced machine to play with, and thus are always "living on the edge".
Have already suggested Tahr 6.05 or Unicornpup in my post above, but maybe set your sights even earlier and try Precise 5.71 or Slacko 5.7? Both run Palemoon perfectly well, and taking far fewer resources than Tahr 6.06.

All Puppies are not equal in the world which those of us with low-spec'd, antedeluvian, machines inhabit! :wink:

memo

#38 Post by memo »

perdido wrote:Some interesting info about lowering cpu use in palemoon 27.3 while watching youtube https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.ph ... 21#p115421

Its a 64-bit machine running arch, this person used pepper-flash and freshplayerplugin packages to lower cpu use from 60% down to 25%

Thanks for the suggestion, I will check this and back to you. so far in an attempt to lower the CPU usage I have disabled flash and play it in HTML5, there is no difference in performance so far.

memo

#39 Post by memo »

a_salty_dogg wrote:The above thread perdido linked on the Palemoon site prompted another thought; do you have "Use hardware acceleration when available" unticked in "preferences > advanced > general"?
Have often seen that reported as improving performance for those using Firefox based browsers on lower powered machines.

Also have you tried running any other Puppies yet? Can make a huge difference if you only have such a limited-resourced machine to play with, and thus are always "living on the edge".
Have already suggested Tahr 6.05 or Unicornpup in my post above, but maybe set your sights even earlier and try Precise 5.71 or Slacko 5.7? Both run Palemoon perfectly well, and taking far fewer resources than Tahr 6.06.

All Puppies are not equal in the world which those of us with low-spec'd, antedeluvian, machines inhabit! :wink:

I really tried almost all of them besides ( besides other tens of other distro in the past few days) , they all fast and excellent ( except the last version is really heavy). however they all encounter the same problem with youtube, I also need to use pretty old version of FF like 27 or 32 otherwise it would be really slow.

bigpup

#40 Post by bigpup »

You are using a very low featured single core processor.
It has none of the features that modern processors have.
It probably is being pushed, to run at close to 100%, to do YouTube video.

If all the cooling passages, fan intake and output openings are clear of dust, processor has good contact with it's heat sink, it is what it is.
Again, just because you feel air coming out of the computer, does not indicate it is going into the computer correctly.
YaPI(any iso installer)