Personal Storage file - Out of space error <Solved>

Booting, installing, newbie
dcung

Personal Storage file - Out of space error <Solved>

#1 Post by dcung »

Hi,

I installed LxPrecisePup15091 and UpupBB1805 on the laptop (both frugal), savefolders chosen.
I partition the 70GB disk as following:
sda1 - 10GB (ext3 for LxPrecisePup1509)
sda2 - 60GB (ext4 for UpupBB1805)

Immediate after install, LxPrecisePup1509 complained that I have no more space left when trying to install some pkg by PPM. But if you hover the mouse above the storage icon on bottom right corner, it show I have plenty (almost 9GB).
I tried resizing, adding and rebooted. Still error.

I thought by configuring the way it is (recommended by Universal Installer), I don't have to worry about space until my partition is full. This is what happened in UpupBB1805, when I run "Resize Personal Space", it said no need (see attached). And I don't have such issue (so far, touch wood).

How to resolve without reinstall Precise pls?
Attachments
Screenshot2.png
(38.25 KiB) Downloaded 454 times
Screenshot.png
(11.41 KiB) Downloaded 455 times
Last edited by dcung on Thu 02 Aug 2018, 08:24, edited 7 times in total.

dcung

#2 Post by dcung »

It was working ok when it was co-existing with Windows in ntfs.
So, for now, I format sda1 fat, until I find answer.

Edit
But it was savefile then not savefolder.
Last edited by dcung on Mon 30 Jul 2018, 04:58, edited 3 times in total.

nic007

#3 Post by nic007 »

I'm guessing. You have a savefile for the precise installation (how big is it as it may need resizing) and you have savefolder for the upup installation (this doesn't need resizing)?

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

Do not go to ntfs.
That is not going to help anything.

If the save was originally made on a ntfs formatted Windows partition.
It had to be a save file.

If the ntfs file system was fragmented, it will also make the save file fragmented.
If you moved a fragmented save file to a ext3 file system, it is still fragmented.
A fragmented save file can have problems.
Windows has defrag program to defrag a ntfs file system.
Put the save back on the ntfs file system and defrag it using Windows defrag program.
Last edited by bigpup on Thu 26 Jul 2018, 13:17, edited 1 time in total.

rockedge

#5 Post by rockedge »

sounds like the boot options need to be reviewed....how are you booting? Grub4Dos generated menu.lst?

dcung

#6 Post by dcung »

nic007 wrote:I'm guessing. You have a savefile for the precise installation (how big is it as it may need resizing) and you have savefolder for the upup installation (this doesn't need resizing)?
I had savefolder for both installation. That's why I was expecting same behaviour from both installation. ie. no need resizing.

rockedge wrote:sounds like the boot options need to be reviewed....how are you booting? Grub4Dos generated menu.lst?
Yes, this is correct.
bigpup wrote:If the save was originally made on a ntfs formatted Windows partition.
It had to be a save file.
No, it is new installation. New savefolder chosen during install.

I had to do 'workaround' since the laptop was needed.
I re-format sda1 to fat and use savefile instead for the time being.
Not too concern about fragmentation atm.
I'll revisit later.

davids45

PrecisePup and Savefolder or Savefile?

#7 Post by davids45 »

G'day dcung,

I had a quick look at a couple of my old Precise Pups and they use size-limited save-files, not save-folders. My screenshots show the sub-directory detail for these two PrecisePups and they only have savefiles. I don't think the savefolder option was available back when PrecisePups were coming out.

In my screenshots, the first is of one on my bionicpups' details showing the savefolder as a "Dir" not a single file. I chose the folder option at installation, not the savefile.
Both Precise savefiles I've set to 32MB because just about everything I add is a symlink from my big sda5 data partition and all caches, profiles and configs are also symlinked back to sda5 from this small 'old frugals' partition (sda7 - 30GB with about twenty Pups after my 2018 cull).
I run newer Pups as frugals on sda1 but again with all added apps, etc as links back to sda5 so these new Pups have quite small save-folders composed mostly of symlinks not space-consuming data and program files.

I'd advise you to set a 512MB savefile size with Precise for starters while you are getting familiar with Puppy.

Your screenshot does not show details of the contents of the displayed files - could you re-do your screen shot in the 'list details' mode?
And for both your Pups so we can compare the old Precise details with the newer BionicPup set-up?

Another nice day outside, too :D .

David S.
Attachments
bionicpup-save-dir.jpg
a bionicpup on sda1 shows the savefolder as a Dir not a file as per old Pups
(60.75 KiB) Downloaded 389 times
precise571-files.jpg
my precise571 subfolder details showing its 32MB save-file
(46.36 KiB) Downloaded 391 times
ovprecise2018-files.jpg
save-file is set as 32MB but has less actual data and plenty of free space within that 32MB
(51.62 KiB) Downloaded 391 times

dcung

#8 Post by dcung »

Gday David,

I'm able to reproduce the issue on another laptop too.
Not sure if Precise support savefolder or otherwise. But for sure, it did offer such recommendation during install, which led me to believe that it does support savefolder. Than again, I've only been playing Puppy a short time... :lol:

I'm actually with rockedge, thinking that it's got something to do with boot options. Hence, I'm tinkering with menu.lst file.

I was actually was about to post a screenshot to show that it was a savefolder...before reading your post... :)

Nice day indeed.. :wink:
Attachments
capture29635.png
(73.8 KiB) Downloaded 380 times
capture22245.png
(64.88 KiB) Downloaded 381 times
capture18188.png
(66.76 KiB) Downloaded 385 times
capture16880.png
(29.28 KiB) Downloaded 384 times
capture13638.png
(120.73 KiB) Downloaded 383 times

dcung

#9 Post by dcung »

These screenshots from upupbb.
No complain about no space in PPM.
Attachments
Screenshot3.png
(90.9 KiB) Downloaded 383 times
Screenshot2.png
(104.89 KiB) Downloaded 379 times

bigpup

#10 Post by bigpup »

That image you posted of the Lxprecise save is showing it as an inode/directory not an actual directory.
inode. The inode is a data structure in a Unix-style file system that describes a filesystem object such as a file or a directory. Each inode stores the attributes and disk block location(s) of the object's data.
Understand that Lxprecise is not a standard official Puppy it is a derivative of the official Precise Puppy.
I am not sure exactly how it is making a save, but it does not seem to be the normal Puppy way.
It may even have a bug in the save making process.

By your image showing it offering to let you make the save bigger.
Try making it bigger and see what happens.
May have to add to the size of the save several times.

If you are new to Puppy, you really need to start by using one of the official versions you can get from here:
http://puppylinux.com/
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

jafadmin

#11 Post by jafadmin »

I ran into this problem a few years back, as I recall. The cause then was that the install process needed to find plenty of spare space available in /tmp.

Since puppy runs in RAM, this space is limited. So what I did was redirect /tmp for the install process:

Code: Select all

mkdir /mnt/home/tmp
mount -o bind /tmp /mnt/home/tmp 
What this does is redirect /tmp to a mount point on the physical HD you booted from instead of going to RAM.

Then after I'm done installing:

Code: Select all

umount /mnt/home/tmp
Which reverts /tmp to it's normal condition.

Mike Walsh

#12 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ dcung:-
bigpup wrote:By your image showing it offering to let you make the save bigger.
Try making it bigger and see what happens.
May have to add to the size of the save several times.
There is actually a 'quick & dirty' way round this. I discovered it almost by accident, over a year ago (quite possibly not the first to do so!), and detailed it here, for anyone else who, for whatever reason, might also wish to dispense with repeating the process several times.

Hope that perhaps helps.

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 29 Jul 2018, 13:59, edited 1 time in total.

perdido

Re: PrecisePup and Savefolder or Savefile?

#13 Post by perdido »

davids45 wrote:
I'd advise you to set a 512MB savefile size with Precise for starters while you are getting familiar with Puppy.
Good advise. This is probably the way to success, precise was made with woof , not woof-CE.
Only pups made with woof-CE can do save folders.
bigpup wrote:That image you posted of the Lxprecise save is showing it as an inode/directory not an actual directory.
inode. The inode is a data structure in a Unix-style file system that describes a filesystem object such as a file or a directory. Each inode stores the attributes and disk block location(s) of the object's data.
Understand that Lxprecise is not a standard official Puppy it is a derivative of the official Precise Puppy.
I am not sure exactly how it is making a save, but it does not seem to be the normal Puppy way.
It may even have a bug in the save making process.
Good point. Go with the save file for precise.

dcung

#14 Post by dcung »

Thank you guys for all your inputs. :)

I have done my research.
It is actually a known 'bug' that was found in 2013/2014. A few forum members collaborated to 'fix' it. But it was 'unofficial'. Quite a few postings about this issue - in the old Precise571 thread.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=87712

My interest to find a 'proper fix', is driven by my curiosity to explore and learn in the process. I have 'implemented' my workaround, ie. use savefile, but this is beside the point.

I know that LxPrecisePup1509 is based on Precise571 (which was old and not maintained anymore). But whoever that currently 'maintain' LxPrecisePup1509 maybe interested to know that their "Precise572" which was supposed to include solution to this issue, does not work or not incorporated properly.
I'm yet to find a good "LxPrecisePup1509 thread" to highlight this. Probably because, not much interest in savefolder for Precise, an outdated Pup.
And I happen to have a laptop that only outdated Puppy, like Precise (or its derivative) would run... :)

This is probably the most relevant answer to the 'issue'.
perdido wrote:precise was made with woof , not woof-CE.
Only pups made with woof-CE can do save folders.
From my very limited understanding of Puppy scripts under the hood, the issue revolve around mounting the savefolder.

I was going to confirm this also is 'reproduceable' and 'fixable' in Precise571.
To make "Precise572" I did try to apply the 'fix' found in the thread, ie. a delta file for Precise571 iso to make 'unofficial 572' . But when applied, got a checksum error. Resulting iso was smaller (120MB). Though I checked, both 571 iso and the delta iso checksum was as shown in the thread.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=379
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=381

Also put a link here on the thread, in case someone can help.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=553

Cheers.

Sailor Enceladus

#15 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

I think the thread for LxPrecisePup1509 is actually here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 384#862384

But as you say, the link here:
http://lx-pup.weebly.com/upup-precise.html

Mentions:
Mavrothal provided enhancements to support save folders to form Precise Puppy 5.7.2
It looks like an early experiment from 2014-2015... but if you post in the LxPup thread maybe peebee will respond or maybe even upgrade the iso (not sure).

dcung

#16 Post by dcung »

Thanks, Sailor

I have posted there and put a link here.
Hopefully peebee can give clarification.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=969

ozsouth

#17 Post by ozsouth »

Some versions of /usr/local/petget/pkg_chooser.sh did not collect free disk space info. Fixed by editing that file, by inserting following 3 lines of code at line 2 (after #!/bin/sh):

mf=`free | grep -o 'Mem: .*' | tr -s ' ' | cut -f 4 -d ' '`
sm=`expr $mf \/ 1024`
echo "$sm" > /tmp/pup_event_sizefreem

EDIT: Above checks free memory. Commentors below refer to that. To check disk space, first line should be:
mf=`df | grep -m 1 '/dev/' | tr -s ' ' | cut -f 4 -d ' '`
Last edited by ozsouth on Tue 31 Jul 2018, 01:11, edited 1 time in total.

dcung

#18 Post by dcung »

G'day Ozsouth,

I put those lines. I suppose the lines somehow 'tricked' by putting values into variables that PPM expected.
The math is not correct though, not consistent even. That is, in fact, I have 8.9GB free space. And after inserting your lines of code, it showed 1256MB and 1263MB (two different numbers at two different PPM execution times). I didn't install anything at both times of executing PPM.

I supposed, your 'workaround' will enable PPM to continue its job.
But does not get to the bottom of the problem, ie. savefolder support.
And when 'savefolder' works, in PPM it should show 8.9GB available (?).

Link below shows screenshots from upupbb, that supports savefolder properly. Free space in PPM is pretty much same as in file manager.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 58&start=8

Thanks oz, for showing me your 'trick'..
Attachments
capture19881.png
(87.59 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
capture11028.png
(87.21 KiB) Downloaded 190 times

peebee

Re: Personal Storage file - Out of space error

#19 Post by peebee »

dcung wrote:LxPrecisePup1509 complained that I have no more space left when trying to install some pkg by PPM.
Wow - a blast from the past - LxPrecisePup is getting on for 3 years ancient!!

This is a PPM problem - not a savefolder/savefile problem.....

The answer is to configure PPM to use the "traditional non-auto user interface" and then to use the "Examine dependencies" and "Download only" buttons to fetch the packages. Once fetched, click on the packages to install them.

Amazing really that PPM still works at all.... :wink:
Attachments
screenshot1.png
(170.17 KiB) Downloaded 177 times
screenshot2.png
(147.66 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

dcung

Re: Personal Storage file - Out of space error

#20 Post by dcung »

peebee wrote:The answer is to configure PPM to use the "traditional non-auto user interface" and then to use the "Examine dependencies" and "Download only" buttons to fetch the packages. Once fetched, click on the packages to install them.
Thanks peebee, that works. :)
It was not able show how much space available (my guess it was using same part of codes to do that with the other option), but your way allow PPM to proceed.

I guess, this is 'side effect' of using savefolder, since savefile does not show such symptom.

Thanks again peebee for responding so quick.
Attachments
capture30800.png
(11.66 KiB) Downloaded 148 times