SP214 - unofficial service pack

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
GuestToo
Puppy Master

#1 Post by GuestToo »

Unofficial means created solely by GuestToo

NOTE: SP214 will only install in Puppy 214
It will not install in other versions of Puppy,
or in other flavours and variants of Puppy
that are not based on Puppy 214, for example,
Muppy or Grafpup

Feb 25, 2007:
fixes Seamonkey crashing
NOTE: not thoroughly tested
(well, after 270 downloads, no one has reported a problem)
NOTE: click SP214.pup again to uninstall
- run-mozilla.sh would normally set env variables
- but Seamonkey is not being started by run-mozilla.sh

Feb 24, 2007:
dotpuprox.sh 0.0.4
- displays error message if the dotpup file is empty

Feb 25, 2007:
set .wmv Rox Run Action to defaultmediaplayer
Attachments
SP214.pup
(3.34 KiB) Downloaded 2089 times
Last edited by GuestToo on Tue 13 Mar 2007, 16:51, edited 6 times in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Installed the service pack and the Flash 9 dotpup. Will report back if anything bad happens. :lol:
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#3 Post by GuestToo »

great ... i tested it in Puppy 214 for a while with Flash 9 and Java 1.5.0_11 and it seems to work

one problem is that Puppy is not starting Seamonkey with the run-mozilla script, but is bypasssing it ... the trouble is, the run script sets up some environmental variables

the run script still crashes unless MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH is set (see desertpuppy's posts)
http://www.puppyos.net/forum/?1171320034
so it is desertpuppy's bugfix that is keeping Seamonkey from crashing

the extra env variables that are being set also apply when moz Mail and Composer and Address Book are run ... so the bugfix might affect those programs too

anyway, there have been no complaints so far

MU

#4 Post by MU »

Tried it in Muppy007 with Firefox 2.0.0.1.

I needed to change mozstart like this:

Code: Select all

# Include /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins in the plugin path:
#added to fix the FLASH 9 bug that crashes the browser
if [ "$MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH" ] ; then
MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=$MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH:${moz_libdir}/plugins:/root/.mozilla/plugins:/usr/lib/firefox/plugins
else
MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=${moz_libdir}/plugins:/root/.mozilla/plugins:/usr/lib/firefox/plugins
fi
export MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH
#end of add to fix the FLASH 9 bug that crashes the browser
This is needed for my Flash9 dotpup, that will install to /root/.mozilla/plugins

http://puppyfiles.org/dotpupsde/dotpups ... Flash9.pup

Note that GuestToos dotpup will have no effect, as Muppy uses Seamonkey 1.0.4 and Firefox 2.0.0.1

Mark
Last edited by MU on Sun 25 Feb 2007, 15:05, edited 2 times in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

thanks for the service pack

#5 Post by Lobster »

:)

I am running 2.15 "V" CE ALPHA and that uses Firefox and IceWm but is based on 2.14 - so this has nothing for me? Shame because I think that Firefox is using Flash 7 and flashblock? I was able to use Flash 9 in SeaMonkey (not everyone was) and found the Seamonkey 1.1 (that was used in the first 2.14 Alpha) stable in use (never crashed) again not everyone found this.

I know G2 uses Firefox (do you still?) and Mark was using Konqueror (still?) My personal tendency is to use whatever is in Puppy. So I was happy with Seamonkey and happy to be using Firefox. Who remembers when we used Dillo? (I do - just about)

am I ranting as usual . . . :oops:

thanks for the patch

Viva V Viz
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

MU

#6 Post by MU »

You can use my example above for any mozilla based browser I think, if you adapt the Paths to your installation.

In Muppy, firefox is in /usr/lib/firefox
I think some dotpups used /usr/local/firefox

So if you change that according to your Puppy, Flash9 should run stable.

I use Konqueror seldom at moment, as Firefox runs very stable and fast meanwhile.
It also is easy to use my bookmarks and such on another computer, as I just have to copy over /root/.mozilla/firefox/.

Mark

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#7 Post by GuestToo »

i uploaded a new version of SP214
Do NOT install GuestToos servicepack in Muppy!
Muppy uses a modified mozstart to run firefox!
Mark, did you actually test the SP214 Seamonkey patch in Muppy? ... if you did, did the patch actually not work? ... that is, did Seamonkey still crash? ... NOTE: this patch should not affect Firefox, only Seamonkey ... unless Firefox is installed in /usr/lib/seamonkey-1.0.6/

if MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH is set, for example in mozstart, this command should be executed:

export MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=$MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH:/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

this should not change MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH, except to add /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins to the end of the path

i don't know why this would not work properly ... i don't know why this patch would not work in Muppy

i'm not sure how Seamonkey uses MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH ... maybe it is necessary to have only one dir in the path? ... i don't know

as far as i know, Seamonkey does not use the variable moz_libdir at all, for anything ... i far as i know, it will never be set, unless it is set in a file like mozstart or /etc/profile, and probably no one should do that ... since moz_libdir is not set, then this:

MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=${moz_libdir}/plugins:/root/.mo ...

will set the path to this:

/plugins:/root/.mozilla/plugins ...

i don't think adding /plugins to the path was intended

i think the situation seems to be this:

Barry replaced mozilla-bin with a wrapper script to workaround a bug with pango ... he renamed mozilla-bin to seamonkey-bin

Seamonkey should be started by running run-mozilla.sh, but Barry has bypassed run-mozilla.sh and runs mozilla-bin directly ... this may cause problems, because run-mozilla.sh sets up various environmental shell variables that may be necessary for the Seamonkey suite to work properly ... run-mozilla.sh also does other things, for example, it seems to do a crc checks ... maybe running run-mozilla.sh should not be skipped

in addition, run-mozilla.sh has a few bugs in it ... for example, the script seems to have been written assuming that the name of the script is "mozilla" ... if you run the script as run-mozilla.sh, it will not start ... if you rename it (or copy it or symlink it) to mozilla, it will start

for example:

MOZ_DEFAULT_NAME="./${cmdname}-bin"

sets MOZ_DEFAULT_NAME to run-mozilla.sh-bin ... i think it makes more sense if the script is named "mozilla", then MOZ_DEFAULT_NAME would be mozilla-bin

and later in the script it tries to find the executable $MOZ_DEFAULT_NAME ... if the script is named "mozilla", it does find the executable, and Seamonkey will start

there are other bugs ... sometimes the script has error messages ... i'm not sure if they are bugs in the script, or problems with Busybox, or both ... in any case, i am pretty sure that Seamonkey script is buggy

so this is what i am trying to workaround ... a buggy Seamonkey application, modifications by Barry that may be causing problems, and possible problems with Seamonkey and Busybox

MU

#8 Post by MU »

Ah I see.
No I thought it modifies mozstart.
I'll edit my last post.
Muppy has seamonkey 1.0.4 (as addon), as it is based on Puppy 2.12.
The main browser is Firefox.

Mark

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#9 Post by GuestToo »

SP214 will only run if /etc/puppyversion is 214 ... if puppyversion in Muppy is not set to 214, my SP214 package will not install anything anyway

to repeat, SP214.pup is only for Puppy 214 ... it will not install in Pupp 213, or 212, or any other version of Puppy

my Seamonkey patch will not install unless the md5sum of mozilla-bin is not correct ... mozilla-bin must be the original file that came with Puppy 214 ... if the file was changed in any way, my patch will not try to install

also, when SP214 executes, it automatically removes my Seamonkey patch if it was installed, which should restore Seamonkey to the way it was originally ... only one file is changed by my patch, so it is a simple patch

so i think my SP214 package is relatively safe to try

edoc

#10 Post by edoc »

GuestToo wrote: so i think my SP214 package is relatively safe to try
ERROR: mozilla-bin has wrong md5sum
bugfix was not installed

???

Also, if you go to this URL:
http://www.nwfamilychurch.com/Display.a ... smallgroup
scroll down to Small Group Brochure and open it that also
crashes the computer -- do they have Flash 9 embedded in
that PDF?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#11 Post by GuestToo »

the Seamonkey bugfix replaces one file: /usr/lib/seamonkey-1.0.6/mozilla-bin

if the file is the original file that came with Puppy 214,
the file will be backed up and replaced with the bugfix

if it is not the original file, if it has been modified
or if it has been corrupted somehow,
my bugfix will refuse to install

if you did not modify the file yourself,
that may be the reason that Seamonkey is crashing
on your system ... you have corrupted files

if you did modify the file yourself,
you can just copy the original file
and my bugfix should install:

copy the file mozilla-bin in /initrd/pup_ro2/usr/lib/seamonkey-1.0.6/ to /usr/lib/seamonkey-1.0.6/

or type:

cp /initrd/pup_ro2/usr/lib/seamonkey-1.0.6/mozilla-bin /usr/lib/seamonkey-1.0.6/

if it still does not work, either you or i have
a corrupted original mozilla-bin file
(if my file is corrupted, everyone trying to install
the package would have the same problem)

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#12 Post by GuestToo »

the Small Group Brochure does not crash on my machine
when i open it using Seamonkey ...
are you sure you don't have corrupted files?

# md5sum vmlinuz initrd.gz pup_214.sfs zdrv_214.sfs
952484a8a742d57595d7ae8b8118b7f1 vmlinuz
214adb2349eaafd9eb5fc21a366c7086 initrd.gz
c92efac56b85cfee62b6afe177ac8ae3 pup_214.sfs
39fea5ebb5b3a2969efa19b0b32cc876 zdrv_214.sfs
#

edoc

#13 Post by edoc »

GuestToo wrote:the Small Group Brochure does not crash on my machine
when i open it using Seamonkey ...
are you sure you don't have corrupted files?

# md5sum vmlinuz initrd.gz pup_214.sfs zdrv_214.sfs
#
All looks OK.

# cd/
# md5sum pup_214.sfs zdrv_214.sfs

# cd/boot
# md5sum vmlinuz initrd.gz
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

WhoDo

Re: thanks for the service pack

#14 Post by WhoDo »

Lobster wrote:I am running 2.15 "V" CE ALPHA and that uses Firefox and IceWm but is based on 2.14 - so this has nothing for me? Shame because I think that Firefox is using Flash 7 and flashblock? I was able to use Flash 9 in SeaMonkey (not everyone was) and found the Seamonkey 1.1 (that was used in the first 2.14 Alpha) stable in use (never crashed) again not everyone found this.
Marks code above will also work in Puppy 2.15CE Alpha, provided you change the paths to the correct ones for Firefox. I have tried it, updated to Flash 9 and all is well. Just cut and paste the code to the appropriate section of firefox.sh, change the paths and you're in business.

Cheers

edoc

Re: thanks for the service pack

#15 Post by edoc »

We have not discovered the reason it will not install on the desktop here but I did just
install the unofficial SP214 on my laptop and that went cleanly -- haven't tried to break
it yet!

Do I also need to do this mod (below) as well or is in included in SP214?
... the run script still crashes unless MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH is set (see desertpuppy's posts)
http://www.puppyos.net/forum/?1171320034
so it is desertpuppy's bugfix that is keeping Seamonkey from crashing
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#16 Post by GuestToo »

no, i included the MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH bugfix too

edoc

#17 Post by edoc »

GuestToo wrote:no, i included the MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH bugfix too
My checksums are OK on the desktop so I do not know why the patch brings up an
error.

I also checked my download of your patch.

Code: Select all

sh-3.00# cd /root/dotpups-downloads
sh-3.00# md5sum SP214.pup
b9393d5e41df1085fd5fbb96113e185f  SP214.pup 
I don't know if this problem may be related to the same problem that is causing the
MENU item in the lower left corner of my desktop to be non-responsive to a mouse
click (it works fine on the laptop).

On both the laptop and desktop two shared problems exist that started, I think, with 2.11
(could have been earlier in the 2.xx releases):

1. Seamonkey spellcheck flags everything as wrong.

2. Login names and passwords are not remembered.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#18 Post by GuestToo »

the dotpup packages have built in md5 checksums for exactly this purpose ... i am reasonably certain that you have an exact byte for byte duplicate of my dotpup package ... and your md5sum of the dotpup file matches mine ... it is theoretically possible that 2 different files can have the same checksum, but in practice, you might as well say that it is certain that your dotpup package is a perfect copy of the original

so i don't need to even think about the possiblilty that your dotpup file might be corrupted

similarly, the built in md5sum checks are made on the files that were in the zip package, after the zip file was unzipped ... i know the package unzipped perfectly

the problem you are having is due to this line:

if md5sum /usr/lib/seamonkey-1.0.6/mozilla-bin | grep -q 6fe531834c481cc44dd10eaa31877d81 ;then

this tests to see if the file mozilla-bin in /usr/lib/seamonkey-1.0.6/ is the original file that comes with Puppy 214 ... if it is not the original file, my patch will refuse to install

in your case, either the mozilla-bin file has been modified or corrupted ... or the md5sum test is failing for other reasons ... for example, the md5sum executable may be corrupted or modified, or the grep program may be modified ... this can actually happen, if you have a root kit installed ... a root kit is like a virus, and will modify certain programs like md5sum to avoid detection

i think it is more likely that your mozilla-bin has been modified ... if you type this, this should be the result:

# md5sum /usr/lib/seamonkey-1.0.6/mozilla-bin
6fe531834c481cc44dd10eaa31877d81

if you do not get that md5 checksum number, that is your problem ... the mozilla-bin file has been modified, and my patch will refuse to install because something is wrong

you can restore the original mozilla-bin file by copying it from the read-only Puppy file system, like this:

cp /initrd/pup_ro2/usr/lib/seamonkey-1.0.6/mozilla-bin /usr/lib/seamonkey-1.0.6/

if that does not work, then the read-only file system is not mounted on /initrd/pup_ro2/, or your original mozilla-bin is not the same as mine

in any case, there is something wrong, and my patch will not install if there is something wrong, because i do not want to be blamed if the patch does not work properly ... and it might not work properly on a system that is not the standard Puppy system that was released as Puppy 214

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#19 Post by GuestToo »

the
MENU item in the lower left corner of my desktop to be non-responsive to a mouse
click
that sounds like you are using JWM, and that there is something wrong with the .jwmrc file ... it is very easy to change the file so that JWM will not work properly, which is why i avoid modifiying it directly from my dotpup package scripts

you could try typing in an rxvt console:

fixmenus

then restart JWM or X (or reboot)
1. Seamonkey spell check flags everything as wrong
i mostly use Firefox, and rarely use Seamonkey ... i have never noticed this problem, but then i don't use Seamonkey enough so that i would ... the Firefox spell checker seems to work quite well
2. Login names and passwords are not remembered
again, i do not use Seamonkey much, but it has always seemed to remember my passwords properly

you could try renaming the hidden folder /root/.mozilla (to maybe .mozilla2) ... this would give Seamonkey a clean new configuration ... if it runs properly with the new configuration files, you would know that the problem was corrupted files in the configuration folder ... you could get your original configuration files back by deleting .mozilla/ and renaming .mozilla2 back to .mozilla

in any case, no, i am not having those problems myself

edoc

#20 Post by edoc »

GuestToo wrote: i think it is more likely that your mozilla-bin has been modified ... if you type this, this should be the result:

# md5sum /usr/lib/seamonkey-1.0.6/mozilla-bin
6fe531834c481cc44dd10eaa31877d81

if you do not get that md5 checksum number, that is your problem ... the mozilla-bin file has been modified, and my patch will refuse to install because something is wrong
sh-3.00# md5sum /usr/lib/seamonkey-1.0.6/mozilla-bin
419e1e91194456d5d0ddefd8fdecbaff /usr/lib/seamonkey-1.0.6/mozilla-bin
GuestToo wrote: you can restore the original mozilla-bin file by copying it from the read-only Puppy file system, like this:

OK, did that and it ran OK ... now I will send this BEFORE
allowing my son to stress test it! :?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]