BionicDog (updated: 2018-06-04)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
stemsee

#381 Post by stemsee »

I hope you don't mind Fred but

On Dog-Radio clicking on the Drag N' Drop button more than once causes several such dnd panes to open overlapped. Clicking 'Stop' kills all of them, but I changed it to only allow one pane to open. I changed some titles and labels too for geometry recorder which doesn't handle spaces in titles. I also added geometry recording, and reformatted long lines ... if anyone wants to try ... 'dogradio script and ~/.geometry' .sfs
Attachments
Dog-Radio-alt.sfs.gz
(12 KiB) Downloaded 107 times

fredx181

#382 Post by fredx181 »

stemsee wrote:I hope you don't mind Fred but

On Dog-Radio clicking on the Drag N' Drop button more than once causes several such dnd panes to open overlapped. Clicking 'Stop' kills all of them, but I changed it to only allow one pane to open. I changed some titles and labels too for geometry recorder which doesn't handle spaces in titles. I also added geometry recording, and reformatted long lines ... if anyone wants to try ... 'dogradio script and ~/.geometry' .sfs
Thanks Stemsee, the fix for drag n' drop is nice, good that you found your way in that "not compact" dogradio script !
Need to say (for less advanced users) that the the dogradio script inside the sfs isn't made executable, so after loading sfs do:

Code: Select all

chmod +x /usr/local/bin/dogradio
Fred

vancheese

#383 Post by vancheese »

Hi People

Loving the latest Bionic Dog - I was wondering how the dog would/could play with snaps

ITSMERSH

#384 Post by ITSMERSH »

Hi.

I'm using the combination of Openbox/Tint2.

Is there a way to add programs (.desktop files etc.) to the desktop? If so, how?

Thanks

wiak

#385 Post by wiak »

Not in BionicDog, but I think it has the same(?) - you can use Rox pinboard with openbox and tint2 via Startmenu -> Settings -> Desktop Manager (might be different menu location in BionicDog (I don't know). Alternatively, Desktop Manager gives me option to use Pcmanfm for desktop along with Lxpanel. I use the first of these options (rox pinboard for desktop icons).

wiak

fredx181

#386 Post by fredx181 »

ITSMERSH wrote:Hi.

I'm using the combination of Openbox/Tint2.

Is there a way to add programs (.desktop files etc.) to the desktop? If so, how?

Thanks
Not with the (default) Openbox with tint2 bottom and top panels, but indeed as wiak says, you can use "Desktop Manager" for choosing another Desktop mode (but probably you know already, as we discussed earlier about it).

Fred

ITSMERSH

#387 Post by ITSMERSH »

Thanks @all.

Yes, I'd noticed those options of desktop manager, though I thought it could be possible in my setup, since I have it customized pretty well for my needs.

Never mind. I can live without desktop icons/buttons/programs...

dancytron

#388 Post by dancytron »

ITSMERSH wrote:Thanks @all.

Yes, I'd noticed those options of desktop manager, though I thought it could be possible in my setup, since I have it customized pretty well for my needs.

You can't put symlinks in /root/desktop?

fredx181

#389 Post by fredx181 »

dancytron wrote:
ITSMERSH wrote:Thanks @all.

You can't put symlinks in /root/desktop?
That would work only if e.g. pcmanfm controls the desktop, not for the Openbox with tint2 panels combination.

Fred

stemsee

#390 Post by stemsee »

How to install the kernel sources for 4.15.0-22 .. in fact I want only the .config

fredx181

#391 Post by fredx181 »

Hi stemsee, It's in the DEVX (to be precise, the .config is in usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.0-22-generic/)
32-bit:
https://github.com/fredx181/bionicdog/r ... 6.squashfs
64-bit:
https://github.com/fredx181/bionicdog/r ... 4.squashfs

EDIT: kernel config is also in /boot, so no need for DEVX then, I guess.

Fred

ETP

BionicDog live64 K 4.15.0.22-generic

#392 Post by ETP »

Testing:

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the above which I have been testing over the past month.
It is great to have a rolling release, running entirely in RAM with the option to save or not at the end of the session.
That is a wicked combination not found in traditional Pups. It opens up the easy possibility of installing an image file to
a stick and that is job finished.
Initial install from the ISO files was to a ext4 partition (sdb3) on a Samsung SSD-850.
Boot was via an additional vesamenu entry on my normal 4GB SD boot card:

MENU SEPARATOR

LABEL bionicdog
MENU LABEL BionicDog64    sdb3  24/06/18
KERNEL /bionicdog/vmlinuz
# APPEND initrd=/bionicdog/initrd1.xz noauto from=/dev/sdb3/bionicdog/ copy2ram changes=EXIT:/dev/sdb3/bionicdog/casper/
APPEND initrd=/bionicdog/initrd1.xz noauto from=UUID:1a56b14c-c465-4487-b899-f92f572dea8e/bionicdog/ copy2ram changes=EXIT:UUID:1a56b14c-c465-4487-b899-f92f572dea8e/bionicdog/casper/
That continues to update using Synaptic.

Over the last week I have also installed to an 8GB Nano USB2 stick with two partitions - fat32 & ext4
The syslinux.cfg for that contained a single active line.

default /bionicdog/vmlinuz initrd=/bionicdog/initrd1.xz noauto from=UUID:abcfb1d3-af3a-47a7-b353-379ceccb5ad9/bionicdog/ copy2ram changes=EXIT:UUID:abcfb1d3-af3a-47a7-b353-379ceccb5ad9/bionicdog/casper/
That also worked fine on an old 2012 Samsung Atom net-book with 2 GB of DDR2 RAM and I had been hoping to install it next
to a USB3 stick with a 2 partition (fat32/f2fs) layout but found that the current initramfs lacks support for system boot from f2fs.
It appears that "f2fs" needs to be added to the end of /etc/initramfs-tools/modules before updating the initramfs.
I held off so doing for fear of unintended consequences. In addition to the earlier load of the f2fs kernel module,
f2fs-tools loaded via Synaptic, would also be needed.
Perhaps it is something to consider for the next version.

Full sized screen-shot here: (Press F11 to toggle into full screen then click on link)
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view ... DAyw6uTWTP

Thanks once again.
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

ITSMERSH

#393 Post by ITSMERSH »

Hi.

Is there a real time kernel available for BionicDog?

If so, what would I need to do to have BionicDog running with such real time kernel?

Thanks

fredx181

#394 Post by fredx181 »

ETP wrote:Testing:
Thanks for testing !!
About f2fs support, I could make it work for 32-bit but not for 64-bit, don't know why, very frustrating !!
Nice (looking at your screenshot), what you've done with it.

@ITSMERSH, I think I can make a "package" for a realtime kernel from a Debian Sid version (seems like Ubunu doesn't provide it, only option "low latency" kernel). Is it for 32-bit what you need ?

Fred

ITSMERSH

#395 Post by ITSMERSH »

Hi Fred.

Yes, 32bit.

Thanks.

fredx181

#396 Post by fredx181 »

Hi ITSMERSH, here's real time kernel 4.16.0-0.bpo.2-rt-686-pae for BionicDog 32-bit
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/2p8 ... ar.gz?dl=1 It's from Debian Backports.
Extract in "casper" folder, should overwrite initrd1.xz and vmlinuz.
(better backup these files first)

Reboot

Hopefully it works as you would expect.
One small problem I had sometimes that starting X took very long.
I found that holding a key (e.g. Alt) for a few seconds triggered it and X started for me.
(no idea why, btw)

Fred

wiak

#397 Post by wiak »

Hi Fred,

I finally finished my frontend for git (program name wiagit). I needed it cos my memory is too short these days to remember all the git commands on my own.

Developed and tested on XenialDog64 but should work fine on any recent system that has gtkwialog (required).

Find wiagit deb package at below link (I put depends on gtkdialog in Debian control since I noted your gtkdialog deb from XenialDog64 repo contains gtkwialog - hope that works for you):

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... ?p=1000715

wiak

fredx181

#398 Post by fredx181 »

Thanks wiak !!

Looks very advanced your wiagit program, I guess you learned much more about git usage.
I added it to Xenial and Bionic 'Dog' repos, also added new "gtkdialog_0.8.5-wiak-B-1" package to Bionicdog repos now.
(I put depends on gtkdialog in Debian control since I noted your gtkdialog deb from XenialDog64 repo contains gtkwialog - hope that works for you):
Yes, should work fine that way, I wanted to avoid having both gtkdialog and gtkwialog in repos, so in control file "Depends: gtkdialog" is the best IMHO.
(this assumes to have latest "gtkdialog" (0.8.5-wiak-B) installed, but that will be automatically done if a package depending on gtkdialog will be installed or upgraded)

Fred

wiak

#399 Post by wiak »

fredx181 wrote:Thanks wiak !!

Looks very advanced your wiagit program, I guess you learned much more about git usage.
Yes, I understand it all better now... When I earlier uploaded the source code for gtkwialog repo I had no idea what I was doing so just made a brand new repo with my new sources because I didn't know how to merge in my changes to legacy gtkdialog code. Drawback, which I recognised, is that the previous gtkdialog tracking history gets lost doing things so crudely. I'll fix/redo that later. i.e. re-fork legacy gtkdialog again and then correctly merge in my additions on the DebianDog gtkwialog repo. I'm taking a rest for now though.

wiak

wiak

#400 Post by wiak »

fredx181 wrote:Thanks wiak !!

I added it to Xenial and Bionic 'Dog' repos, also added new "gtkdialog_0.8.5-wiak-B-1" package to Bionicdog repos now.
Sorry, Fred, I updated wialog slightly (just cosmetic alteration that was annoying me). Kept same version number because too lazy to change it:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 10#1000810

I am unlikely to alter it so quickly again...

wiak