Page 146 of 189 [2827 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, ..., 187, 188, 189 Next
Author Message
aarf
PostPosted: Sun 20 Nov 2011, 13:21    Post subject:

playdayz wrote:
Quote:
playdayz there is a setting in 528 which stops windows going through the top of the screen when dragged by their title bar. can you tell me what it is? racy and slacko have a different setting and in them, when i do the same drag to the top of the screen, the window disappears and comes up hidden below the bottom tray. any ideas? thanks
openbox vs jwm?

Yes aarf, it looks like openbox vs jwm to me, In 5.2.8 I just tested and the window stopped at the top in openbox, but when I changed to jwm it went right through the roof Wink However, the openbox that is in the Slacko repo is not configured by default exactly the same as the one in Lucid 5.2.8.

Did you install lupufy-slacko into racy? If so, did it work OK? I would think it probably would, but I haven't tested that. Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


did it work? i'd say yes. have openbox and fbpanel running in racy. title dragged windows are stopping at the top of the screen and not disappearing. can push windows higher if i use non-title alt+drag as in jwm.
other things from lupufy are there and at quick test seem to work.
for this bit
Quote:
Openbox is available in the Slacko PPM as fbpanel and obconf. Use Menu -> Desktop -> WM Switcher after install to select Openbox

needs to use at prompt

Code:
#startx openbox

may have to start
Code:
#fbpanel
only once.

because Menu -> Desktop -> WM Switcher isnt there in racy.
above image is the pets installed in racy.
also installed separately PupSnap-1.6.1_Scrot-0.8_32Bit.pet to do screenshots
playdayz
PostPosted: Sun 20 Nov 2011, 12:28    Post subject:

Quote:
playdayz there is a setting in 528 which stops windows going through the top of the screen when dragged by their title bar. can you tell me what it is? racy and slacko have a different setting and in them, when i do the same drag to the top of the screen, the window disappears and comes up hidden below the bottom tray. any ideas? thanks
openbox vs jwm?

Yes aarf, it looks like openbox vs jwm to me, In 5.2.8 I just tested and the window stopped at the top in openbox, but when I changed to jwm it went right through the roof Wink However, the openbox that is in the Slacko repo is not configured by default exactly the same as the one in Lucid 5.2.8.

Did you install lupufy-slacko into racy? If so, did it work OK? I would think it probably would, but I haven't tested that. Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Instant Update 002 for Lucid 5.2.8 with USB Installs

It appears that Instant Update 002 for Lucid 5.2.8 may cause a problem with sound disappearing in some USB installs. Therefore if you install to a USB drive or flash disk, or if you save files on a USB drive or flash disk, it is recommended that you do one of these three things: 1) do not install Instant Update 002; 21) use the Instant Update 002a; Instant Update 002a -> http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Instant_Update-Lucid528-002a.pet 3) use Three-Headed Dog. For a USB install with all of the latest updates, you might wish to try Three-Headed Dog which is based on Lucid 5.2.8 but with the newer 2.6.37.6 kernel from Slacko. Three-Headed Dog is not an update of Lucid 5.2.8 so you would need to start from scratch. -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70736 If you are already using Instant Update 002 with no problems, then do nothing.
.
aarf
PostPosted: Sun 20 Nov 2011, 03:01    Post subject:

playdayz there is a setting in 528 which stops windows going through the top of the screen when dragged by their title bar. can you tell me what it is? racy and slacko have a different setting and in them, when i do the same drag to the top of the screen, the window disappears and comes up hidden below the bottom tray. any ideas? thanks
openbox vs jwm? so i need to do openbox in racy-slacko?
edit ok fixed racy
playdayz
PostPosted: Sat 19 Nov 2011, 21:48    Post subject:

Lupufy Slacko

If you like some features of Lucid that are not present in Slacko then you might find Lupufy Slacko interesting. It lists most of the Utilities that are in Lucid but not Slacko individually with links to their thread so they can be installed individually. There is also a lupufy-slacko all-in-one pet that installs them, uh, all in one.

Lupufy Slacko -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=73580

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions concerning the loss of sound after it has worked for a while:

1. Does this only happen on usb installs?

2. Does it happen on an install of lupu-528.iso with no updates or other programs installed?

3. Does it happen after Instant Update 002 is installed?

4. Does it happen on Three-Headed Dog?
playdayz
PostPosted: Fri 18 Nov 2011, 19:04    Post subject:

Quote:
When opening Gnome-mplayer 1.0.4,from the menu>file tab there was always a choice to 'Open Audio CD'.That no longer appears and I'm also unable to add an audio cd(should I so wish) even by using 'file>open folder'option.However,if I roll back to version 0.9.9.2,from menu file>disc>open Audio cd option is present.

Brown Mouse, Yes, this was a tradeoff. Version 1.0.4 had some improvements but it had a bug that prevented audio CD playback. Pmusic is now the default CD player if you click the CD, or pcd if you don't have the Pmusic Upgrade installed--CD Player/Ripper from the menu.
.
Brown Mouse
PostPosted: Fri 18 Nov 2011, 09:52    Post subject:

Playdayz

I'm not sure if this has been flagged up yet or whether it's only a problem I'm seeing.I don't even know at what point it occurred either so I cant be of much help there.
When opening Gnome-mplayer 1.0.4,from the menu>file tab there was always a choice to 'Open Audio CD'.That no longer appears and I'm also unable to add an audio cd(should I so wish) even by using 'file>open folder'option.However,if I roll back to version 0.9.9.2,from menu file>disc>open Audio cd option is present.
playdayz
PostPosted: Thu 17 Nov 2011, 18:47    Post subject:

Quote:
Pmusic 2.2.2 update installed,works great

Good news. Thanks. If anyone is wondering, it is firm now: There is the Instant Update 002 for Lucid 5.2.8 and there is the Pmusic Upgrade. That's all for a while.
Brown Mouse
PostPosted: Thu 17 Nov 2011, 18:25    Post subject:

playdayz wrote:
Quote:
The Super Multimedia Update for Lucid 5.2.8 will not be released

Are you referring to the one that is currently the RC Super Multimedia Update?

Yes nooby. There is a problem with the newer mplayer version leaving a box on the screen after selecting from a DVD menu. Instead of the SWM (Super Multimedia Update), there is a Pmusic_Upgrade which has the other half of the Multimedia Upgrade, and provides the dependencies for running Pmusic 2.2.2.

Pmusic Upgrade provides the dependencies to upgrade Pmusic to version 2.2.2, and then further updates can be downloaded from the pmusic thread http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Pmusic_Upgrade-Lucid528.pet

If for some reason you like the Multimedia Upgrade and you don't play DVD's with gnome-mplayer then you can leave it installed or uninstall it. If you uninstall it, then gnome-mplayer will do better with DVD menus--though XineDVD is still the recommended default for playing DVD's. The Pmusic Upgrade is for people who want to use the latest Pmusic which has a lot of cool new features over the 1.8.3 that is in Lucid 5.2.8. The Pmusic_Upgrade is not small however, 3.7MB because of the dependencies.


Thanks for the clarification playdayz.

Pmusic 2.2.2 update installed,works great Very Happy
playdayz
PostPosted: Thu 17 Nov 2011, 18:01    Post subject:

Quote:
The Super Multimedia Update for Lucid 5.2.8 will not be released

Are you referring to the one that is currently the RC Super Multimedia Update?

Yes nooby. There is a problem with the newer mplayer version leaving a box on the screen after selecting from a DVD menu. Instead of the SWM (Super Multimedia Update), there is a Pmusic_Upgrade which has the other half of the Multimedia Upgrade, and provides the dependencies for running Pmusic 2.2.2.

Pmusic Upgrade provides the dependencies to upgrade Pmusic to version 2.2.2, and then further updates can be downloaded from the pmusic thread http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Pmusic_Upgrade-Lucid528.pet

If for some reason you like the Multimedia Upgrade and you don't play DVD's with gnome-mplayer then you can leave it installed or uninstall it. If you uninstall it, then gnome-mplayer will do better with DVD menus--though XineDVD is still the recommended default for playing DVD's. The Pmusic Upgrade is for people who want to use the latest Pmusic which has a lot of cool new features over the 1.8.3 that is in Lucid 5.2.8. The Pmusic_Upgrade is not small however, 3.7MB because of the dependencies.
Brown Mouse
PostPosted: Thu 17 Nov 2011, 17:26    Post subject:

playdayz wrote:
Quote:
would like (no offense..!) to open files with the best software package to handle them. And Openoffice supports more file formats then Abiword, and displays less garbage when I throw microsoft documents at it.

Volhout, I tend to agree with you but as you say, Abiword is in Puppy for size reasons--IMHO simply small size would not be a good enough reason, but Abiword does also open *simple* docx files reasonably well, and I bet that most files people come across and need to open are docx. For more serious work, there is Libre Office.

I would have thought that changing the defaultwordprocessor would cause word processor files to open in Libre Writer. For spreadsheets you would need to change defaultspreadsheet. And I am not sure about presentation files, since there is not a default presentation program. This all could be automated--with some work--right now we are using 01micko's Get LibreOffice program to make installing easy. He could possibly add the defaults to that program, if he could find the time and you ask nicely Wink

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Super Multimedia Update for Lucid 5.2.8 will not be released. There is a bug in the new mplayer that screws up DVD menus worse than ever. If you like it there is nothing wrong with it other than that, but since one reason for upgrading was to *fix* the problem with DVD menus it seems pointless to make it official. XineDVD is the default DVD player and has no problem with menus, but it seemed that since gnome-mplayer is right there on the desktop it should play DVD's at least decently, and it does with Instant Update 002.. XineDVD also has better quality with Instant Update 002.

However, Pmusic_Update for Lucid 5.2.8 is released. It provides the dependencies to update Pmusic to version 2.2.2 (and then further updates of Pmusic can be installed from the Pmusic thread).

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Pmusic_Upgrade-Lucid528.pet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People might want to look at the first message of this thread. It now has the Instant Update 002, plus sections for Recommended Updates and Optional Updates.


Hi playdayz

Are you referring to the one that is currently the RC Super Multimedia Update? Confused
playdayz
PostPosted: Thu 17 Nov 2011, 14:43    Post subject:

Quote:
The script should probably be altered to quit cleanly and error if it can't find what it's looking for. I

Yes it is changed Jades

Install Flashplayer. Adobe moves Flashplayer so the original GetFlash is obsolete. This program prevents obsolescence. Run it every week or two to keep up with the latest Flashplayer. ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet_packages-lucid/flash_install-0.1.pet

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those who use Three-Headed Dog, Instant Update 001 for 3HD is posted in the first message of that thread. This is an improvement over the RC. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70736
Jades
PostPosted: Thu 17 Nov 2011, 12:42    Post subject:

nooby wrote:
When will they ever learn. Never ever under no cicumstance upgrade. Always always start afresh and make everythings fresh install Smile


Or at least make sure that your save is backed up first, in case something does go wrong.

nooby wrote:
That is the Puppy rule man! Smile Yes I am a sinner too. When the old works so well it is a core to install everythign again but the rule is there for a reason. Do a new install and not an upgrade!


I've generally been lucky with upgrades. One of the wierdest things I've seen during testing was in the run-up to Lupu 520. I'd been using the same Lucisave on the K6 since Luci 238 without problems right up to Luci 246. Once the RC Lupu 516 came out I found I couldn't create new saves. After a lot of testing, I found that the problem had actually started in Luci 242 but I hadn't noticed it at the time as I wasn't creating new saves.

Now, of course, creating a new save is a major part of my testing but I generally upgrade.
Jades
PostPosted: Thu 17 Nov 2011, 12:13    Post subject:

playdayz wrote:
Yes. The easiest way to kill the multiple splash screens was to restart X.


I thought it as good an excuse as any to investigate LXTask. Smile

playdayz wrote:
I was testing something the first time it happened and I about died, thinking "How could I have caused this?!" But I finally figured there was no relation. Whew.


Yeah, always a little odd when unforseen wierdness coincides with one changing something that was completely unrelated. The script should probably be altered to quit cleanly and error if it can't find what it's looking for. I suspect it would've also message spammed in cases where the internet connection was unavailable too, which was my first thought when it happened to me.
rerwin
PostPosted: Wed 16 Nov 2011, 20:11    Post subject:

Sylvander,
Thanks for the new diag file. Note that when the speaker icon disappears, "retrovol" has crashed, probably because something is not right with the sound setup, or it has not been fully activated.

I think the multimedia card may be the issue, in that it contains 2 separate sound devices that use the same driver, snd-cmipci.
    0 [CMI8738 ]: CMI8738 - C-Media CMI8738
    C-Media CMI8738 (model 37) at 0xd000, irq 9
    1 [CMI8738_1 ]: CMI8738-MC6 - C-Media CMI8738
    C-Media CMI8738 (model 55) at 0xa400, irq 10
Their events that trigger module loading are:
    12:59:59 add_0000:00:0b.0_pci_0x13f6_0x0111_pci:v000013F6d00000111sv00001681sd0000A650bc04sc01i00
    12:59:59 add_0000:00:05.0_pci_0x13f6_0x0111_pci:v000013F6d00000111sv00001043sd000080E2bc04sc01i00

Puppy treats them as the same sound card, whichever gets assigned to be device 0. Assuming that the number is assigned in the order the events occur, maybe the events can occur in either order. Both diag files show the one identified as 0000:00:0b.0 occurring first. Maybe 0000:00:05.0 is the actual sound card part. You could check this by entering this command during a session where the sound is normal:
Code:
grep '0111' /tmp/udevtrace.log
I am hoping that 0000:00:05.0 will be listed first. Also list the device assignments with:
Code:
cat /proc/asound/cards
To see if the order is reversed.


The next thing to try is wary 5.2, to see how it handles the multimedia card. You might simulate what you did to get your second diag file, by rebooting wary and making a pupsave file, then installing its service pack and rebooting again. And try whatever you can think of that might kill the speaker icon.

Note that others are suspecting a connection with USB flash drives, so look out for that factor.

Quote:
1. When I tried to create a lupusave file at 1st shut-down, that attempt FAILED!
That concerns me. That should not happen unless you you have no space for the file. Can you give more details? All the other stuff you did to work around that simply confounds the problem. Please try the normal pfix=ram, reboot and make pupsave procedure -- on a hard drive or even a multisession CD, to avoid any issue with USB drives. Resolve the failure, so we can have a "pure" test. Thanks.
Richard
playdayz
PostPosted: Wed 16 Nov 2011, 19:33    Post subject:

Quote:
would like (no offense..!) to open files with the best software package to handle them. And Openoffice supports more file formats then Abiword, and displays less garbage when I throw microsoft documents at it.

Volhout, I tend to agree with you but as you say, Abiword is in Puppy for size reasons--IMHO simply small size would not be a good enough reason, but Abiword does also open *simple* docx files reasonably well, and I bet that most files people come across and need to open are docx. For more serious work, there is Libre Office.

I would have thought that changing the defaultwordprocessor would cause word processor files to open in Libre Writer. For spreadsheets you would need to change defaultspreadsheet. And I am not sure about presentation files, since there is not a default presentation program. This all could be automated--with some work--right now we are using 01micko's Get LibreOffice program to make installing easy. He could possibly add the defaults to that program, if he could find the time and you ask nicely Wink

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Super Multimedia Update for Lucid 5.2.8 will not be released. There is a bug in the new mplayer that screws up DVD menus worse than ever. If you like it there is nothing wrong with it other than that, but since one reason for upgrading was to *fix* the problem with DVD menus it seems pointless to make it official. XineDVD is the default DVD player and has no problem with menus, but it seemed that since gnome-mplayer is right there on the desktop it should play DVD's at least decently, and it does with Instant Update 002.. XineDVD also has better quality with Instant Update 002.

However, Pmusic_Update for Lucid 5.2.8 is released. It provides the dependencies to update Pmusic to version 2.2.2 (and then further updates of Pmusic can be installed from the Pmusic thread).

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Pmusic_Upgrade-Lucid528.pet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People might want to look at the first message of this thread. It now has the Instant Update 002, plus sections for Recommended Updates and Optional Updates.
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 146 of 189 [2827 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, ..., 187, 188, 189 Next

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group